Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How other airlines handle delays

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You may have forgotten the IKK and 100% tier bonus (not exclusive to AC flights only) as well as the gifting of the eUpgrade credits.

They fly AC J with IKK with their points. When they pay to fly, they fly other *A airlines.

I have no data to support that many SE's are doing this but it is definitely a "loop hole" especially with Tango now earns 50% on international flights but similar discount economy fares on some other *A airlines still earn 100% on Aeroplan, some situations may even qualify for the 100% tier bonus.

It simply does not make sense for those flying 10K on AC and 90K on other *A be treated "better" by AC as SE's than those E's who fly 40K on AC and 10K on other *A. Those E's contribute more to AC's bottom line than those SE's!

This is of course on the assumption that AC uses Aeroplan to reward loyalty to AC and not loyalty to *A.

For those strong supporters of AC who fly 90K on AC and 10K on other *A, this should be a non-issue if the minimum AC miles is raised. The current minimum of 10K is low. I think 55K is reasonable for SE but maybe somewhere in between?

Maybe ACTT can comment.
IKK is almost dead. As a multi year SE I can attest to the fact that IKK today is a remnant of what it used to be. With the AC scamcharges it is barely worth redeeming anything on AC anyway. I have redeemed a few mini RTWs and have always steered clear of AC.

the 100% tier bonus as well as other aeroplan miles are given by the airline that you fly. when i fly ua and i get the 100% bonus miles they come from ua and not ac. So i am not really sure why you would imagine this would be a drain on AC?

Also when you redeem seats AE actually pays money to the operating carrier. There is a reason why AC loves AE. AE is the biggest customer of AC. Your statement is just as reasonable as me assuming that people travel on other airlines and then redeem AE miles on other airlines as well as the scamcharges are less or non existent (LX/TK/SQ etc). In this case most flyers would be better off by joining other loyalty programs that don't charge YQ on redemptions.

I am still struggling to see how any of this is a drain on AC or what AC needs to fix. You get benefits but the benefits are only useful when you fly with AC so if you (or your nominee) don't fly with AC you dont experience any benefit. The eupgrade credits are useless unless you or your nominee are flying with AC to be able to use them. Either scenario provides revenue to AC. eupgrade credits by themselves do not guarantee you a seat up front. They merely give you a chance to sit upfront if a seat is empty but they do incentivise you or your nominee to fly with AC over a competitor which is the point of a loyalty program anyway.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Allvest
Last two flights I was on in J in Germany (fra txl and fra zrh), I was the only passenger in business. Maybe a small sample size but certainly not an indicator of a strong paid J market there.
Try an overseas flight from FRA and your random sample will almost certainly yield different results.

There is a reason that for example LH's 333 has 8 F and 48 J seats compared to 37 J on AC - and it's not because of "free" upgrades given out by LH to their premier members!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:09 am
Suspended

I am not SE but for other than YYZ, I had very good experience with the Concierge agents as Executive First passenger. For North American travel, I now rely on On My Way which appears to be 200% better. Concierge service comes in really handy in case of an irregular operation.

At YYZ, Concierge agents will refuse to talk to you if you are not SE notwithstanding that you're travelling in Executive First.
Absolutely disgraceful. I had a thread about that earlier in the year and got lambasted for being so elitist as to require the service of a concierge for an eldery couple I booked in J/F on my points....anyway.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
UA is very good @ protecting their GS & 1K. The few people, probably UA GS & 1Ks.

Again if one is UA GS or 1K UA will book on other carriers.

As UA 1K , I have had no issues UA booking me on other carriers. Several times they have booked me on other *A carriers due to cancellations & in full J or F if J is sold out on international flights^
You mean like this??? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18472928-post332.html

Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by becreative
IKK is almost dead. As a multi year SE I can attest to the fact that IKK today is a remnant of what it used to be. With the AC scamcharges it is barely worth redeeming anything on AC anyway. I have redeemed a few mini RTWs and have always steered clear of AC.

the 100% tier bonus as well as other aeroplan miles are given by the airline that you fly. when i fly ua and i get the 100% bonus miles they come from ua and not ac. So i am not really sure why you would imagine this would be a drain on AC?

