Wiki Posts
Search

TPAC Tango: goodbye AC!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by xLuther
That was offer when I went to choose my seat $75, 20,000 points, nothing miss leading about it at all
The OP is going to be UA Elite eventually - even the lowest elites get the $75 waived on domestic upgrades.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The OP is going to be UA Elite eventually - even the lowest elites get the $75 waived on domestic upgrades.
You do know what "FWIW" means right ?

Not arguing that, just stating standard UA offers available, never seen a $500 plus miles as someone posted here, so posted my latest offer.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xLuther
You do know what "FWIW" means right ?

Not arguing that, just stating standard UA offers available, never seen a $500 plus miles as someone posted here, so posted my latest offer.
You ll see $500 + miles to Australia and such. They do exist.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by alexthe5th
I'm a frequent TPAC flyer (YYZ-NRT) and I'm thoroughly disgusted at the new fare structure for these flights.

1. The new 50% status mile, non-upgradeable Tango fares are the same price as the old Tango Plus fares, and the new Tango Plus fares, at an extra $500+ for a return trip, are just as useless as Latitude.

2. All the work I put in last year to specifically fly AC to get status for this year is now for nothing, because I was intending to use all my upgrade points on TPAC flights. Now the fares are non-upgradeable. What a waste.

3. How are any TPAC frequent fliers supposed to get 50,000 miles for Star Alliance Gold with only 50% status mile accumulation? That's a lot of flights to Asia and back - enough to earn SE status in previous years.

So there's only one conclusion: goodbye Air Canada and forget about Aeroplan. They're basically doing everything in their power to screw over their most loyal customers at this stage of the game.
AC to you : BYE BYE Bottom Feeder

If you want to fly in J .. buy a J seat ... !! this is the only way ... AC is a for profit company, don't like the policy, you're welcome to move somewhere else ...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by alexthe5th
So there's only one conclusion: goodbye Air Canada and forget about Aeroplan. They're basically doing everything in their power to screw over their most loyal customers at this stage of the game.
YOUR STATEMENT is 100% WRONG.

Their most loyal customers are the people who pay J all the time, they make AC REAL MONEY unlike someone who can't even afford 1,500$ for a return (that barely covers their cost) ...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats absolute crap. I've missed ONE out of about 20 upgrades into/out of YYZ to/from SFO, ORD, DEN, IAD. And thats as a lowly 1P. Yes, IAD-SFO is a different story, but what do you expect when half the cabin is filled by people on employer paid F.

And when there is a seat, an elite gets it, unlike AC, where up front may as well be called employee class.

I love how all the AC lovers here are trying to bash the OP's choice in a desperate attempt to divert attention from the issues.
I hope I am not coming across as desperate or diverting attention.
The OP has an opinion,I respect their decision to move elsewhere.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Their most loyal customers are the people
Their most loyal customers are most certainly not people, but corporate entities.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by jarusoba
But what's the point of flying AC in Tango fare, sitting in the back, being a UA 1K? Might as well fly UA and be treated better, if the OP doesn't mind going thru the US!
+1 that's why I am not happy about Tango fare with AC... But than, AC make their goal of "we not happy until you are not happy"....

And thanks for all the eUP given me as SE this year where I can't really make good use of them.

Buying Tango Plus fare to Asia is rewarding AC's negative behaver.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:26 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
YOUR STATEMENT is 100% WRONG.

Their most loyal customers are the people who pay J all the time, they make AC REAL MONEY unlike someone who can't even afford 1,500$ for a return (that barely covers their cost) ...
While I agree with your comment, it should also be noted that AC is not in a position to alienate anyone whether they are "bottom feeders" or full-fare paying pax.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
As I have said before, this is AP plan to reduce cost by pissing off more customers. It is a good news if AP lost customer because eventually we are all just "cost" to them.

All they need is just a few 'real' frequent flyers to keep up their business.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by acysb87
I have been effected by only one work stoppage to date.Having 40+ segments to date in 2012 on AC metal,I can say with all sincerity that I have not experienced the 'grab bag of awful' that many here are suggesting.

AC Express has been polite and accomodating.AC mainline has shown that the staff are professional.They have been courteous and attentive to my requests and changes in itinerary.They are working to make my travel experience(s) positive and are succeeding.
Are there hiccups,absolutely.They happen and are dealt with.There is flexibility shown at times too.

