Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alc
I went from 300K Aeroplan + 4480 HBC Rewards + some existing ESSO points to 208,500 RBC Rewards. And I just submited to AA. With the 20% bonus, I am expecting to get 250200 AA points in total. Planning to book 3 x YYZ-HKG in Y on CX, so that will use up 210K (if I read the reward chart correctly)

Here is the detail calculation for those who want to know:

50,000 Aeroplan = 56,929 ESSO per transfer on Points.com
hence 300,000 Aeroplan = 341,574 ESSO
4480 HBC = 4000 ESSO
Total ESSO now is 346,054

@ 2500 ESSO to 1500 RBC, I transfered 347,500 ESSO for 208,500 RBC

I will transfer another 300K Aeroplan in the new year and leave them in RBC rewards points, then wait for a transfer promo again to get them in AA account again.

1 Aeroplan end up = 0.8197776 AA.

Hence, I am really using 85389.01282494179 Aeroplan for my CX flight to HKG. ~10K more, but I expect less surcharges. Aeroplan normally charge $350 to $400 for AC15/16 rt. Using my usual $0.01 per AP miles, unless AA charge me more than $250 - $300, I am still cheaper this way.

Forgot to mention that I only did this because I got a mail-in offer for 1st fee wavied Avion card. So I need to take full advantage of the next 12 months.
Thanks, great explanation.
Other than flying, all my CC spend is now RBC Avion and Amex MR. I have redeemed from both for peak periods and its been easy. Just booked Mar break next year with RBC on UA/AC to the caribbean. Since its rare to find 4-5 tix for the time frames I want to fly this is a better option. I have 500K AE points that I need to spend sooner rather than later before they get devalued again. Also when I booked with RBC Avion it asked for AC and UA membership numbers so I am hopeful that these tix count towards AQM/AQS.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Thanks, great explanation.
Other than flying, all my CC spend is now RBC Avion and Amex MR. I have redeemed from both for peak periods and its been easy. Just booked Mar break next year with RBC on UA/AC to the caribbean. Since its rare to find 4-5 tix for the time frames I want to fly this is a better option. I have 500K AE points that I need to spend sooner rather than later before they get devalued again. Also when I booked with RBC Avion it asked for AC and UA membership numbers so I am hopeful that these tix count towards AQM/AQS.
rbc avion tickets on ac metal i'm not sure if they accumulate aqm or not. i know the air miles ac metal awards do not.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by alc
I went from 300K Aeroplan + 4480 HBC Rewards + some existing ESSO points to 208,500 RBC Rewards. And I just submited to AA. With the 20% bonus, I am expecting to get 250200 AA points in total. Planning to book 3 x YYZ-HKG in Y on CX, so that will use up 210K (if I read the reward chart correctly)

Here is the detail calculation for those who want to know:

50,000 Aeroplan = 56,929 ESSO per transfer on Points.com
hence 300,000 Aeroplan = 341,574 ESSO
4480 HBC = 4000 ESSO
Total ESSO now is 346,054

@ 2500 ESSO to 1500 RBC, I transfered 347,500 ESSO for 208,500 RBC

I will transfer another 300K Aeroplan in the new year and leave them in RBC rewards points, then wait for a transfer promo again to get them in AA account again.

1 Aeroplan end up = 0.8197776 AA.

Hence, I am really using 85389.01282494179 Aeroplan for my CX flight to HKG. ~10K more, but I expect less surcharges. Aeroplan normally charge $350 to $400 for AC15/16 rt. Using my usual $0.01 per AP miles, unless AA charge me more than $250 - $300, I am still cheaper this way.

Forgot to mention that I only did this because I got a mail-in offer for 1st fee wavied Avion card. So I need to take full advantage of the next 12 months.
Nice, I wish I got a RBC Avion FYF offer, but either way I have too many Avios/AMEX MR to burn anyway

Avios on CX has no crazy YQ either I believe? Someone booked below one-way
Already got CX F JFK-HKG booked for 105k Avios + £88.
so AMEX MR -> Avios via 50% bonus transfer may be the best alternative for people without RBC Avion card

Points.com shut off Aeroplan to USDM at 1:0.84, so your transfer to AA is pretty good
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Nice, I wish I got a RBC Avion FYF offer, but either way I have too many Avios/AMEX MR to burn anyway

Avios on CX has no crazy YQ either I believe? Someone booked below one-way

so AMEX MR -> Avios via 50% bonus transfer may be the best alternative for people without RBC Avion card

Points.com shut off Aeroplan to USDM at 1:0.84, so your transfer to AA is pretty good
ba has yq on cx, although it's not too bad. it's around 110-180 USD per segment to HKG. not too outrageous.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:22 am

Has anyone had experience transferring Avion points to an AA account different than the name on the RBC account?

