Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

U.S. rivals try to keep Air Canada’s Washington plan from taking off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. rivals try to keep Air Canada’s Washington plan from taking off

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
??
There are upwards of 10 daily flights DC-YOW. Without looking, I would assume the same for YUL and YYZ

DC-YOW has > 400 seats/day alone.

Predominantly gov't and UA cnx via IAD
The number of seats (AC), has remained fairly consistent between DCA and YYZ since the station opened in 1995. 5/6 CRJ daily flights meant 250-300 seats, and currently 4 E75's translating to 292 seats with the addition of the extra summer flight will take that number to over 300.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: FT
funny, AC has no non-stop flights from YVR to NYC area...but yet they think there is enough demand from YVR to Washington...

why they can not just route this limited traffic via YYZ as they do for those wanting to go to NYC...

i am going to predict...."computer says no AC"
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mkjr
funny, AC has no non-stop flights from YVR to NYC area...but yet they think there is enough demand from YVR to Washington...
why they can not just route this limited traffic via YYZ as they do for those wanting to go to NYC...
AC has a daily EWR 319 nonstop.
CX has a daily JFK 77W with amazing F service.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
AC has a daily EWR 319 nonstop.
CX has a daily JFK 77W with amazing F service.
is the AC flight new? i never new...[maybe i should start another thread for my 3500 post]
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
is the AC flight new? i never new...[maybe i should start another thread for my 3500 post]
Congrats on the 3500 mark!

the YVR-EWR flight began in 2009 and was a switch in stations from JFK. IIRC, YYC was also moved to EWR at the same time.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SFO777
UA would have started IAD-YVR service years ago
UA used to operate this very route - I think they ended it around 2007, maybe 2008. I never flew it because a) the flight times were horrible, b) DCA is a much handier airport (on the Metro, close to the city) and c) if you sit on the left side of the aircraft you can sometimes get some pretty nice views out of DCA.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by neuron
Congrats on the 3500 mark!

the YVR-EWR flight began in 2009 and was a switch in stations from JFK. IIRC, YYC was also moved to EWR at the same time.
i see...been BAEC member since the early 90s so always flew on CX...never thought about AA on this route...always a pleasure to fly such a large bird transcon...not since the days of my youth flying YVR to YYZ in probably the mid 80s as i recall on some of the continuation flights from asia did i fly on those big boys..
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:22 am

How exiting, AC are looking to double their capacity to east of the rockies. from YVR (which is currently 1 A319/day to EWR).
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA

Also, is there any significant demand from DC to YVR? I doubt it. When I was living in DC I was always struck by how few daily flights there were to anywhere in Canada. From DCA I think there are just a couple per day to YYZ and YUL, as well as a few flights to YOW for government business. And, if I'm not mistaken, only AC flies DCA-YYZ or YUL. Tourist/leisure travel between DC and Canada is minimal.
AC used to operate 5-6 flights/day DCA-YYZ - I haven't been there in a while, but suspect they operate more than a couple of daily's.

US also used to serve DCA - YYZ (I'm pretty sure) and don't know when it starts but believe they are starting this route again a couple of times daily using slots from the US/DL slot swap.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
AC used to operate 5-6 flights/day DCA-YYZ - I haven't been there in a while, but suspect they operate more than a couple of daily's.
4 E75s...

But a lot better than the crappy YUL/YOW CRJ service...

Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I would fly that route if the price was right! I have flown a few times this year on UA YOW-IAD-LAX/LAS-YVR or on AC YOW-YUL/YYZ-LAX-YVR as I get more AP points and its cheaper than the Tango Plus fares YOW-YVR. So if AC price point is good for their new route I would give it a try.

Yes time is not an issue with me as I look for value and I do not want to pay more for less!
Old May 14, 2012, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
AC loses DCA slot bid

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/t...-flights.html/

Alaska Air Group, JetBlue Airways Corp., Southwest Airlines and Virgin America were granted rights to each start a single daily flight. Air Canada, Sun Country Airlines, and the Frontier Airlines unit of Republic Airways Holdings lost out in the contest for new Reagan flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.