I hope the airline survives,AC needs to change as do their customer expectations about what we get from Aeroplan (here,I agree with most that this program is broken)
While you have not been affected by it, you can't dismiss it's happening to other people. I also have not been affected by it (the work disruptions that is), but clearly the grab bag of awful is there:

1. Aeroplan increasing point levels for redemptions
2. Aeroplan adding fuel surcharges for half of star alliance
3. Tango Plus fares cranked up for long haul international, old Tango Plus replaced by useless fares for eUpgrade users / FF collectors
4. Wildcat strikes causing delays and cancellations for flyers
5. Pilot sick-ins
6. Unending problems with each union causing a general cloud of uncertainty

Now if you have not been affected personally, this means you buy Latitude and business class tickets, you don't ever redeem Aeroplan points, and you threaded the needle over the various work actions. That makes you a lucky and privileged flyer but it doesn't mean that other people are not affected by this mess. Because they certainly are.

I've not had any issues with flight delays or cancellations, and all AC/AE staff has been awesome to me. Always get great service in the call centers. But on the Aeroplan side I'm certainly affected as I redeem points. My flying patterns have been affected as I've lost sight of the utility of SE or even E and am spreading myself around the various airlines and alliances now. That affects AC, and I know I am not the only one here on FT who has been affected and in turn is affecting the revenue of AC and I don't buy the argument that we are unique, rather I think we are fairly representative.

It doesn't matter about the people who are not affected by any of the grab bag of awful in the end, it only matters that some people are and any sizeable percentage of their customer base will cause major problems for them.

I don't think they could lose 10% of their customers and survive. So even if 9 out of 10 are in "don't care, all systems go" mode it's not important. What's important is that 10% or 5% ... or wherever the thin line between survival and death lies for them.

If they're bleeding cash (as they always seem to be), can't fix their labor issues, and continue to make it rain on their execs, then losing any customers at all is a death knell.

I certainly am not aware of anyone out there going, wow, look at all those great new changes at AC, I'm going to switch over my business from Porter/WestJet/anyone. The very thought seems strange and alien.

Again, I really like flying AC. The staff, I cannot think of a single time in the past 3 years where I've dealt with a problem employee. On the phone, or in the planes. I like the product. I think I've had one loser meal in all that time. IFE sucks but beyond that my complaints are about the decline of the FF program and that's caused me to seek out the competition. At the end of the day the competition is good too, and if AC won't fight for my loyalty, while they (the competition) are doing so (and beating AC on price all the while), then I end up spreading my cash around. When AC devalues the *relationship* with the customer, then the customer will devalue the relationship right on back.

The attitude of some people on this board of "ha-ha, it's better for me now, good bye bottom feeder" I think is short sighted. Every butt in every seat contributes to the bottom line and these planes cannot fly empty in Y and filled with super elites in J.

Lose the Y customers and lose the airline.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
AC to you : BYE BYE Bottom Feeder

If you want to fly in J .. buy a J seat ... !! this is the only way ... AC is a for profit company, don't like the policy, you're welcome to move somewhere else ...
Ah yes. "Bottom Feeder".

I work for a multinational electronics company that has a policy of flying everyone in economy-class fares, including the CEO. We have some flexibility in terms of the carriers we choose, and we buy a lot of TPAC fares.

We get rewarded for our loyalty to AC by getting the occasional upgrade to J - and this isn't a "bottom-feeder entitlement", we pay for this by choosing to fly AC over other carriers, even if it's more expensive.

If AC doesn't want customers who can "can't even afford $1500 for a return", then I apologize on behalf of all companies affected by the economic downturn that can't afford to fly all their employees in paid J. I suppose we can't all be investment bankers, now can we?

If these people "make AC real money", as you put it, then I propose AC gets rid of economy class altogether and switches to entirely J class aircraft. I guarantee you'll see AC slip into bankruptcy faster than you can blink.

As tyberius said: "lose the Y customers and lose the airline".
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Their most loyal customers are most certainly not people, but corporate entities.
And corporate entities are made up of people.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyberius
Lose the Y customers and lose the airline.
I have been caught by a wildcat at 6am on my way to YUL. Made the decision to drive as soon as announcement made of a 3-4 hour minimum delay.
Latitude is still a Y fare and I am a Y customer. I have purchased discounted J ,never full J.
Only on the most rare occasion will I redeem AE points for myself. Family is quite happy coming to BGI in Y,home from YVR in Y. Mrs.acysb87 has the J cabin priviledge
Aeroplan is broken for me,yet works for those whose expectations are greatly reduced from mine.IOW ,free tickets so to speak.
I still consider the upgrade lottery to be just that, a game. I like to stack the odds against the house when I can.I am betting well for 2012 but know and expect that streak to end.(did a voluntary downgrade recently to get me home earlier)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevy_boy
And corporate entities are made up of people.
They may be made up of people, but certainly do not act or more importantly buy like people.

Corporate entities do not act/buy rationally, and more importantly emotionally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.