Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Booking on US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Award Booking on US Airways

I've booking an awards flight from YOW-PHL-TPA and then TPA-DCA-YOW return. All of these flights are US Airways. I am Elite and will be travelling with my wife(also an award ticket) who has no status. Both tickets are economy bookings.

Since this is my first award flight not on AC I'm wondering if there are any surprises, or tips I should be aware of? I've already checked into their baggage policy and see that as Star Alliance Gold I get the three checked bags at no charge. Is this typically a smooth process? What about lounges at PHL or DCA, any tips?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by VWBurg; Apr 18, 2012 at 4:55 am Reason: Adding a few more details.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Don't expect anything out of the ordinary when flying US, either positively or negatively. Many people like to bash them for inferior service etc., but in my extensive experience flying with them, they keep improving. At the very least, you won't have to worry about your itinerary being cancelled due to illegal strike action. Aircraft are becoming consistently cleaner and departures are usually more on time than AC.

As a *G you can expect three free bags for each of you if you are on the same PNR, priority boarding and lounge access. as an AC*G, US no longer allows you to select "choice" or "preferred" seats as they did in the past, and their lounges aren't much to write home about. However, they are no worse than the United Clubs and are on par with any other US carrier's offerings in this area.

My only concern with your itinerary is the connection in PHL. I do my best to avoid it whenever possible, as it is delay-prone, the staff there are typically rude, and bags frequently do not make connections with you. Hopefully you have a decent amount of time to connect in PHL, as arriving from YOW you will land in the F "regional" terminal and have a substantial walk to your next gate for a mainline flight. In my experience, DCA is a much better city to connect through as given its location, flights get a higher priority for on-time departures and arrivals and it is simply not as large as PHL. The lounge in DCA is also nice and I've always found the staff friendly and helpful.

Enjoy your flights!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! We have 1.5hrs in PHL, certainly enough time to get through the terminal, hopefully enough time for the bags

We are both on the same booking, so my wife would also get the three bag allowance? That's more generous than I expected for sure.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:06 am

I echo the comment about PHL delays. Two years ago I had a series of YYZ - PHL flights and in many of them we pushed back, taxied to the UPS area of YYZ, and then shut down and sat until PHL figured a gate would be available when we got there.

Coming back flights were routinely 1.5 to 2 hours late. I've taken to avoiding PHL (and EWR, similar reason) for personal travel and prefer to change at DCA or even (gasp) ORD.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
In PHL, you can access the Envoy lounge in the A gates if you have 30 minutes to spare. It's a bit of a walk, but it is the 2nd nicest lounge in North America (after the NZ Koru in LAX).

The PHL lounge that is up an elevator at the B/C Terminal is nice - acceptable snacks and drinks.

Lastly, I would agree with the other posters - transiting in PHL in the early morning/late afternoon is just asking for a delay.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks again guys! We are scheduled to land at 8:25 and leave at 9:55. Hopefully that's just past the rush.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by VWBurg
Thanks again guys! We are scheduled to land at 8:25 and leave at 9:55. Hopefully that's just past the rush.
I see US has upgauged 1 of the daily YOWPHL to E70 from CRJ.

If your PHL flight is on Air Wisconsin ("AWA") it will be a CRJ200 and dock in Terminal F @ PHL. If it's Republic ("RPA") it will be an E70 and could dock at Terminal B/C or F.

F to B/C is a bus ride. No re-clear required.

PHL-TPA will depart Terminal B/C. US club in Term A @ PHL is not woth the walk IMO, just use B/C closest to your departure gate.

There is a US Club @ TPA for use prior to your flight home - US has a solid presence at TPA.

On your way home, DCA is a great connection airport. In / out of Terminal C @ DCA. Also a nice US Club there.

Don't expect too much and you won't be let down . . . Enjoy.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Don't expect too much and you won't be let down . . .
These words should be stamped on the every US Air ticket printed...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The Envoy Club in PHL no longer exists as such. It is now just a "regular" US club, although it features soup and olives around dinner time, as does the CLT club in the C concourse.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I echo the comments on PHL. I don't think I have ever had a flight through PHL that wasn't delayed or cancelled (okay, there have only been 8 of them on US or AC because I avoid it). I have had no problems with DCA and have found the lounge to be quite pleasant.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
I flew US in "first" 2 years ago TPA-DCA, it was a very basic experience-no food, entertainment or smiles. The lounge in DCA was crazy busy and not at all relaxing or pleasant however the lounge at TPA was great-very limited offerings but large, clean, relaxing and nice views.

As a AC *G there was no issue with my baggage.

Enjoy Florida!

SYD/YYZ
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I have transited many times between YOW via PHL to other US cities, over the years. The first flight may have been occasionally slightly late - but I have always kept my connection (also on time or minimally late).

Once the PHL to YOW flight was 1/2 late. I planned to drive from Atlantic City to PHL, with the intention of arriving 45 minutes before departure. I arrived around departure time (it was Sunday evening - the traffic between Atlantic City and Philadephia was very heavy); fortunately, I could catch the plane because it was 30+ min late (and I did not have to check a bag).
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Last long weekend in August. my family and I drove to SYR as we did not want to pay for a free flight out of YOW and we flew US Airways on award tickets through IAD South and CLT North as we enjoyed West Palm Beach. Its was nice, but no screaming hell. Everything cost money and the seats are hard. No TV's and one movie on a shared projector like the old days. US Airways lounges are like all US lounges, MLL are far superior.

Like everyone has stated, dont expect much, enjoy the almost free flight!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by DaveTO
These words should be stamped on the every US Air ticket printed...
To be fair, the B737-400 product to leisure Florida is far different from US service to business destinations/hubs.

AC has standardized IFE across the fleet - you get quality IFE to TPA/MCO etc . . . That said, I would prefer a wifi US A321 transcon over AC's IFE
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have transited many times between YOW via PHL to other US cities, over the years. The first flight may have been occasionally slightly late - but I have always kept my connection (also on time or minimally late).

Agreed.
OP has the best chance for timely flights- If you have to connect via EWR/PHL/LGA, do it first thing in the AM.
If you're flying in the PM, try to get routed via CLT/DCA/DTW . . . Far less delay-prone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.