Search

CIBC aeroplan question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
CIBC aeroplan question

I need 10,000 points before all airlines start charging surcharges. I was looking at CIBC and this caught my eye:
"Access to every available seat on Air Canada and Jazz, including Executive Class®1 and Executive First®6"

6 Applies to any available seat in Economy Class/Executive First additional miles may be required. See Aeroplan.com for details.
What does it mean? Fine print says to check aeroplan. I did but it doesn't say anything. Does it mean I can use points for any available seat?

Thanks. Want to book my first mini-RTW, stopping at at least two additional cities on my way to Tokyo.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:38 pm
ucc

That's what they call classic plus flights. If you want to be insulted, go search a flight at aeroplan.com and scroll down.

Originally Posted by uwbrother
I need 10,000 points before all airlines start charging surcharges. I was looking at CIBC and this caught my eye:
"Access to every available seat on Air Canada and Jazz, including Executive Class®1 and Executive First®6"

6 Applies to any available seat in Economy Class/Executive First additional miles may be required. See Aeroplan.com for details.
What does it mean? Fine print says to check aeroplan. I did but it doesn't say anything. Does it mean I can use points for any available seat?

Thanks. Want to book my first mini-RTW, stopping at at least two additional cities on my way to Tokyo.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I need 10,000 points before all airlines start charging surcharges.
Too late - CIBC welcome bonus posts after the first month. Your only possible hope would be to get approved for the Amex Gold Rewards, receive the card, spend $500 and have the purchases post within the next 10 days.

The AMEX - Aeroplan transfer is immediate, but with all the logistics involved in getting the card, I'm afraid that you'll miss the Nov 30th deadline.

You can still fly on the non-surcharging airlines after Nov 30th.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveTO
You can still fly on the non-surcharging airlines after Nov 30th.
That's the plan. I am hoping to book something this year before all airlines get the idea. It seems like it's only a matter of time before they all start surcharges
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: A Few
I need 10,000 points before all airlines start charging surcharges.

I Want to book my first mini-RTW, stopping at at least two additional cities on my way to Tokyo.
I would make the booking now since it's a complex RTW itinerary and pay AE the $0.03/mile for the missing miles. That will likely be cheaper than waiting and paying the fuel surcharge on most *A partners when you have another 10K miles.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucc
That's what they call classic plus flights. If you want to be insulted, go search a flight at aeroplan.com and scroll down.
Uh, I built the itenerary I wanted and Classic+ wanted 450,000 points for Economy (business is 175,000 in Classic). So CIBC isn't realy doing anything. Scam!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:30 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
you can transfer points from another account at 1.5cents right now or just do an account top up when you go to redeem (online or via call centre)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum

I've got this card, not entirely sure what they meant either. But I don't have access to anything that I didn't before having the card

I think as mentioned above, that's a benefit of Aeroplan and has nothing to do with being a cardholder or not.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MtlFire
I think as mentioned above, that's a benefit of Aeroplan and has nothing to do with being a cardholder or not.
Some benefit, eh? 450,000 PLUS a whole heap of insane surcharges.

BA, here I come.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Souvlaki
BA, here I come.
Really?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I would make the booking now since it's a complex RTW itinerary and pay AE the $0.03/mile for the missing miles. That will likely be cheaper than waiting and paying the fuel surcharge on most *A partners when you have another 10K miles.
That's actually not a bad idea. I tried to book it online and topup will cost me less than fuel surcharge. Boy, I am glad I posted here . Time to waste a few more hours to build an itenerary.

As I understand, Swiss and Singapore and UA do not charge fuel surcharge, right?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:22 pm

BA, here I come.
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Yes, definitely. The BA changes absolutely blow for NA-based passengers. They are actually quite brilliant if you are based (or partly based) in the UK. And since BD is a generally crappy airline, and I'm sick of transferring T3 to T1 at LHR, and since BA actually has a first class product, and since you can do a couple of cheap tier points runs in domestic F on AA to get BA Gold, and the BA lounge in T5 makes the London Lounge look sick, and........

You can fly BA ex-EU in Z for a fraction of the price of Z on AC. 2 return in Z on BA gets me Silver, which is equivalent to AC*E.

Would'a probably stayed with AC if LH still provided decent value for AE miles. But they all got stupid and went way too far. Too bad -- I was the kinda AC*E they should love -- 90,000 miles this year, mostly in Y and B, and not having to shell out for SE services.

I was within an inch of doing an MR to hit SE for 2012. Not a chance now.

Last edited by Souvlaki; Nov 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm Reason: capitalization
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Yes, definitely. The BA changes absolutely blow for NA-based passengers. They are actually quite brilliant if you are based (or partly based) in the UK. And since BD is a generally crappy airline, and I'm sick of transferring T3 to T1 at LHR, and since BA actually has a first class product, and since you can do a couple of cheap tier points runs in domestic F on AA to get BA Gold, and the BA lounge in T5 makes the London Lounge look sick, and........

You can fly BA ex-EU in Z for a fraction of the price of Z on AC. 2 return in Z on BA gets me Silver, which is equivalent to AC*E.

Would'a probably stayed with AC if LH still provided decent value for AE miles. But they all got stupid and went way too far. Too bad -- I was the kinda AC*E they should love -- 90,000 miles this year, mostly in Y and B, and not having to shell out for SE services.

I was within an inch of doing an MR to hit SE for 2012. Not a chance now.
Fair enough. If you're mainly plying between Europe and Canada, and want to buy Z fares (versus AC's Y & B fares) BA can be a better choice.

For poor souls like myself, who are based in Canada but want to travel to both Asia and Europe, we'd have to be stuck with AC.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
For poor souls like myself, who are based in Canada but want to travel to both Asia and Europe, we'd have to be stuck with AC.
If your biz travel is mostly in Canada, lamentably you are right. Literally no choice if you want reward travel and status perks.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Some benefit, eh? 450,000 PLUS a whole heap of insane surcharges.
That's AE for you. I've seen it often. Actually it's more often that there's no flight available at all. Then if it's available, it's 3 connections, with with insane amount of points needed. Hey, but at least they can say they have flights available that you can redeem your AE points for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.