The reason I ask is because the RBC account has an English nickname attached to it, whereas the AA account uses the official name.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Never had problems. I've tried within family (spouse to spouse, same last name) and the transfer posted without issues.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tng11
Has anyone had experience transferring Avion points to an AA account different than the name on the RBC account?
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Never had problems. I've tried within family (spouse to spouse, same last name) and the transfer posted without issues.
I had a different experiece. An Avion -> AA transfer with completely different names failed, and the Avion had to be reversed by RBC Rewards CS.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:14 pm

Hmm... Thanks for the replies.

They're in the same surname, so maybe I'll give it a shot? I've done AMEX MR transfers in the same situation without problem, nor have I had problems with AMEX AeroplanPlus or Aerogold crediting to a different name.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:32 am
alc

Originally Posted by alc
My RBC to AA transaction (request on Nov 1) posted today (Nov 5). So 4 days (over a weekend)

So, the entire process from 300K Aeroplan (+HBC +ESSO) to 250K AA took 13 days for me:

3 days for Aeroplan to ESSO (www.points.com) Transfer #1
--> ESSO points post late in the evening and I noticed it and submit my 2nd points.com transfer right now

4 days for Aeroplan to ESSO (www.points.com) Transfer #2
--> ESSO points post late in the evening and I didn't noticed it, hence didn't submit the ESSO to RBC until the next day. Hence, counted as the 4th days here, otherwise, it only took 3 days to transfer.

2 days for ESSO to RBC
--> RBC points show up in the morning, hence request transfer to AA right away

4 days for RBC to AA

I break up the Aeroplan to ESSO transfer to 2 separate transactions because I read the issue with Benny. I didn't want someone think I made a mistake and submit the transfer twice and hence cancel one of my transfer.

Just explained to my wife a few days ago on what I had been up to lately , and my wife immediate state she want CX over AC for our annual YYZ-HKG X'mas trip from now on (FYI.. we only redeem in Y) But we haven't been on a CX flights over the TPAC for 10+ years, so if she does like it for our 2014 trip, I might just need to keep this Avion VISA card and pay the $120 annual fee just so I can transfer my Aeroplan to AA... or at least until AA devalue their points. And I also need to time my AMEX Plat accordingly so I can be CX Gold during the trip.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by alc
My RBC to AA transaction (request on Nov 1) posted today (Nov 5). So 4 days (over a weekend)

So, the entire process from 300K Aeroplan (+HBC +ESSO) to 250K AA took 13 days for me:

--> ESSO points post late in the evening and I noticed it and submit my 2nd points.com transfer right now

--> ESSO points post late in the evening and I didn't noticed it, hence didn't submit the ESSO to RBC until the next day. Hence, counted as the 4th days here, otherwise, it only took 3 days to transfer.

2 days for ESSO to RBC

4 days for RBC to AA

I break up the Aeroplan to ESSO transfer to 2 separate transactions because I read the issue with Benny. I didn't want someone think I made a mistake and submit the transfer twice and hence cancel one of my transfer.

Just explained to my wife a few days ago on what I had been up to lately , and my wife immediate state she want CX over AC for our annual YYZ-HKG X'mas trip from now on (FYI.. we only redeem in Y) But we haven't been on a CX flights over the TPAC for 10+ years, so if she does like it for our 2014 trip, I might just need to keep this Avion VISA card and pay the $120 annual fee just so I can transfer my Aeroplan to AA... or at least until AA devalue their points. And I also need to time my AMEX Plat accordingly so I can be CX Gold during the trip.
nothing new about the transfer time. this is pretty typical on the transfers i have been doing for years from AP.

same with the ones you used to be able to do via HBC to esso.... ;-) ah, the good old days of buying J/F on CX with HBC points....
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:30 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alc

2 days for ESSO to RBC

4 days for RBC to AA

Sorry if I missed something, but how are you transferring 300k Aeroplan to Esso? I thought the annual cap was 100k.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yerffej201
rbc avion tickets on ac metal i'm not sure if they accumulate aqm or not. i know the air miles ac metal awards do not.
Yes, they do-booking class posts as a revenue ticket.
(IIRC RBC uses a TA-CWT to book their rewards tickets.)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:43 am
alc

Originally Posted by Far Siren
Sorry if I missed something, but how are you transferring 300k Aeroplan to Esso? I thought the annual cap was 100k.
from 3 different Aeroplan account - wife, kid, & myself. This is the number 1 reason for me to do go thru this process. (to my wife, it might be CX to HKG) It allow me to "pool" mulitple Aeroplan accounts into one FF account.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yerffej201
ba has yq on cx, although it's not too bad. it's around 110-180 USD per segment to HKG. not too outrageous.
Exact amount could be verified by going to CAD website.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:32 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alc
from 3 different Aeroplan account - wife, kid, & myself. This is the number 1 reason for me to do go thru this process. (to my wife, it might be CX to HKG) It allow me to "pool" mulitple Aeroplan accounts into one FF account.
Smart ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.