Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rovinescu: FIX THIS.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by RogueViator
If there is/was such a thing as KLM Asia, why could there not be say a Lufthansa Canada or Lufthansa North America? Would this be a viable idea?
KLM Asia exists as a legacy of complex political reasons with the Chinese government's draconian foreign policy regarding Taiwan. There is no analogue in Canada or North America. LH (to use your example) could buy part of an existing airline in Canada and brand it under the Lufthansa family, but that would be poor branding for a Canadian airline and Canada's insignificant domestic air travel market wouldn't even be of business interest for LH.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by nowinyow
Leadership is defined by a quality to lead. It's been weeks and this man has taken no leadership, or ownership, over this dispute.

Read the writing on the wall. You have failed. Bow out, go with grace. Shame on the Board of Directors to allow this man to continue as a leaderless rudder.
Do you really think the BOD really cares??? They still get rich regardless...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by Santander
KLM Asia exists as a legacy of complex political reasons with the Chinese government's draconian foreign policy regarding Taiwan. There is no analogue in Canada or North America. LH (to use your example) could buy part of an existing airline in Canada and brand it under the Lufthansa family, but that would be poor branding for a Canadian airline and Canada's insignificant domestic air travel market wouldn't even be of business interest for LH.
British Canada?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:23 pm

The AC "brand" is in the toilet and the employees are just making things worse. What they don't realize is the traveling public no longer has any sympathy or cares for their "case".

AC's days are numbered.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
I'm not clear how much more dissatisfaction I can express at the moment.
I've put on hold the purchase of two flight passes, which would total about $18,000 in revenue. I'm just not comfortable with what is going on. I've rebooked many of my May flights on CO / UA / US as backups, because this whole thing is just sickening.

Both management and the unions at this point are idiots.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Here's a link that was forwarded to me:

http://blogs.canada.com/2012/03/21/d...g-up-with-you/

Dear Air Canada:

This is a hard letter to write. We’ve been together a long time. We’ve seen Vancouver and Ottawa together. You took me on my first trip to Newfoundland (and got me home in one piece after I had been “screeched.”) Those were good times.

But those times are gone, Air Canada.

I wanted you to be the first to know: I’m leaving you. I didn’t want you to learn it from someone else, or to hear it whispered that I was spotted here in Calgary slipping onto a West Jet flight to Toronto.

You see, Air Canada, I have to be strong and accept that ours was an abusive relationship. You took advantage of me, Air Canada. Sure, things started out great. You were easy to get along with, happy to see me and spend time with me. You were quick to laugh and smile. But then I started to see your surly side. Your snippy side. Your “I don’t give a crap” side. You held me hostage with threats of strikes and led me on with promises of doing better. But you never really tried. I tried to deny that you were hurting me. Even when my friends called me crazy and told me to be strong, to move on, I defended you. I said: Air Canada’s trying REALLY hard. I’m going to give it one more chance.

But after what you did on Sunday – not just to me, but to thousands of others – I finally faced the truth. You just don’t care about me. How could your pilots call in sick en masse, leaving Canadians stranded and unable to get home from March Break on one of the busiest travel weekends of the year? How could you cancel flights with 20 minutes’ notice and not even apologize? How could you be smug and entitled about your behaviour when you made me spend an extra $800 to get to where I was going?

No, I can’t hear any more excuses. I need a clean break.

But please know that, just because I’m leaving you, I am not insensitive to what you’re going through. I know you have family issues you’re dealing with and you’re under a lot of pressure. I know you’re unhappy. But I just can’t get caught in the middle anymore.

I hope you get things sorted out but, in the meantime, I’m going to be exploring my relationship with West Jet.

If you take just one thing from this rejection, please remember: It’s not me. It’s you.

Sincerely,

Rachel Sa
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:02 pm

Interestingly

90,310 people like Air Canada on Facebook
224,041 people like WestJet on Facebook
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Interestingly

90,310 people like Air Canada on Facebook
224,041 people like WestJet on Facebook
Like that really matters?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:09 pm

Dear Air Canada:

This is a hard letter to write. We’ve been together a long time. We’ve seen Vancouver and Ottawa together. You took me on my first trip to Newfoundland (and got me home in one piece after I had been “screeched.”) Those were good times.

But those times are gone, Air Canada.

I wanted you to be the first to know: I’m leaving you. I didn’t want you to learn it from someone else, or to hear it whispered that I was spotted here in Calgary slipping onto a West Jet flight to Toronto.

