Wiki Posts
Search

Will they show mercy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AE, HHG
Will they show mercy?

My sister is 7 months pregnant and will be returning from SYD back to YUL via YVR next week, on an aeroplan reward ticket with a toddler in tow and her very helpful husband. Once in YVR however, her husband's itinerary splits with theirs (one of the drawbacks of reward bookings!!) They have tried to get this changed multiple times with no luck. Any ideas on improving the slim chance of having hubby's ticket changed so they can all fly back for the final leg to YUL as one exhausted cranky family??
To note:
1. Toddler is on a purchased ticket
2.None of them has any status
3. I know, I know, some of you think the husband should pray that it CAN'T be done!!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I would try explaining this in SYD as they may show more mercy than YVR. They may put him on the same plane as momma.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I'm assuming that these are economy tickets - if they are business tickets you are entitled to free same-day change at the airport.

If they are economy tickets, you can pay $75 to change tickets if there is space available in economy on the desired flight.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveTO
I'm assuming that these are economy tickets - if they are business tickets you are entitled to free same-day change at the airport.

If they are economy tickets, you can pay $75 to change tickets if there is space available in economy on the desired flight.
Yes, they are economy.
I assume that's REWARD seat availability.. I'm pretty sure they tried that..
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mercy is an outdated concept.

Specially if in the same sentence as Aeroplan. They even get pleasure for giving no mercy.

Seriously though, this might well be the situation where a gate agent might show I would say some compassion, not sure if mercy is the appropriate word.

You never know. I would give it a try. But really, I would not count on anything.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by marley
Yes, they are economy.
I assume that's REWARD seat availability.. I'm pretty sure they tried that..
No, once you get to the airport on the day of departure, the rules change...it becomes any available economy seat.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

No, once you get to the airport on the day of departure, the rules change...it becomes any available economy seat.
That is great DaveTO !! Thought it had to be a reward seat..
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K, Mariott Ambassador Elite,

Really? I didn't now that.

So in theory you could book a night time flight in J if that's all they had in rewards availability, and show up at the airport to try and get an earlier flight and have access to the full J availability? How would that work, would you have to wait till the flight closed? or can you snag a J seat say 5 hours before the flight?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by marley
That is great DaveTO !! Thought it had to be a reward seat..
On the day of travel once it becomes obvious that the seat won't sell, AC changes tactics to try enhance their revenue by alternate methods!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Finnair Plus, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Trying to get a change at the airport seems like the best plan to me for this situation.

What time is the YVR-YUL flight? Depending of the time of day, there will be a much better chance of an extra seat being open. As mentioned before, you can make a same-day change at the airport.

I had the pleasant surprise once of showing up at the gate for an AE reward YYZ-YVR via YEG (Y) where the first leg had just been delayed for at least an hour. I turned my head, and one gate over was the final boarding call for a direct flight to YVR. There was one seat left on the plane. No problem switching at all.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TVTravels

So in theory you could book a night time flight in J if that's all they had in rewards availability, and show up at the airport to try and get an earlier flight and have access to the full J availability? How would that work, would you have to wait till the flight closed? or can you snag a J seat say 5 hours before the flight?
You can totally do that. I've done it several times myself. Just watch the OLCI for the standby early button. Then, show up at the airport and wait for the standby flight. The gate agent will let you know at or shortly after boarding starts.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:20 am

That only works if there are > 1 flight per day to your desired destination. Also, if they sell out J (either through Eupgrades, flight passes, or LMUs) you're stuck on your confirmed flight.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
Same day changes are the BEST kept secret at AC (dont know why more people dont know about it).

I've actually purchased crappy, crappy (but really cheap) tickets, only to get my desired flights for only $75 on the day of. Of course there's a risk that you wont get a seat at all, but sometimes AC asks for an arm and a leg for ideal flights, paying what you can and then adding $75 to get what you want is a good option. Heck I even changed airports once, but I had to convince the agent that I was going to rent a car and end up at my initial destination. She bought it .

AC actually is getting really good at ripping customers off, this is one of the few good things they've still kept around.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other

I have done that several times... just checked in for a J reward and talked to the agent that is checking in my bags and they got me on the earlier flight.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: Back of the bus
I had an agent in YWG ask me (not me asking) if I wanted to change from my YWG-YOW-YYZ flight straight to YWG-YYZ, no fee, nothing.

"why send you the long way, the planes are empty"

had booked the flight on rewards.

it does happen, just gotta be nice and friendly to the agent and they often make the changes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.