Wiki Posts
Search

Tango/Tango+ to asia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Tango/Tango+ to asia

Has anyone been noticing that most flights to Asia now has Tango option for the price that Tango+ used to be? What is the point of this? Is this just temporary or has AC been gradually switching many TATL and TPAC flights over to useless tango flights?

I've been to both ICN and NRT nov 2011 and feb 2012 and I dont even recall seeing ANY tango fairs when booking at that time...sigh.

Now I need to figure out if flying exec lowest is the only way to go in long haul since the price always seems consistent...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Yes, more than a few have noticed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ng-status.html
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
The easiest way to avoid all of this BS is to fly on UA metal.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by sktdh
Now I need to figure out if flying exec lowest is the only way to go in long haul since the price always seems consistent...
ssshhh... now they'll start increasing the Z fares too
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The easiest way to avoid all of this BS is to fly on UA metal.
You might as well credit to UA as well if you do that.

The Tango fares on long-hauls was the final straw for me to quit AP. (Haven't credited or flown a single flight on AC in 2012) I care more about earning than redeeming and if I'm only going to earn 50% in Y and not be able to upgrade, why wouldn't I fly either cheaper carriers in C (e.g. CA) or at least better ones in Y (e.g. CX, KE)? I'm planning to buy a few domestic flights for the next couple of months and I will decide based on schedule/price/convenience rather than blind loyalty to AC.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For domestic, it's AC for me as the competition doesn't offer a J product. But, once it's transborder/international, I tell the booking agency to give me anything but AC.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Cathay's Premium Economy

Cathay's Premium Economy is less than Tango + fares. Why bother playing Aerolotto for an upgrade that may only be given at 60 minutes before the flight. It cost's less and looks more comfortable.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Citismart
Why bother playing Aerolotto for an upgrade that may only be given at 60 minutes before the flight.
Try 30 minutes on HKG-YVR flights - after boarding starts !
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G
Tango+ seems to be double last years cost

Originally Posted by Braindrain
For domestic, it's AC for me as the competition doesn't offer a J product. But, once it's transborder/international, I tell the booking agency to give me anything but AC.
Given 30% to 50% price jump of Tango+ fares
Then factor in Upward movement of Elite qualifying threshold by 40% to 50k

The overall cost to achieve same value as last year on flights to/from Asia feels like it's doubled...

Or the value I'm getting per dollar seems to be half.... Next trip from YYZ to PVG will be on united for me....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:58 am

a few observations: the topic of this thread has been discussed numerous times elsewhere. still, instead of the usual annoyed responses about repeated threads, there is alas a further outpouring of displeasure with the tango fares to asia (which I echo).

"AC Top Tier" clearly follows this forum closely judging by their rather calculated responses to safe topics that are sure to garner positive replies. I hope they are monitoring comments on this thread, as it seems many (including myself) will be echoing these sentiments with our wallets in 2012.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACB777
a few observations: the topic of this thread has been discussed numerous times elsewhere. still, instead of the usual annoyed responses about repeated threads, there is alas a further outpouring of displeasure with the tango fares to asia (which I echo).

"AC Top Tier" clearly follows this forum closely judging by their rather calculated responses to safe topics that are sure to garner positive replies. I hope they are monitoring comments on this thread, as it seems many (including myself) will be echoing these sentiments with our wallets in 2012.
Yes...look, we can research t+ booking codes that MIGHT generate status miles, but not do anything about them and of course, as further enhancement to the AP offerings, no guarantee!

And, WOW. We can now wait until exactly t-7 days to see our R space disappear. Wonders of technology and a first rate it team managed to put that together just in time for the March 1 program year. Yipppeeee

And then, when all is done, we get to pay MORE for an award flight than we can book a revenue flight on Expedia! I feel so rewarded. Yup. Goooooo AC
Pathetic.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
Yes...look, we can research t+ booking codes that MIGHT generate status miles, but not do anything about them and of course, as further enhancement to the AP offerings, no guarantee!

And, WOW. We can now wait until exactly t-7 days to see our R space disappear. Wonders of technology and a first rate it team managed to put that together just in time for the March 1 program year. Yipppeeee

And then, when all is done, we get to pay MORE for an award flight than we can book a revenue flight on Expedia! I feel so rewarded. Yup. Goooooo AC
Pathetic.

DO the research! i.e. cnx fares to BKK from NRT do not give Q mileage on TPlus fares.Status miles on Thai in a booking code give miles in their domestic system but do not give miles for the same booking code on international flights.IMO, rather strange. How would you propose AC manage that quirk?

I have had little to no issues getting u/gs at 7 day window. I do not travel much ultra long haul but the long and mid range flights have cleared quickly.

Booked a revenue flight Wednesday to PDX in a few weeks (E90) U/G cleared at booking and I was able to book a ticket for Mrs.acysb87 in J On an AE ticket as well. Cost was 153.00, approximately.

Personally,I am all for higher costs for TPAC and TATL for Status Q miles accumulation. I have always advocated a revenue approach. As someone who pays handsomely for a YSB-YYZ flight that generates 1000 Q miles R/T, I am always annoyed that historically a r/t TPAC flight for 1200.00 generates 10K plus Q miles.
As for E-credits and upgrades,we got what we asked for. Paper certs were a PITA, but the electronic version can be manipulated by issuer to reflect their goals(profit) more than ours.(u/g)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
This is becoming a big issue for me. I live in New Hampshire US and fly frequenty to Shanghai. My US status is on US Airways so on my China trips I have to fly someone out of network. Being a AP member does not really work for me.

My company and clients require that I fly in coach, but no Y or B fares; so no *A upgrades with miles. I have two real choices; UA BOS-EWR-PVG or AC BOS-YYZ-PVG. I always chosen AC as the service is much better and I can book the exit row for a reasonable cost.

But now the with the changes I can't justify Tango Plus. The last flight I book for 3-26 the Tango Plus fare was more than double the Tango fare! If it were only a matter of 10% - 20% I would think about it but an extra $1,000+ is just way too much. I like the AC flight much better but the 50% miles is really starting to kill me. I think I may be pushed to UA, too bad. I do this flight about 8 to 10 times a year.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by loaloys
...... Then factor in Upward movement of Elite qualifying threshold by 40% to 50k .....
This pain is also felt by those lower volume flyers who buy premium fares.

Latitude still gets the same # of Status Miles as Tango Plus and discount Executive First still gets a mere 25% COS. It is completely disproportionate to the cost of these premium fares.

If AC is adamant in refusing to give better recognition of those buying premium fares, many will likely go to UA which gives 50% COS on full economy and all business class fares putting Star Gold status within easy reach with 2 business class roundtrips from North America to Asia.

The only thing missing with a UA *G and AC *G is access to the UC when flying from the US. UC North American lounges are nothing great to write home about anyway.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE, PC-Platinum Royal Ambassador, DL-Silver, HH-Gold, Marriott-Gold
I have a PVG trip coming up and seriously considering UA as there Economy+ for international is getting better with new configurations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.