Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SE or 2 Star Golds?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
SE or 2 Star Golds?

Maybe someone here can help with a question regarding status (something many here know lots about!).

I have been Elite for over 10 years and enjoyed the perks involved, however have never made SE. This year that may change (still to be decided) however I will definately again make Elite and Elite plus or what ever they will call it. I may also go for MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge and may move one transpacific flight (has to be UA) to gain UA Premier Gold which would be valid to Jan 2014 which is very good), if I do this then I definately wont make Aeroplan Super Elite. I really tend to fly AC way more than UA however I have never gone out of my way to go UA. Are they good to their golds?

Anyone with better knowledge of SE and UA offer any insight, would you go for SE alone (which I am still unsure if I can make just now) or get AC Elite (the 75000 one!) and also have a UA Gold card and start using UA more.

My flying is mainly SYD-North America or Europe.

Cheers,

SYD/YYZ
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I'd vote for AC*SE hands down.

I've been in the same predicament the past couple of years. Originally from YVR/YEG, I've been based out of SFO since 2008. Was able to get a status match to Premier Executive in 2009 and 2010 through my employer by way of being SE but that disappeared after the introduction of UDU.

Basically, the concierges and increased priority and window for upgrades make this decision an easy one for me. Yes, it's a bit painful flying UA domestic (no free E+; no UDU) when I have to but it's a small price to pay for concierges + easier upgrades on AC.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
The UA premier status match challenge states "Customers who hold Star Alliance Silver or Gold status are excluded from this offer" so I think you'd currently need status from an airline other than AC to get a match.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the replys, as most of my flying is with AC then SE would be nice sinalet-I will see if I can make it. Does anyone have both Elite and UA equivalent, any great advantages with UA vs AC Elite?

kraftdinner_ I am Virgin Australia Gold so I hope that should qualify me for the status match. I would not do the match until later in the year which would give me star gold until January 2014 which is a nice thing to have.

Any one else with a similar experience would love to hear back

Cheers

SYD/YYZ
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by SYD/YYZ
Thanks for the replys, as most of my flying is with AC then SE would be nice sinalet-I will see if I can make it. Does anyone have both Elite and UA equivalent, any great advantages with UA vs AC Elite?

kraftdinner_ I am Virgin Australia Gold so I hope that should qualify me for the status match. I would not do the match until later in the year which would give me star gold until January 2014 which is a nice thing to have.

Any one else with a similar experience would love to hear back

Cheers

SYD/YYZ
I have both SE and 1K and with the changes in each program coming, not sure I would want to drop down to mid-tier in either program. Since you are in Australia, not sure if UA Gold (50K elite tier) would benefit you much since there are still two tiers above you (three counting Global Services). Upgrades are next to impossible on the Australia-US routes on UA, and you pay a hefty premium on the lowest economy fares just to play the upgrade lottery (if you can purchase UA SWUs from a 1K). Fare difference is often $600 and then you'd pay another $500 for a pair of SWUs. As an AC SE, you'd have a better chance at upgrading on the SYD-YVR route for a lower net fare. Only real benefit of UA Gold (and tiers beyond) is free access to E+ seating.

Domestic comp upgrades on UA are getting more difficult, even for top tier 1Ks and then a Gold would have to compete with a Plat and 1K to get one. At least with AC SE you'd have first crack using eCredits. Since you're only competing with others using eCredits (and not all elites) and you'd be an SE, your upgrade chances are much, much better.

Can't be 100% on this recommendation since we don't know what the new UA program will be like until next month, but thus far this year there are many complaints about 1Ks not getting upgrades on domestic routes as readily as even last year. Of course, next year AC will be in a similar situation with its new elite tiers. But under the circumstances, I'd suggest going for SE this year (for next year) and see how the AC program serves you under the new tier program. If you are unhappy, then go for a status match with UA after reading how that new program has been working for various elites.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Shareholder for the great insight-I had no idea UA program was in the midst of a change (though fairly obvious with the merger).I guess 2013 will tell us AC elites and UA golds just how much the program has changed, or is it "enhanced"..??

Thanks again for the input.

SYD/YYZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.