Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tango/Tango+ to asia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by sktdh
I just thought I would add, AC just released a TANGO<---- Sale to asia... with the price being identical to UA flights that earn 100% of status miles. This is getting ridiculous
Visit their FB page....great responses to the 'sale' (including my own).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Joe Blow would buy it because he doesn't have to go to the US.
I'm pretty sure most Joe Blows know that a round trip to Asia should score you enough miles for a short haul domestic... I think I learned this when I was around 12 years old... makes it worth the trip to the US+ the couple extra dollars even if you aren't after status.

What other airlines besides AC and SQ does this for their lowest fairs nowadays? Like I said in my OP, I've never even seen a Tango fare to Asia before 2012
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:45 pm

Like I said in my OP, I've never even seen a Tango fare to Asia before 2012
Really? Asia Flight Pass bookings have booked into Tango since at least 2008.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10402375-post248.html

In addition, All flights using the pass are non-upgradable using SWU's since they are booked into Tango class.
IIRC international Tango fares were relatively rare ex-Canada until recently, although they did exist; IIRC they were more common on fares that were ex-USA, although I'm pretty.

IMHO nobody really cared that much since they still earned 100% EQM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: *void
I just thought I would add, AC just released a TANGO<---- Sale to asia... with the price being identical to UA flights that earn 100% of status miles. This is getting ridiculous
Originally Posted by Dorian
Visit their FB page....great responses to the 'sale' (including my own).
Sorry, I don't do Facebook, but do the comments look similar to my price-watch findings below?

Target: YYZ - HKG
Return fare, travelling mid-April to mid-June

Tue, Mar 20th, 11:30pm - go online at AC.com to check the fares...
$404 + $404 + $346scam = $1154
Not a bad fare...maybe I should book now? No, wait to confirm return date first.

Fast forward 5hrs:
Wed, Mar 21st, 4:35am 15% promo code arrives in my email inbox.

1.5 hrs later, I read my email at 6:00am, and it applies to my travel plans!
Excellent! We'll just go online and nail down those tickets!!
$436 + $436 + $346scam = $1218

i.e. with the 15% promo code, the final fare INCREASED by $64?!?!

AC, give me a fwiggin' break!

Reminds me of the time I bought a blouse for my niece...wrong size, so I went back a couple of days later, to return it. During this return visit, the store was in the middle of a HUGE Boxing Day sale! Super Sale price was 1.5 x my original non-sale purchase price. Pfffttt!!!

Last edited by JJonahJ; Mar 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm Reason: Corrected the times of the day.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ

You know, Sears Canada has been playing this pricing game for years. Every weekend, they have 30-50% off sale. But they inflated their regular price by 50% to begin with.

People are smarter than they think, and look at where Sears is today, on the verge of going down!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I'm pretty sure most Joe Blows know that a round trip to Asia should score you enough miles for a short haul domestic... I think I learned this when I was around 12 years old... makes it worth the trip to the US+ the couple extra dollars even if you aren't after status.

What other airlines besides AC and SQ does this for their lowest fairs nowadays? Like I said in my OP, I've never even seen a Tango fare to Asia before 2012
CA, CZ
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC Elite, CX Gold, SPG gold

Hope you don't mind, but just posted your findings on AC's FB page. I wonder if a representative will respond?

Michael
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by michaelmk
Hope you don't mind, but just posted your findings on AC's FB page. I wonder if a representative will respond?

Michael
my guess
"I'm sorry to hear that. But fares vary based on many factors and prices are adjusted accordingly. We hope you will fly Air Canada"
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:43 pm

Michael
No problem, by all means...go crazy!

But, it means I now have to figure out to work this HookFace thing.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:13 pm

Hm..... it seems that AC's answer to the fare comparison / fare increase even with discount code applied was to... dum dum dum, delete my comment on FB.!

Michael
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Hm..... it seems that AC's answer to the fare comparison / fare increase even with discount code applied was to... dum dum dum, delete my comment on FB.!

Michael
For the first time EVER, I mean as in since the age of dinosaurs, I booked 2 employees on Porter today. $2600 out of AC's pockets for two shorthauls to Chicago
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:34 pm

Michael
Michael, nice try, but the you'll never win that battle against AC, on their playing field.

All we (me, you, other FT'ers) can do is post in a forum where they can't intercept our messages, to let others know that these promo codes (often) do NOT mean savings....at the same time, I doubt that this is a big surprise to most people.

Anyway, I keep pretty detailed notes about my visits to AC.com, and document the prices, scam $$, events, time of the search, etc. So, as another reference point, I can confirm that I also noticed the fares increased, shortly after the Jan 20, 2012 15% discount code for Asia was announced.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G
Liked all your comments on FB...

Michael, nice try, but the you'll never win that battle against AC, on their playing field.

All we (me, you, other FT'ers) can do is post in a forum where they can't intercept our messages, to let others know that these promo codes (often) do NOT mean savings....at the same time, I doubt that this is a big surprise to most people.

Anyway, I keep pretty detailed notes about my visits to AC.com, and document the prices, scam $$, events, time of the search, etc. So, as another reference point, I can confirm that I also noticed the fares increased, shortly after the Jan 20, 2012 15% discount code for Asia was announced.
I've posted a comment on facebook pointing out how awful value these Tango fares are...wonder if it will stick or get deleted...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Michael
Response from AC:
No comments have been removed by our team. As the promo code has been out since late last night a large number of the lower fares have already been sold out. Fares were not changed prior to the sale starting.
Maybe you should repost ...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Response from AC:

Maybe you should repost ...
Just did. But then again, what do we expect will change?

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.