Wiki Posts
Search

TPAC Tango: goodbye AC!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
AC to you : BYE BYE Bottom Feeder

If you want to fly in J .. buy a J seat ... !! this is the only way ... AC is a for profit company, don't like the policy, you're welcome to move somewhere else ...
It's this sentiment that shows an indifference to the problem. We are frequently cajoled, encouraged to fly AC and collect AE points and status miles for "privileges" which are listed off on the AE/AC websites. These are promises made for "loyalty". Then all of a sudden things change and we are no longer welcome and the promises evaporate or are diluted year after year. Its AC that sets the expectations from us then change the rules.

If they only want people in "paid J seats" then don't promise upgrades as a perk of loyalty, at all for everyone.
Its simple really. AC want their cake AND to eat it.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by gesmith10
Glad all of you AC elites are leaving for United. Makes room for people like me who have left United for AC!

You'll enjoy United as long as:

1) you never want an upgrade. 1k flyers are a dime a dozen on United roughly like Prestige on AC. Expect to be around 25th on a typical flight wait list if you fly 100,000 miles a year

2) in the unlikely event you do get upgraded you need to pay $500 + 20k miles each way
English language translation: I don't fly UA, but I'm an expert on their frequent flyer program.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC Elite, *Alliance Gold, Marriott Elite Silver
Question: What happens to AE points earned so far if someone switches to United now? If someone has ~20,000 status miles on AC. If they start crediting rest of miles to UA, they may not get status on either program.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by xLuther
FWIW, just checked on my YEG-IAH-YEG flight, booked with AC, return leg is UA IAH-YEG.
$75 & 20,000 to get biz class on that flight
I've still got +35K UA points so may do it
And what would it cost (in dollars and points) for a non-status Air Canada passenger on a Tango fare for the same upgrade on Air Canada flights?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Member

... AC is a for profit company,
How can you tell?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Member

don't like the policy, you're welcome to move somewhere else ...
I did.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Their most loyal customers are the people who pay J all the time,
All 4 of them?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by KenHamer
English language translation: I don't fly UA, but I'm an expert on their frequent flyer program.
I heard from a cousin of my neighbour who posted something on FlyerTalk in 2008 that UA sucks, and you never get an upgrade, so it must be the case, always. rah rah AC is the best.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Member

YOUR STATEMENT is 100% WRONG.

Their most loyal customers are the people who pay J all the time, they make AC REAL MONEY unlike someone who can't even afford 1,500$ for a return (that barely covers their cost) ...
Then the solution is obvious. Air Canada simply needs to do away with the economy cabin altogether, and become an all-business-class airline.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
As I have said before, this is AP plan to reduce cost by pissing off more customers. It is a good news if AP lost customer because eventually we are all just "cost" to them.

All they need is just a few 'real' frequent flyers to keep up their business.
I have long and often stated that if Air Canada was to get rid of all of their employees and all of their customers, their marginal costs would drop to almost zero overnight.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
It's this sentiment that shows an indifference to the problem. We are frequently cajoled, encouraged to fly AC and collect AE points and status miles for "privileges" which are listed off on the AE/AC websites. These are promises made for "loyalty". Then all of a sudden things change and we are no longer welcome and the promises evaporate or are diluted year after year. Its AC that sets the expectations from us then change the rules.
Sounds to me like bait-and-switch.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by alexthe5th
Ah yes. "Bottom Feeder".

I work for a multinational electronics company that has a policy of flying everyone in economy-class fares, including the CEO. We have some flexibility in terms of the carriers we choose, and we buy a lot of TPAC fares.

We get rewarded for our loyalty to AC by getting the occasional upgrade to J - and this isn't a "bottom-feeder entitlement", we pay for this by choosing to fly AC over other carriers, even if it's more expensive.

If AC doesn't want customers who can "can't even afford $1500 for a return", then I apologize on behalf of all companies affected by the economic downturn that can't afford to fly all their employees in paid J. I suppose we can't all be investment bankers, now can we?

If these people "make AC real money", as you put it, then I propose AC gets rid of economy class altogether and switches to entirely J class aircraft. I guarantee you'll see AC slip into bankruptcy faster than you can blink.

As tyberius said: "lose the Y customers and lose the airline".
That's the great irony of the Air Canada business model; they keep harping on how they absolutely must slash costs to the bone, but they feel that their salvation will be individuals and corporations for whom cost is no object.

Has it not occurred to them that many other companies are also attempting to slash, or at least contain, costs? What would they expect would happen if they effectively and significantly raised the fares for the same product (i.e. large increases in both T and T+ fares) while their competitors are offering more benefits for the same fares?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by miltonguy
Question: What happens to AE points earned so far if someone switches to United now? If someone has ~20,000 status miles on AC. If they start crediting rest of miles to UA, they may not get status on either program.
That's why those decisions are best made around Dec-Jan.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
And what would it cost (in dollars and points) for a non-status Air Canada passenger on a Tango fare for the same upgrade on Air Canada flights?

Only way I know of would be a LMU offer at check in ( have no idea on Tango fare, never purchased one and probably never will. I would go broke on same day flight changes @ $150 a pop, $75 is already stupid. ( company agrees, no Tango fares, just too restrictive )

AC as we all know sucks at upgrade choices unless you have status and eupgrades.

But UA biz class domestic is pretty much a bigger seat and spotty food/beverage service. AC tends to actually feed and serve their Biz class passengers.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
What we need is for NH, SQ, JL, etc. to get a few slots at YYZ and get some real competition going for TPAC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.