Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan-->Discontinued??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Aeroplan-->Discontinued??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Red face Aeroplan-->Discontinued??

Hi,

Sorry if this question is ridiculous , but my Mom said the Toronto Star had an add a few weeks ago stating that Aeroplan was being discontinued. She is with CIBC Aeroplan and has quite a few miles. Can anyone tell me if there is any validity to this or was she wrong?

Thanks

Paul
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:52 am

The article was probably about people getting surprised about their Aeroplan miles expiring without notice. Not about the program being discontinued.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fritzyyz
Hi,

Sorry if this question is ridiculous , but my Mom said the Toronto Star had an add a few weeks ago stating that Aeroplan was being discontinued. She is with CIBC Aeroplan and has quite a few miles. Can anyone tell me if there is any validity to this or was she wrong?

Thanks

Paul
Maybe mom was confused, maybe CIBC is going to discontinue Aeroplan as a partner as CIBC probably has lost quite a few customers who dumped their Aerogold cards(like I did).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Ok I was pretty sure she was wrong, but I am glad that all of you have helped me confirm it. I am thinking it does have to do with the expiry of miles.

Thanks everyone,

Paul
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Maybe mom was confused, maybe CIBC is going to discontinue Aeroplan as a partner as CIBC probably has lost quite a few customers who dumped their Aerogold cards(like I did).
I assume that's why CIBC has been waiving annual fees on their Aerogold cards lately.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arcanum
I assume that's why CIBC has been waiving annual fees on their Aerogold cards lately.
You got that right!!! ^
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by djjaguar64:18416322
Originally Posted by Arcanum
You got that right!!! ^
Any advice how to get them to waive it?
I have switched to Aspire World and I was going to cancel my CIBC card, but if it's free I might just keep it another year.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Any advice how to get them to waive it?
I have switched to Aspire World and I was going to cancel my CIBC card, but if it's free I might just keep it another year.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...year-free.html

offer is for new customers but you could always cancel if they won't waive it, or you could always cancel the aerogold then get the aerogold visa infinite
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wwtsang

offer is for new customers but you could always cancel if they won't waive it, or you could always cancel the aerogold then get the aerogold visa infinite
I asked the question earlier this year.I did an annual spend of +50K per year.Asked for a retention bonus or waive the annual fee. Answer was that they would not do it,but may re-consider once I decided I would cancel the card
I hung up,zeroed out the card,called back and cancelled card and have not looked back.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by wwtsang

I was asking about waiving the fee without cancelling.
I don't use it anymore and only swipe about $50 a month on it now that I use Aspire.
The only reason I would keep it is for my credit, I have $37,000 available on this card and I have had it for over 10 years. My other cards are all newer.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87
I asked the question earlier this year.I did an annual spend of +50K per year.Asked for a retention bonus or waive the annual fee. Answer was that they would not do it,but may re-consider once I decided I would cancel the card
I hung up,zeroed out the card,called back and cancelled card and have not looked back.
Good for you !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.