Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What To Do with 690,000 Aeroplan Miles

Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)

I transferred 690,000 AMEX Membership Rewards Points to Aeroplan. What are some of the best uses for these miles? Any routes a particularly good use of miles? I am Detroit-based.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:12 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Wow!

Idea 1: buy me a ticket! PM for details. (kidding! sort of.)

Idea 2: where do you want to go? redeeming for a first class trip to Europe, then Asia, then home is doable 3-4 times with that amount of points!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:12 am

mini-RTWs in F? You've got just about enough for 4. Or 7 trips to Europe in J
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Wouldn't transferring to Skymiles work better? No YQ, and if you know how, low awards.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Skymiles are worthless (in my opinion). I never even let miles sit in my Skymiles account because they're always devalued. Even with 50% bonuses to Skymiles from AMEX, it doesn't get you nearly anything compared to miles with Air Canada. Sure there are always ways to find a better redemption on either of them, but as I have been flying Delta for awhile, the devaluations in the last 3 years or so have made almost any use of miles unattractive to me.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
I have just about the same amount of miles and Mrs GG about half more AP points.
We have been using them before their expiry date at the rate of one mini RTW a year for 2 people in F or J.
However, we are getting increasingly discouraged and disapointed by the high cost of taxes and now fuel surcharges on most *A carriers. Therefore there isnt the same amount of 'bargains' to be had with points. Do a seacrh for the thread that records fees and surcharges on award tickets to see the sudden and dramatic increase (between 2 and 3 times the previous cost) since late July.

We are looking at better options to accumulate our points. I think *A carriers has now seriously eroded the AP loyalty base.

Good luck and happy travels.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Skymiles are worthless (in my opinion). I never even let miles sit in my Skymiles account because they're always devalued. Even with 50% bonuses to Skymiles from AMEX, it doesn't get you nearly anything compared to miles with Air Canada. Sure there are always ways to find a better redemption on either of them, but as I have been flying Delta for awhile, the devaluations in the last 3 years or so have made almost any use of miles unattractive to me.
At least SM allows you to redeem to Asia on KE (sometimes better than OZ!) w/o YQ.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Not true. Last year I used my skymiles to during a promotion to fly on KLM for 25K during the summer. You just have to do some research.

You can always spread your aeroplan points out to the people above and to me equally

Last edited by aeroman380; Jan 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reason: addition of content
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I transferred 690,000 AMEX Membership Rewards Points to Aeroplan. What are some of the best uses for these miles? Any routes a particularly good use of miles? I am Detroit-based.
Do you like toast?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
Originally Posted by Global guy
We have been using them before their expiry date at the rate of one mini RTW a year for 2 people in F or J.
However, we are getting increasingly discouraged and disapointed by the high cost of taxes and now fuel surcharges on most *A carriers. Therefore there isnt the same amount of 'bargains' to be had with points.
Even with the taxes and fuel surcharges (which I agree are annoying), I still think doing a mini-RTW in F or J on points is a bargain. Have you tried pricing out those itineraries in F or J? I have and they are not cheap. And you still pay taxes and fuel surcharges. Still a great deal IMHO.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy
wow! if i had those miles, i would visit the 7 modern wonders of the world in style and perhaps write about the trip or publish photos for luxury travel magazines!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAman
Even with the taxes and fuel surcharges (which I agree are annoying), I still think doing a mini-RTW in F or J on points is a bargain. Have you tried pricing out those itineraries in F or J? I have and they are not cheap. And you still pay taxes and fuel surcharges. Still a great deal IMHO.
If you are clever you can avoid them, kind of like I did.
YVR-LAX-SIN(stop) BKK (POT) ZRH (stop) JFK SFO YVR.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Do you like toast?
LMFAO
New keyboard please
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j_the_p
Do you like toast?
I like pancakes with maple syrup better.
Congee also isn't bad.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
4 First Class tix

175,000x4 =700,000mls be clever avoid YQ enjoy stops in europe ,enjoy long lay overs in F lounges .collect F PJs post a TR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.