Also when you redeem seats AE actually pays money to the operating carrier. There is a reason why AC loves AE. AE is the biggest customer of AC. Your statement is just as reasonable as me assuming that people travel on other airlines and then redeem AE miles on other airlines as well as the scamcharges are less or non existent (LX/TK/SQ etc). In this case most flyers would be better off by joining other loyalty programs that don't charge YQ on redemptions.

I am still struggling to see how any of this is a drain on AC or what AC needs to fix. You get benefits but the benefits are only useful when you fly with AC so if you (or your nominee) don't fly with AC you dont experience any benefit. The eupgrade credits are useless unless you or your nominee are flying with AC to be able to use them. Either scenario provides revenue to AC. eupgrade credits by themselves do not guarantee you a seat up front. They merely give you a chance to sit upfront if a seat is empty but they do incentivise you or your nominee to fly with AC over a competitor which is the point of a loyalty program anyway.
Unless you are one of those who fly 10K on AC and 90K on other *A airlines, the increase in minimum AC miles requirement should not affect you. The rest is irrelevant. You don't need to understand it.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At YYZ, Concierge agents will refuse to talk to you if you are not SE notwithstanding that you're travelling in Executive First.
Not always.I have a friend that is E and was on a connecting flight from Chile(AC) to Sudbury. He approached one of the concierges at YYZ to get him on an earlier flight to Sudbury. They accomodated him.^
He was on a latitude fare connecting to Jazz flight with no J cabin.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Unless you are one of those who fly 10K on AC and 90K on other *A airlines, the increase in minimum AC miles requirement should not affect you. The rest is irrelevant. You don't need to understand it.
Any "enhancement" affects me and other frequent flyers. So yes I need to understand it. But your arguments are not well articulated. I am still trying to understand this fascination between the 10k/90k split and why anyone would want to become an AC SE when they only fly 10k with AC and 90k with say UA. You are just better off becoming a UA 1k (or any other frequent flyer member at that point).
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
Not always.I have a friend that is E and was on a connecting flight from Chile(AC) to Sudbury. He approached one of the concierges at YYZ to get him on an earlier flight to Sudbury. They accomodated him.^
He was on a latitude fare connecting to Jazz flight with no J cabin.
As the saying goes, your experience may vary. I never had good experience with YYZ Concierge but I had good experience with Concierge at other stations.

If your friend was flying in Executive First from Chile, he/she is entitled to the Concierge service.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your friend was flying in Executive First from Chile, he/she is entitled to the Concierge service.
Agreed,he was not in J however.The agent was out front directing customers and he just walked up and asked the lady for help. at approximately 730am
Old May 1, 2012, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
Agreed,he was not in J however.The agent was out front directing customers and he just walked up and asked the lady for help. at approximately 730am
We all know that AC is consistently inconsistent. Nothing new!
Old May 1, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We all know that AC is consistently inconsistent. Nothing new!
I will put the positive spin here and say that they got it right.They looked after a customer.^ even though not SE OR travelling in J
Old May 1, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I had to laugh yesterday.
Flying yesterday with SQ from HKG-SIN, just as I boarded the bus to
take the Airport Express train, I received a SMS from the station manager
informing me that the flight was delayed 1 hour due to late incoming a/c.

Then, at check-in,they gave me a HKG 180 ( approx CAD 22) meal voucher
due to this delay, despite serving a full meal in their lounge, and again on the
plane.

Can you imagine AC doing this?
I occasionally have received phone calls from concierges in Edmonton to advise my flight is delayed an hour or more. Of course you must remember that SQ has maybe four or five flights a day from HKG, so it is possible to contact premium/elite customers of such delays. AC has hundreds of flights each day from its main gateways so such calls are not practical or logistically possible. But that's also why one subscribes to AC's delay service to get such messages.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:31 pm

Silk Air - 3 hours late

Two weeks ago I flew Silk Air(MI) SIN-CEB - flight was 3 hours late due to late arrival of aircraft. Flying in economy class I was given a 20SGD food voucher in T2 food court, a 10SGD phone card to notify my party about the delay. I was pleased with the service and compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.