Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What To Do with 690,000 Aeroplan Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What To Do with 690,000 Aeroplan Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: 100K
I like to do last minute J/F flights... like going Paris for the weekend.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:54 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
235k will get you some pretty neat flight simulator time in YYZ.

And there's no fuel surcharge on that (yet)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:40 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I transferred 690,000 AMEX Membership Rewards Points to Aeroplan. What are some of the best uses for these miles? Any routes a particularly good use of miles? I am Detroit-based.
My personal opinion is that you made a mistake doing this --- that is if Aeroplan status means anything to you and I do not know what your status is.

First, if you are not SE or E, you will have difficulty redeeming your AE miles. You will not qualify for Priority bookings on rewards.

Secondly, with AMEX MR you can purchase tickets and receive Aeroplan or other mileage--that is a huge advantage you have just lost. You get zip all for an aeroplan booking, whereas with an AMEX booking you would have received mileage. You have just lost that benefit on these tickets.

Sorry for the bad news. I see no benefit at all to this decision.

I would not have done this if I were you but your circumstances may be very different from mine.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:32 pm
Original Member

Premium Awards
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:34 pm

please send them to GHT fund...... based somewhere in in a weird country. will hide your 690K miles for you
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You really should have transferred your MRs to CO in September so you'd avoid most of the fuel surcharges -- which will ding you for thousands of dollars! -- you'll get hit with in AE redemptions. Not to mention having missed the award sale that could have saved you 20%-30%....
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
I believe you can get a time machine for 500,000.

That would make much of the advice you receive here actually good for something.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I actually lol'd: "Your search for "toaster"..."
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:41 pm

IMHO any merchandise on AP is grossly overpriced--avoid it--yes, even the toasters. Airline tickets in Premium classes are the best value--in spite of the surcharges--and of course F awards are the best. With flexibility and careful planning you can get the tickets but do NOT pay the inflated prices--only the Classic ones. Hotel redemptions are still better than merchandise.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I transferred 690,000 AMEX Membership Rewards Points to Aeroplan. What are some of the best uses for these miles? Any routes a particularly good use of miles? I am Detroit-based.
You are single, or are you travelling with SO or friends? The rtws in J or F seems to be the best bet if travelling alone..

Myself, I've redeemed just over 500K miles last year.. so tickets for my entire family for Spring Break to HI (we do this on an annual basis), last summer tickets to CUN and stopover in LAX.. and a booking for next summer in J to the London Olympics with stopover in NY and Toronto..
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:38 am

There must have been a reason to redeem it now since you have no plans for them specifically. Why not redeem just enough to use them right away. A month ago there was a 20 % bonus for redemption, why not then ? Or should have waited until it comes again. Too late now.

You had no need for them before? I know you sold your company and it was a company card which was not part of the deal. @:-)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: StarAlliance (Aeroplan)
Why not try to use you AP to get as many First Class legs as you can.

We're about to do:

YVR-FRA LH First
FRA-ICN OZ First
ICN-NRT UA First
NRT-BKK TG First
BKK-SGN LH First
SGN-BKK TG Business (there is a First with LH but I couldn't get it)
BKK-HKG TG First
HKG-FRA LH First
FRA-YVR LH First

Got in with the old prices:
120K Per person/ ~$200 fees.

Now it's 175K / person/ ~$900 fees (for 8 legs of First, I think it's still a great value.)

or perhaps use the latest AP Glitch / Promo?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ggy-promo.html
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Thanks guys. I had a gun to my head when I transferred them as I thought I was going to have to close my AMEX account (their stupid financial review process) so I immediately transferred to Aeroplan as it was the quickest. Lesson learned: transfer points from credit cards regularly, or else they're not yet yours.

I have noticed that the fees with Star Alliance seem to be a ticket in and of themselves. Not being a frequent *Alliance traveler, insight was helpful.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Do you like toast?
LMFAO

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
My personal opinion is that you made a mistake doing this --- that is if Aeroplan status means anything to you and I do not know what your status is.

First, if you are not SE or E, you will have difficulty redeeming your AE miles. You will not qualify for Priority bookings on rewards.

Secondly, with AMEX MR you can purchase tickets and receive Aeroplan or other mileage--that is a huge advantage you have just lost. You get zip all for an aeroplan booking, whereas with an AMEX booking you would have received mileage. You have just lost that benefit on these tickets.

Sorry for the bad news. I see no benefit at all to this decision.

I would not have done this if I were you but your circumstances may be very different from mine.
I don't think it that bad, I agree not the ideal solution, but it looks like the OP didn't have much choice or time.

I like the flexibility of MR to transfer to other airline of hotel plans to then redeem for more value. When using MR to pay with points, the redemption value is $0.0075 to $0.01 (US program cited), not that great. Sure, you could "buy" tickets and collect AP miles, so with 690k points you can "buy" about $6,900 worth of tickets, e.g. a couple of Z fares to Europe over the summer. Meh.

Notwithstanding all the devaluation, YQ, etc. 690,000 AE miles can get you a bit further than a couple of J seats to CDG. And yes, there are the dreaded surcharges to factor in...

My humble $0.02.

Cheers!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
There must have been a reason to redeem it now since you have no plans for them specifically. Why not redeem just enough to use them right away. A month ago there was a 20 % bonus for redemption, why not then ? Or should have waited until it comes again. Too late now.

You had no need for them before? I know you sold your company and it was a company card which was not part of the deal. @:-)
The 20% bonus was in 5,000, 10,000, 25,000, 50,000 or so increments.. There was a 25% bonus if you transferred 100,000 or more miles.. but that would have been 25,000 bonus miles on a transfer of 690,000 miles. The promo doesn't allow OP to transfer 7 times to get the bonus. So it would have worked out to an average of 3.6% bonus roughly at 690,000 miles transferred..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.