Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC*SE vs Delta*G

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The airline that you claim is transparent, did not publish a non-north american origin award chart for YEARS.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...d-its-a-doozy/

Delta also charges AC like scamcharges on all foreign-origin travel in addition to travel on some partners even on tickets originating in North America.

This is on top of the 200,000+ SkyPesos required to go overseas in coach. Unlike Aeroplan (Star Alliance in general) - it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a low award seat on international routes.

As much as Aeroplan has devalued in the last year, SkyPesos may be good for domestic upgrades, but for international award travel, especially up front - youre really gonna claim SkyPesos are better? Really?
You seem desperate to find something, anything, that you can claim either that Delta's is a terrible program, or alternatively that it's much worse than Air Canada's. What's next? They have a terrible logo?

So I just tried finding a DL award in F on YVR-SYD return. I got the non-low-level rate of 480K points, and about $180 in fees. That's as the equivalent of a Prestige in DL's program.

Last time I tried booking the same thing on Air Canada, as Super Elite, I was quoted 699,000 points, and more than $800 in fees.

So if you're going to claim that DL is not a very good program for you, then fine. But if you're going to claim that DL is better than Air Canada, it ain't gonna wash.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:28 pm
Original Member

But no matter, for me upgrades are the totallity of the program. I don't care about redemptions. All I care about is a large seat the falls within my budget.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by KenHamer
You seem desperate to find something, anything, that you can claim either that Delta's is a terrible program, or alternatively that it's much worse than Air Canada's. What's next? They have a terrible logo?
Why the hell am I being portrayed as an Air Canada defender? Have you not read any of my posts on this board?

Since when can you redeem Delta awards in F ????

Lets take YVR-SYD since you brought it up

YVR-SYD is easy to get with any Star Alliance carrier via Asia.
Do a search on United - 120k in J - 140k in F - Asia and Australia together.

Same flights would be available with Aeroplan for whatever points and scamcharges they charge. Since your Delta example is not non-stop, you can use UA using Aeroplan for ZERO scamcharges.

And yes, you can use those SkyPesos on VA to Australia - but that comes up with Aeroplan-like scamcharges.

Please show me where I've said in the last year on this board that Aeroplan is a good program - but claiming SkyPesos is a good program for international redemptions is laughable.

Again, while Delta may have a good program for domestic upgrades, using points internationally is terrible. Just that simple. Look at the award success thread in the DL forum - people think that a low ticket to Europe is a "score"! With Star Alliance, you'd have to be unlucky NOT to get a ticket to Europe in low.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:41 pm
Original Member

And finally, a review of my very first DL flight experience.

Last week, booked SEA-BUF return, in F, on-line. Easy experience, no problems at all. And I liked the way various options were presented, and particularly like the icons that described which features would be available on each flight. Paid $32 more than the l lowest upgradeable fare on YVR-YYZ, but got F instead.

Checked in online, worked perfectly, very easy.

No bags, so went straight to security -- the premium line, and bypassed everyone. Security was easy didn't even take my belt off, walked through the metal detector, and was done.

Into the lounge, where several friendly agents greeted me. Found a spacious be relatively empty (Sunday morning after all) lounge, that was clean, quite, equipped with several internet terminals and had free hi-speed wifi throughout. Free tended bar, and various breakfast snacks including bagels, fruit, cereal and yogurt, etc -- all the usual stuff.

Boarding pass said boarding starts 40 minutes prior to departure, but I didn't believe it so started down to gate at about 35 minutes. Found boarding for SEA-MSP already well underway with huge economy class line up. Went to the front of the "Sky Priority" line, and was immediately waved to board.

Go on board an older but clean and well maintained 757, with huge comfy seats. Friendly, helpful and courteous crew helped me to my seat, brought me pre-flight beverages, offered to hang my coat, and did a thoroughly good job.

No IFE - in fact no video of any kind. So I watched "Sunshine" and the first part of "The Man Who Knew Too Little." IFE is now part of the passenger.

Didn't use the inflight WiFi, but the guy next to me was on it the entire flight.

Excellent breakfast, similar in essentially every regard to AC breakfast on longhauls. I had the omelette with ham and potatoes, some croissants, big bowl of fruit, and juice. I like this better than the AC version, but that's only a personal taste preference.

Flight departed and arrived on time. Usual snacks, beverages, water, etc offerred throughout flight.

All in all, 10/10. Very pleased.

Next up, MSP lounges and MSP-BUF.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Again, someone has noted that I am comparing SE to Delta G, and I guess that is my point. On domestic, my G status gets me upgraded on every flight. I rarely upgrade domestic flights preferring to use my upgrade credits for international...I don't fly Delta on international, so I would expect it is much harder for a G to be upgraded on those.
Out of curiousity, do the flights you find so easy to upgrade on as DL *G typically originate or terminate in Canada? It is not as normal to get upgraded domestically in the U.S., but that depends heavily on date/time/city pair...

Cheers
Old May 28, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This is on top of the 200,000+ SkyPesos required to go overseas in coach. Unlike Aeroplan (Star Alliance in general) - it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a low award seat on international routes.
IMPOSSIBLE? Not really.

Old May 29, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Out of curiousity, do the flights you find so easy to upgrade on as DL *G typically originate or terminate in Canada? It is not as normal to get upgraded domestically in the U.S., but that depends heavily on date/time/city pair...

