Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blocked seats for SEs and ACMM

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Blocked seats for SEs and ACMM

I have reguested this so many times but AC never seems to be able to deliver what CP used to do for its elite members. Simply block the seat next to me esp on a small aircraft. That is all I have ever asked.

Today I flew from LGA to YOW and of course the flight was half full and I was placed next to someone else but all I wanted was one of the open rows.

I got one, but only at the last minute. My point is why cannot AC now in the year 2012 do what CPI did some 11 years ago? Really this means alot to those of us who fly alot and need some courtesy. It should be really easy to program this into the seat charts.

Old May 1, 2012, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be quite pleased to have AC extend that courtesy to us.^
Old May 1, 2012, 8:27 pm

Does LH not do it for their senators and *G?
Old May 1, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by hearna
Yup!

I hope that AC offers this legitimate improvement!! ^
Old May 1, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I would also like to see his with the exception of preferred rows.
I wouldn't want to miss an exit row or bulkhead because someone else reserved the seat next to the one I want.
Anywhere else on the plane, I don't see a good reason why not. Heck, block off the row if I am sitting in Y so I can lie down (if there are enough empty seats).
Old May 1, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by hearna
Yeah, LH does it for me. But as an AC SE, AC doesn't do it for me!
Old May 1, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
From what I can remember, LH does not do this on the long hauls. But for sure LX does.

If you look at the seat charts on EF, they are even recorded there as blocked.

Seat blocking would stop the whining on upgrades. OK maybe only a little. From me yes.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9790; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.336 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

BMI used to do this for *Gs as well. I presume they are continuing with whatever they're new program is. It made it a real treat to travel on BMI.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Thanks everyone for your support on this long standing issue.

Lets hope that someone at AC is listening (Andrew?). It is really an annoyance for us Frequent Flyers to be stuck in a Y row with someone else when there are open rows elsewhere on the flight.

Frankly I do not care if I am in the front rows or the back as long as I have an open seat next to me. My recent flights from YOW to LGA show this record of indiscrinate service where absolutely no consideration is giving to FFers at all.

Yes, I can request a seat change at the gate but that is not the point. I always ask at the gate and I am slowing down the checkin line as a result. A simple bloc would speed up the process and leave everyone happy where it is possible.

Old May 2, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I know they did, up until at least a few years ago, block seats next to SEs. I think it's a great idea, and I mean, if there are going to be empty seats, might as well leave them next to the top teir pax and make them happy! Maybe they could add this to just the SE benefits...chances are on full flights it wouldn't happen anyways, but for those times that it does, it could be VERY nice....

LH does for Sen and Hon members, and sometimes for *G! I find them to actually be really good about this, even though I'm only an AC*E! On european legs, this means that meal aside, you're practically in business class (same seating arrangement, priority ground service, elite baggage allowance/tag, etc)...
Old May 2, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
OK, say there are 3 empty seats on a flight, and 8 SE's in Y.
Boy are you going to hear a lot of grousing from the 5 who didn't get the empty
one.
Or should the seat assignments all be re-arranged at the last minute so the empty
seats are netween 2 SE's?

This would open a whole can of worms, maybe best if AC avoids it.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
I'm surprised to hear people (SE's especially) questioning the motives or lack of customer service from AC when we've seen a steady decline for quite some time.

The thought that someone exists with half a brain cell in HQ is laughable to begin with, but if they do exist the thought that they'd go to so much effort to 'block' a seat next to a SE is pure comedy. Once you've purchased the fare you're at their mercy (see thread about the guy who was bumped courtesy of an off duty employee).

To think that anyone from a first time flyer to a multi-million miler is truly appreciated is a joke and it doesn't appear to be getting any better any time soon. We can hold out hope for what should happen or what happens on other *A carriers but suffice it to say we're fighting a losing battle.

Just my 2 cents!
Old May 2, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Thanks everyone for your support on this long standing issue.

Lets hope that someone at AC is listening (Andrew?). It is really an annoyance for us Frequent Flyers to be stuck in a Y row with someone else when there are open rows elsewhere on the flight.

Frankly I do not care if I am in the front rows or the back as long as I have an open seat next to me. My recent flights from YOW to LGA show this record of indiscrinate service where absolutely no consideration is giving to FFers at all.

Yes, I can request a seat change at the gate but that is not the point. I always ask at the gate and I am slowing down the checkin line as a result. A simple bloc would speed up the process and leave everyone happy where it is possible.

This goes hand in hand with the the issue of backfilling an aircraft. Seems every time I get on an AC Express CRJ or Dash8 that is less than 50 per cent capacity, the bulk of passengers are sitting forward of the wing. Guess what? Weight and balance issues, so now the FA has to move a number of people after they've settled in.
AC...Backfill your planes...The loading/departures will be smoother.
AC...Block seats next to Elites/SE/*G. Other airlines do it?
Cost to AC to implement? probably $0.00 Benefit to implement? Untold benefits.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
OK, say there are 3 empty seats on a flight, and 8 SE's in Y.
Boy are you going to hear a lot of grousing from the 5 who didn't get the empty
one.
Or should the seat assignments all be re-arranged at the last minute so the empty
seats are netween 2 SE's?

This would open a whole can of worms, maybe best if AC avoids it.
Your logic applies perfectly to justify that there shouldn't be any upgrades either.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by 100,000miler

Lets hope that someone at AC is listening (Andrew?).

Is he even still around? Seems like AC has given up on this forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.