Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airlines shooting themselves in the foot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines shooting themselves in the foot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by nowinyow
As a SE, I value the level of service I receive. I could not care any less about the points. They're completely useless for travel (fuel charges etc) and I'm not into La Croix toasters.

I'd propose to AC a method whereby AC could save/make money AND keep some loyalty paying customers. I'm using the premise that frequent flyers are more interested in the perks rather than the miles. Therefore, gaining status without the points.

Let's assume 1 point for travel of short haul. (Use the current chart to define territories and divisions below)
2 points for travel on *A anywhere in North America.
3 points for travel anywhere in North America on Air Canada.
4 points for to eastern Europe on *A carriers
5 points for eastern Europe on Air Canada
6 points for travel on *A to Middle East/Asia
7 points to Middle East/Asia on Air Canada
9 points to Australia
10 points to Australia on Air Canada

The sum of points earned after one year would set the status for the member.

When purchasing a ticket, the user can choose to NOT earn AE points, but only the travel points to attain status. I'm sure there could be a reduction of fare (better than $5.00). Regardless of fare paid, the trip counts as status, but no mile point accumulation.

Therefore, people like myself could still attain SE status because of flying every week, mostly short haul or N America, provided we ensure MUCH of that travel is on AC. Others who travel more international could also attain status. And finally, AC won't be spending cash to award miles to an AE account.
The only problem with such a system is that it penalizes those who buy short-haul tickets. If this were Australia, where I can buy SYD-MEL for $39 a/i, I wouldn't mind. But having spent $900 o/w on YQT-YXU, I want some f*&#ing miles.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gesmith10
Porter is great if you want to fly turbo props everywhere like it is 1972 or something - I'll stick with Air Canada and 777-300ERs thanks.
1972???

The Q400s are as fast and roomier than the lousy Barbie jet(RJ100)

I like the 777-300 as well but they do not service YYZ/YQT

I picked the A330 over the B777 this weekend as time was better
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by gesmith10
Porter is great if you want to fly turbo props everywhere like it is 1972 or something - I'll stick with Air Canada and 777-300ERs thanks.
You can fly Toronto to Sudbury on an AC 777-300?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Jagboi
YSB's population would double.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Runway length might be an issue. Landing s/b OK
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Santander
YSB's population would double.
Greater Sudbury has a population of +160,000. Catchment area of +300,000 for flights ex YSB. Porter has added 4 flights weekdays over the last few years and AC Express is adding Q400s in place of the trusted battletank Q100.(more seats too)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Shouldn't it have been "Shooting themselves in the wing?"

Or landing gear?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by nowinyow
Let's assume 1 point for travel of short haul. (Use the current chart to define territories and divisions below)
2 points for travel on *A anywhere in North America.
3 points for travel anywhere in North America on Air Canada.
4 points for to eastern Europe on *A carriers
5 points for eastern Europe on Air Canada
6 points for travel on *A to Middle East/Asia
7 points to Middle East/Asia on Air Canada
9 points to Australia
10 points to Australia on Air Canada
Yes there are economies of scale, but AC charges more for flights from the west coast to London Ontario than it does to London England some days, giving a 1:10 ratio for australian travel is nuts, some of us have to give them a lot of money for short hauls.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I want value for my money! You pay a lot from YYZ/YOW/YUL which is silly compared to YYC/YEG/YVR and of course T+ fares are more and more expensive. I still pay less to fly T+ YOW-YUL-LAX-YVR then I do YOW-YVR with T+! I double my points and it takes an extra six hours! I like using on 10 eUpgrades for this trip instead of 10 for YOW-YVR!

I stay loyal for the points for use OUTSIDE of Canada! I do the above trip on UA and its more stops but still cheaper and points on their cheap fares!

AC planes are also much, much better!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by hjohnson
Given all the turmoil we've seen in AP (as well as what I've seen in other FF plans) I'm left scratching my head as to the logic of it all. All the "Enhancements" that have occurred over the past several years, the airlines are pushing more and more people to shop for tickets based purely on price and schedule.

I just can't understand the logic of this. There is nothing more valuable to a company than a loyal customer who comes back time and time again, and yet the airlines seem to be intent on driving them away. Given the current financial situation of Air Canada, the folly of this just boggles my mind. If Rovinescu and the other higher ups had any functional brain cells between their ears, they would be doing everything possible to woo frequent flyers to themselves, not drive them away.
I think the fundamental question is not that dissimilar to what I was pondering here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-programs.html

My conclusion from all that is that FF programs were launched a long time ago, and management simply failed to foresee what would happen down the road (higher costs, lower fares, and swelling frequent flyer ranks). Now they are all scrambling to readjust these programs to fit the realities of today.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: *G
Im actually glad AC pushed me away with its horrible ffp. Ive started booking flights on the cheapest airline now when i used to book flights exclusively with ac that were more expensive and usually involved multiple stop overs to ensure i reached elite. Now i just pay for annual lounge access and flying is so much easier and less stressful
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by mattjames
Im actually glad AC pushed me away with its horrible ffp. Ive started booking flights on the cheapest airline now when i used to book flights exclusively with ac that were more expensive and usually involved multiple stop overs to ensure i reached elite. Now i just pay for annual lounge access and flying is so much easier and less stressful
The things I'd miss doing that is a) the lack of upgrades (I'm not permitted to buy J, so I'd always be in the back of the bus) and b) The concierges and priority when the proverbial fecal matter hits the fan. To be honest, lounges are nice but I rarely use them as I tend to avoid long layovers.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mattjames
I actually kind of contemplated just getting the AMEX Platinum card for lounge access since that's my biggest want when flying aside from getting bumped up in J. I wonder if my flying days would be much less stressful with just that credit card?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by hjohnson
I just can't understand the logic of this. There is nothing more valuable to a company than a loyal customer who comes back time and time again, and yet the airlines seem to be intent on driving them away.
There is a remarkable disparity between FF and FS (hotel) programs over the past couple of years and the gap is widening.

SG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.