Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

UA seems to have solved the problem -- so why can't AC use it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA seems to have solved the problem -- so why can't AC use it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up UA seems to have solved the problem -- so why can't AC use it?

Last week, I found a very interesting solution that I had never seen before but applaud.
I was in UA F and there were 4 empty seats in F and many in C.

Once ALL had boarded and the doors shut. UA FA made an announcement that F and C class were available for a fee as all UG passengers had been processed and there were still seats to be had. Payable by credit card. Please contact a FA.

How brilliant! F filled the 4 seats and I am sure some took C class seats and at least there was no LMU line jumping like at AC where LMU trump e-UG.

People can say there must be some issues involved or difficulties but I say if UA is doing it, there is no reason why AC with its credit card/duty-free readers can't do the same.

Last edited by travelblond; Nov 18, 2011 at 1:28 am Reason: additional wording
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:20 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Swiss does the same - they allow buy-ups on board if space is available, processed
through their duty free facilities.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Dont give AC any ideas. I can just see eupgrades not clearing until the flight reaches cruising altitude......
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by becreative
Dont give AC any ideas. I can just see eupgrades not clearing until the flight reaches cruising altitude......
One Wish is for AC to upgrade all E and SE if they were in middle seats without question.
That would be a nice gesture
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Would the buy ups receive F/J mileage, or just Y?
The other thing, is, it be deductible thru AMEX airline credit, as it doesn't have a ticket number, right?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:06 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
UA, despite their old aircraft, are years ahead of AC with respect to IT.

- Monitors that show where you sit on the upgrade list
- Mobile websites that acually load on a smartphone
- Kiosks that allow you rebook ITIN's.

- and transparancy with the whole process (upgrades)

Sadly, I fear this and the OP's great idea will be a way's off from AC
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What route were you flying? Was this domestic or international? What was the cost to upgrade? Imagine if you'd paid $3K to fly in C and someone who paid $500 to fly coach bought an upgrade for $500 more sat down in the once empty seat beside you? I'd feel ripped off by UA.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
What route were you flying? Was this domestic or international? What was the cost to upgrade? Imagine if you'd paid $3K to fly in C and someone who paid $500 to fly coach bought an upgrade for $500 more sat down in the once empty seat beside you? I'd feel ripped off by UA.
NRT-ORD. I was already in F class. I asked a lady who was in C and bought-up to F how much she paid and it was $300USD and change.
Quick, easy and used her credit card. I don't mind. As confirmed by in-flight announcement that ALL UG passengers had been processed and now they were starting selling LMU -- you know, OPPOSITE of what AC does.
AC will screw loyalty by selling LMU FIRST and then whatever is left can go to UG passengers.

I didn't feel ripped off at all. I am happy those after FF and their UG were dealt with first and then they had a chance to purchase.
The system works for fliers and the airline.
I guess Canada and AC is a third world country that just can't figure it all out so go for the big screw to SE, E, P members to ho themselves for a few more bucks. Pathetic.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Would the buy ups receive F/J mileage, or just Y?
Just original booking class miles only.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by travelblond
NRT-ORD. I was already in F class. I asked a lady who was in C and bought-up to F how much she paid and it was $300USD and change.
Quick, easy and used her credit card. I don't mind. As confirmed by in-flight announcement that ALL UG passengers had been processed and now they were starting selling LMU -- you know, OPPOSITE of what AC does.
AC will screw loyalty by selling LMU FIRST and then whatever is left can go to UG passengers.

I didn't feel ripped off at all. I am happy those after FF and their UG were dealt with first and then they had a chance to purchase.
The system works for fliers and the airline...
^^^^^
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

People can say there must be some issues involved or difficulties but I say if UA is doing it, there is no reason why AC with its credit card/duty-free readers can't do the same.
The problem is that AC is encumbered by a massive bureuacracy who's mantra is "we will spend any amount of money to insure that no customer receives an undeserved benefit." This middle-mass believes with an evangelical fervour that would put most cults to shame that if a customer thinks something is a good deal then that thing must immediately and completely be obliterated for evermore.

If the concept ever reaches senior management look for a continuous stream of sound bites explaining why it is impossible, unworkable, inadvisable, unseemly, immoral, and too costly in today's economic reality.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
$300 seems a bit cheap to go from C-->F considering the upgrade at ticketing price is around the $779 price o/w for Y-->C or C-->F for LAX-NRT and $600+ at gate for E+-->C.

Personally I have never seen this on board a UA flight.

As for AC being third-world, not sure what other 'first-world' airlines do this type of thing (BA, Lufthansa, Air France, AA, JAL, CX...).

Originally Posted by travelblond

The system works for fliers and the airline.
I guess Canada and AC is a third world country that just can't figure it all out so go for the big screw to SE, E, P members to ho themselves for a few more bucks. Pathetic.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by neuron

As for AC being third-world, not sure what other 'first-world' airlines do this type of thing (BA, Lufthansa, Air France, AA, JAL, CX...).
Never seen it on UA either but CX does sell upgrades on-board by request. It's very expensive though.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neuron
$300 seems a bit cheap to go from C-->F considering the upgrade at ticketing price is around the $779 price o/w for Y-->C or C-->F for LAX-NRT and $600+ at gate for E+-->C.

As I said there were 4 seats still open in F and C looked wide open.
I don't know how they figure out their rates but that is what the lady paid.

It's a system that clearly works and AC's system fails. I would pay $3-5-700 for an LMU but I would hope it would be AFTER ALL UG e-mile customers are taken care of first. AC keeps taking steps back.
UA has it right! Maybe they calculate per passenger on load factors. It was a light load in C (no idea about Y) -- hey, all were happy from what I can see. Hopefully AC will get it's head out of its butt and start acting like a real loyal company and not some half-aXX airline that is falling apart day by day. Learn from others' success if you keep failing, AC!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Given UA's crap new C seat (next to no privacy, stupid front and back facing arrangement, 7-across) $300 is certainly a bargain to get out of them. Maybe OP didn't feel cheated by the discounting but it's a slippery slope to what happened on domestic US carriers who can't sell F any more because they've been giving it away for so long. (Was OP on an award or did he pay for the F ticket out of his own pocket, or his company's?)

Perhaps OP should post this on the UA/CO site as it's not been reported there yet as a new policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.