Cheers
My experience has always been that the flights to/fro Canadian destinations are best for upgrades - few Medallion Status members in general. Also, when flying into one and two horse midwestern locations at off times, a much better chance even as FO.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by SFO777
IMPOSSIBLE? Not really.

yes, I know you can cherry pick routes with AF service, and those are easier
Its not too bad out of YYZ either. But not everyone lives near an AF/KL city

Now do a simple search for YYZ-CDG in coach for July

Star Alliance - 20/31 days available for low
Delta.com - 1/31 days available for low

so I agree, not impossible - if you are willing to depart on Jul.23.

Business is comparable - Delta has 3/31 days open in July, and Star has 20+

I am still waiting to hear back up to the claim of how you can use SkyPesos for F internationally.

As for upgrades, never missed one out/into Canada as a lowly Gold on United either.
When Delta allows me to go around the world with 3 stops in F for 140k like United miles do, I'll switch back. Until then I am still working on spending my mile-jacked hard earned NW WorldPerks on anything useful.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Free Agent
My experience:
DL is my preferred second program- and with RJ out of YWG to MSP (my main route), silver is plenty as it gives me 1 free bag and access to exit row upon booking. I use AMEX plat for lounge access. If I need to go farther afield in the US, I use my AC flight pass- the SE status is handy for overseas but not so much in NA. I have redeemed DL pesos to such hot (and expensive) places as Witchita KS- worth every point I spent. Am targeting DL pesos to upgrade rather than outright redemption; AE for outright redemption and toasters.
My fav part about DL- Skybonus program for small business- as I have mentioned in other posts, it is the best (ease of use, ease of redemption) small biz loyalty program out there.
My wish- the the DL branded cards offered MQM in Canada...
Old May 29, 2012, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
One other point I should make is that when I miss a flight on NA, Delta charges nothing to rebook. AC constantly is charging me fees to either take an earlier flight or rebook, and God forbid you need to change departure day. I can do it as I am always on business, but if is still brutal.

I do notice that as a G on Delta, there are no international upgrades available. I was speaking with a colleague who is Diamond though, and he is upgraded on virtually every flight, domestic or international. That is very compelling. That being said, I don't mind the point system AC has brought in though, particularly for international as it is much better than the old certificate model. I am upgraded more often than not, although this year I will likely run out of upgrade credits early, and will need to do some overseas travel in coach.

Last edited by LockheedElectra; May 29, 2012 at 9:49 am Reason: Typos
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
latest flight

So I flew Delta to MIA yesterday, and did get on a 737 with personal screen, and the entertainment system was very good. I got into the lounge not he way back as the MIA to YYZ was considered international. Lounge was actually pretty good. Upgraded on 4 of 4 segments, but again no meal, but lots of room. One thing I really like is that they board business first (even before other status), so with the number of upgrades I have been getting, it seems very civilized in comparison to AC.

A note to AC if anyone reads this; direct flights YYZ to MIA arrive right in the middle of the day where I cant really do anything useful: arrive at 12:45 and leave at 1:30.. really? For someone on business, it is a wasted day. I need to be able to get there in the evening and leave in the evening so I have a full day. Must be scheduled for snow birds...so it will remain Delta with it's 6 hour connected flights...
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Member

In the small but comfy US lounge, awaiting my DL flight.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Have you tried using your Delta miles for anything useful at low levels yet?

If not, you are gonna be singing a different tune soon.
Do it all the time. Tons of low mileage awards, including 100K in business class on Air France to Brussels. Never mind Costa Rica, Las Vegas, Orlando etc etc. Never a problem getting low mileage fares. And I get upgraded on all of these !!
Absolutely no contest
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
One other point I should make is that when I miss a flight on NA, Delta charges nothing to rebook. AC constantly is charging me fees to either take an earlier flight or rebook, and God forbid you need to change departure day. I can do it as I am always on business, but if is still brutal.

I do notice that as a G on Delta, there are no international upgrades available. I was speaking with a colleague who is Diamond though, and he is upgraded on virtually every flight, domestic or international. That is very compelling. That being said, I don't mind the point system AC has brought in though, particularly for international as it is much better than the old certificate model. I am upgraded more often than not, although this year I will likely run out of upgrade credits early, and will need to do some overseas travel in coach.
This is not true. There are no automatic international upgrades on Delta. You must pay for M class or higher and use your SWU's or use miles to fly J. End of discussion. Conversely the domestic upgrades are 100% for me.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer

So I just tried finding a DL award in F on YVR-SYD return. I got the non-low-level rate of 480K points, and about $180 in fees. That's as the equivalent of a Prestige in DL's program.

Last time I tried booking the same thing on Air Canada, as Super Elite, I was quoted 699,000 points, and more than $800 in fees.

So if you're going to claim that DL is not a very good program for you, then fine. But if you're going to claim that DL is better than Air Canada, it ain't gonna wash.
As SE I can get good aeroplan rewards for domestic flights. I refuse to use miles for overseas travel on AC d/t high YQ fees. I will always fly United and leave out of the USA. If I was not SE the aeroplan thing just would not work. For Delta I have always been able to find low level award tickets over the past five years. Plus the fees are very low. The search engine for Delta is pretty good and the Diamond line is perhaps the best in the business, with the concierge service a not too distant second. Delta is awesome for ALL America's travel. I get upgrades to central america and some parts of South America as automatic. For international I use SWU's since I know I will be in J when I book. I refuse to play the e upgrade game with AC. I am 0 for 6 on TPAC upgrades in tango plus fares. I have not time for these games.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.