Wiki Posts
Search

Rovinescu: FIX THIS.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Someone is a little mixed up.

The two VP's had a history with Air Canada, Canadian, ZIP and Eastern Provincial.
The Virgin America staff member was a little mixed up.....I only repeated what I was told by our small tour director.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by nowinyow
Maybe Jazz/Chorus will buy a bankrupt Air Canada. Fold it into their own. Fire the entire board and senior management of the current AC. Maybe even start up a true FF plan.

I hear there are a few 757's that may be available to get some routes going during the transition process.
Except,as mentioned above, that doesn't get rid of the malcontents, it merely transfers them to Jazz. And you can imagine how happy those grumblers would be to work at lower payscales!

Better for Jazz to wait for AC to fold, then purchase their personnel files to avoid hiring AC's duds.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Having stewed on this the whole day I honestly think it's time for Air Canada customers to step up and have a voice:

Rovinescu needs to go (without his $5 million retention bonus) and hand over to someone with the skills to resolve the current predicament. The status quo is unacceptable.

Perhaps we need a Rovinescu needs to go thread...?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
Perhaps we need a Rovinescu needs to go thread...?
How about starting a "Fire Rovinescu" chant at YYZ next time your flight is cancelled. Worked for Wilson, but didn't seem to help the Leafs
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This mess is going to arbitration and you have a group flouting the law.

Wonder how the arbitrator or shoud I say arbitraitor feels about this.

IMO,Calin is the lightning rod.I do not necessarily agree with OP that he is all the problem and should be terminated.

Imagine what the golden handshake would be? Adding gas to the fire??
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:27 pm

in my opinion, the employees of AC should collectively take over the airline; no more mgmt/union squabbles... just a thought
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE
While one does feel energized by chanting Fire Calin, I don't see how this mess can be fixed by anyone. If anything, the government meddling of AC worked far more into the favour of the labour unions and really stripped Calin of any leverage to play tough with them.

Had they locked them out, stripped them of their pay cheques at a time when most of the employees are under crushing holiday season debt, he probably could have gotten somewhere with the unions. Instead the unions get to continue to get their pay cheques, service time towards their pensions AND continue to hold the business and its clients hostage.

As for Calin and his $5 million - given how messed up AC is and the absurd playing field, you're going to have to pay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than $5 million to get any talented executive to come in and take his place.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Rovinescu is ultimately responsible but has shown no leadership ability to move the proverbial peanut forward.

I'd rather pay someone more to make progress than continue to pay millions for the status-quo.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Union leadership is also responsible.Skirting deftly around legislation,having their leadership say they should be at work,negotiate a contract that is unanimously accepted by bargaining committe(s) to have it voted down by members.... is angering me.

The wheel is broke
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acysb87
Union leadership is also responsible.Skirting deftly around legislation,having their leadership say they should be at work,negotiate a contract that is unanimously accepted by bargaining committe(s) to have it voted down by members.... is angering me.

The wheel is broke
Completely agree. (New) leadership, capable of union and government negotiation (or at least the implementation of a team that can do that) is required.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I just had an idea! @:-)

They could get that YYZ MLL Domestic warden, the heftier one with the gruff attitude and the torn work uniform and place in the room to 'mediate' between the pilots and management. I think it would be over soon enough.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645

Having said all that, there is obviously also such a "hiatus between top and front line" in the AC unions as well, witness the several rejected tentative settlements.
I think on that one, the issue is not so much that union leaders don't understand the feelings, but more that they now that realistically there is not much to extract from AC. While for AC management, the ten years cuts force on employees is ancient history, for employees this was yesterday. Union leaders are caught in the middle.

BTW this sort of situation is not typical to AC, but probably much more widespread.

Management totally focused upon how good they look in the very short term, shorter than ever. Usually, management tenure is short term; as in the military, better move on/get promoted before the s... hits the fan.

While employees stay, especially in this union system with seniority etc.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Want to show your anger? How about some of the following.

If your mutual fund, or any stocks in your portfolio include AC, sell em. Sell em all. Let your broker know why youre selling them. Send an email to AC management and Union management, let them know youre selling. Post that youve sold your faith and stocks on the AC facebook page. Do the same on your own page. Do the same on the FB pages that other investors might see. LIKE when others post the same. See a trend starting to develop? Alert the media. (They love FB)

Book your next flight(s) on another carrier. Post your itinerary on the AC FB page. Send an email to AC management and union management. Let them know theyve let you down and enough is enough. LIKE when others post their new itineraries. Start showing AC that as consumers were fed up, p***ed off and not going to take it anymore.

Book latitude tickets, and then cancel on flight day for a full refund.

Be creative. Get mad, but dont just vent your anger and frustration here on FT. Youre preaching to the choir. Social media continues to play a mega force when the right cause is afoot. Just think of last spring in the Middle East. Egypt, Libya etc etc.

Ive booked my flight for next week. Its not on AC. I dont care if their site is down today, tomorrow or whenever. Im not setting foot on an AC aircraft again until this finished and everyone is playing happily together in the sandbox. (not after tonight...this mess has caused me a delay so not home yet)

Im in YYZ now, annoyed about my cancelled flight, sitting here in the lounge when I should be home. Theres nothing like an overcrowded MLL on a Friday night.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Message on Air Canada's web site says it all:

"The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it... "

Step down Rovinescu!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
Enough already!

You've had your ostrich head in the corporate sand way too long, falling back on government intervention rather than fixing labor issues which have dragged for way, way too long.

I'm fed up with waking up in the morning to find my flight is cancelled because of labor disruption. Again. And again. And again.

Fix it. Or quit. And let someone who knows what they're doing fix it.

I don't care which.

Yes, I'm mad as hell this morning

I've been following this (sorry) saga since it began a few weeks ago. I do not profess to know anything about the intricacies of airlines (I just know I enjoy being aboard airplanes ) and was wondering if it would make sense for the government to allow another carrier (for the purposes of discussion say Lufthansa as they are a fellow *A carrier) to operate as a de facto second "national" airline? If there is/was such a thing as KLM Asia, why could there not be say a Lufthansa Canada or Lufthansa North America? Would this be a viable idea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.