Wiki Posts
Search

Massive miles discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
Massive miles discrepancy

I just checked my aeroplan transactions and noticed something curious and disturbing and I'm wondering if anyone has an answer. On April 10th I flew from IAH-FRA on UA in economy, earning 5221 status miles.

On April 25, I flew from FRA-YVR on LH, again in economy but I only earned 2501 status miles.

Both flights were approximately 10 hours thus I was assuming they'd be in the same range of status miles (allowing for westbound flights' slower path of course). Both tickets were in the same booking class. Eight months ago flying AC YYC- FRA got me 4678 status miles. What gives? I know AC is hacking away at status miles for TAPC flights, but I hadn't heard anything about star alliance partners doing something similar....
Old May 3, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by vliegle
I just checked my aeroplan transactions and noticed something curious and disturbing and I'm wondering if anyone has an answer. On April 10th I flew from IAH-FRA on UA in economy, earning 5221 status miles.

On April 25, I flew from FRA-YVR on LH, again in economy but I only earned 2501 status miles.

Both flights were approximately 10 hours thus I was assuming they'd be in the same range of status miles (allowing for westbound flights' slower path of course). Both tickets were in the same booking class. Eight months ago flying AC YYC- FRA got me 4678 status miles. What gives? I know AC is hacking away at status miles for TAPC flights, but I hadn't heard anything about star alliance partners doing something similar....
different airlines within an alliance offer different earning rates for their partners.

Most airlines offer better mileage earning for their own members when they travel on their own airline. So AC fares may earn you 100% each time.

But travel with a partner, and you may get something less than 100%.

(For example, all economy fares earn 100% on my Qantas account when I fly Qantas, but if i fly Cathay or AA, I may only get 50%)

Check the airline earning table on AC - see how much LH credits for the booking class you were in.

That may assist you in seeing if the miles were credited correctly.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
IIRC LH earns 50% on some booking classes.. not sure but it would make sense as it is 50% miles FRA-YVR
Old May 3, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive

What booking class was it?

On LH you earn 100% for F, A, C, J, D, Z, Y, P3, B, M, H, Q, V, G, K1, U2 and only 50% on W, S

On UA you earn 100% on , A, J, C, D, Z, P1, Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N1

Moral of the story - stay away from LH.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:25 pm

Booking Class Aeroplan Miles
F, A, C, J, D, Z, Y, P3, B, M, H, Q, V, G, K1, U2 100% of miles flown

W, S 50% of miles flown

*** Until July 31, 2011 Aeroplan Members earn a minimum of 500 miles according to the booking class purchased.
1 Effective for travel as of July 1, 2011, booking class K will no longer be eligible for accumulation. For travel until June 30, 2011, earn 100%.
2 Effective for travel as of July 1, 2011, earn 100% in booking class U. For travel until June 30, 2011, earn 50%.
3 Effective for travel April 1, 2012, booking class P will no longer be eligible for accumulation. For travel until March 31, 2012, earn 50% on Intra-European Flights and 100% on Regular scheduled flights (excluding Intra-European Flights)
* Charter flights and code-share flights operated by any Lufthansa code-share partner other than Star Alliance airlines are not eligible.

Do your flights qualify for 100 or 50 %?
Old May 3, 2012, 8:26 pm

And mendy beat me to it... lol
Old May 3, 2012, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
Dannnnnnng. It was S. Son of a........
Old May 3, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
You learn some lessons the hard way.
I spent an extra 1,500 to buy a flight from TG instead of LY BKK-TLV because I wanted the miles. I found out after the flight that there are no miles for LY codeshare even when purchased from TG. LY also refused to credit me.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
My most annoying experience in this regard was years ago flying FRA-PEK with LH using my UA number. It turned out that the LH flight was operated by Air China, which of course is not Star Alliance. Zero miles.
Old May 4, 2012, 3:14 am

Air China is *A... now. Of course I don't know when they joined!
Old May 4, 2012, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by trooper
Air China is *A... now. Of course I don't know when they joined!
ummm... I actually was thinking the same thing so i googled it... 2007!
Old May 4, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
yes LH "S" for SOL!

UA is the best bet for europe as its 100%. I have done the same on UA IAD-MUC etc and you earn over 10,000 r/t.

LH is tough, 50% if you are lucky as they are exprensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.