You see, Air Canada, I have to be strong and accept that ours was an abusive relationship. You took advantage of me, Air Canada. Sure, things started out great. You were easy to get along with, happy to see me and spend time with me. You were quick to laugh and smile. But then I started to see your surly side. Your snippy side. Your “I don’t give a crap” side. You held me hostage with threats of strikes and led me on with promises of doing better. But you never really tried. I tried to deny that you were hurting me. Even when my friends called me crazy and told me to be strong, to move on, I defended you. I said: Air Canada’s trying REALLY hard. I’m going to give it one more chance.

But after what you did on Sunday – not just to me, but to thousands of others – I finally faced the truth. You just don’t care about me. How could your pilots call in sick en masse, leaving Canadians stranded and unable to get home from March Break on one of the busiest travel weekends of the year? How could you cancel flights with 20 minutes’ notice and not even apologize? How could you be smug and entitled about your behaviour when you made me spend an extra $800 to get to where I was going?

No, I can’t hear any more excuses. I need a clean break.

But please know that, just because I’m leaving you, I am not insensitive to what you’re going through. I know you have family issues you’re dealing with and you’re under a lot of pressure. I know you’re unhappy. But I just can’t get caught in the middle anymore.

I hope you get things sorted out but, in the meantime, I’m going to be exploring my relationship with West Jet.

If you take just one thing from this rejection, please remember: It’s not me. It’s you.

Sincerely,

Rachel Sa
Great letter. Should be framed and hung in the offices of the board of directors at AC

Think of the impact of this suggestion from another " Book latitude tickets, and then cancel on flight day for a full refund. ".
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I've rebooked many of my May flights on CO / UA / US as backups, because this whole thing is just sickening.

Both management and the unions at this point are idiots.
And if my math is in the ballpark ($2.2bn per quarter x 7 hour online booking outage) today's little snafu on their website would have cost them about $5million.

Oh look. The same amount as Rovinescu's bonus for doing NOTHING.

Perhaps if he did us all a favor and got himself another job - giving up his little retention bonus in the process - we'd be right back where we were. Yesterday.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:29 pm

Perhaps if he did us all a favor and got himself another job - giving up his little retention bonus in the process - we'd be right back where we were. Yesterday.
In all this venting, have you stated that you've purchased tickets on other airlines for upcoming travel?

I saw a report somewhere that airlines other than AC serve the Toronto market. No source, but I did see it online . . .
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
In all this venting, have you stated that you've purchased tickets on other airlines for upcoming travel?

I saw a report somewhere that airlines other than AC serve the Toronto market. No source, but I did see it online . . .
Silly me for thinking that 20 years of loyalty to Air Canada would have counted for something. (Perhaps I could have a retention bonus?)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriot Silver Elite
And if my math is in the ballpark ($2.2bn per quarter x 7 hour online booking outage) today's little snafu on their website would have cost them about $5million.

Oh look. The same amount as Rovinescu's bonus for doing NOTHING.

Do you honestly think him giving up a $5M bonus is going to resolve this issue? If you do, you're sadly mistaken.

I'm hoping that enough people switch to WS and other airlines to cause AC to contract and lay off as many of the pilots as possible. Maybe then the union and its membership will get the point that they are holding on to things that just don't make sense in today's economy and the people that pay the bills frankly don't give a damn about their "plight".
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stussi613
Do you honestly think him giving up a $5M bonus is going to resolve this issue? If you do, you're sadly mistaken.

I'm hoping that enough people switch to WS and other airlines to cause AC to contract and lay off as many of the pilots as possible. Maybe then the union and its membership will get the point that they are holding on to things that just don't make sense in today's economy and the people that pay the bills frankly don't give a damn about their "plight".
My point is leadership is required to get the airline out of this mess. It seems that big bucks are being paid to someone who doesn't seem to have been able to make any headway in resolving it. So instead of paying retention bonuses, I'd rather see that money go to someone who can actually break the deadlock.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Stussi613

it's the optics, the unions feel like they've given up enough and the top brass is making out like bandits

if he were truly trying to guide them back into profitability he could put it in escrow for a couple years and donate the interest to the union

there probably needs to be some change in AC's management since labour trust is broken, being a north american carrier AC hasn't dumped their pensions like their US competitors over to the govt and it's probably impossible for them to crawl out of their current hole, we could argue all we want about how the pension wasn't funded when projections were good and AC made their profits from not needing to fund it but it's all in the past, it's unfortunate that all north american unions are going to get screwed in the coming years but i guess in our overall race to the bottom that's the reality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.