Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I just heard ...... fuel surcharges are coming on other carriers!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just heard ...... fuel surcharges are coming on other carriers!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: AC 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just re-affirms the decisions I made to run down the AC accounts earlier and generally minimize use of AC accounts.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The fuel surcharge game played by airlines is but another excuse to gut their costs at the expense of their customers -- including at the expense of those with negotiated corporate contracts; including at the expense of frequent flyer program customers -- and to make it faster and easier for the airlines to adjust a bunch of fares much faster at lower cost.

Current commodity prices are just an excuse, as becomes clear given the stickiness of the approach and/or levels even when a factor commodity price drops 30-50% in real and sometimes even in nominal terms from a given benchmark record.

Originally Posted by CanuckOnFire
And yes, this really is bad news for all of us.
Indeed for those whose material engagement with the airline and approach to these developments are primarily from a consumer perspective rather than weighed down by material engagement -- past, present or prospective -- with the airline as an airline/program shareholder/supplier/employee or relative of such.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 10, 2011 at 1:43 am
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: AC
I booked an LH redemption a few weeks ago for next summer. I was looking at changing it, but I guess it will stay the way it is now.

Guess we have figured out why the AE site was offline there a week or two ago so often. Massive reworking of the tax calculation system.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:39 am

Okay, Amex MR is screwed................
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by josh_saunders
Guess we have figured out why the AE site was offline there a week or two ago so often. Massive reworking of the tax calculation system.
Tax or surcharge programming?

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Judging from the commodities, a surcharge for fuel is warranted imo..
Fuel prices were high a few years ago and no surcharges for these airline were added so don't think that rings true.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Tax or surcharge programming?

Fuel prices were high a few years ago and no surcharges for these airline were added so don't think that rings true.
Costs are going up and I believe many industries are charging extra.

Our business uses a lot of trucking.Rates are all over the place.
i.e. One firm charges 800 from Sudbury to Toronto.Another charges 700 with a 31% fuel surcharge. Others start at 1000.00.Cheapest rate may not have equipment available to do the work when you need them.

There are so many variations it is almost impossible to quote projects with multiple loads as no one will guarantee the freight,especially on drawn out projects(the extras we have are wait times to load or unload,tarping,.....On projects with 100 shipments, a swing of hundreds of dollars per shipment is significant if we have to eat the increase in a market with significantly reduced margins.

Interesting times
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
Costs are going up and I believe many industries are charging extra.

Our business uses a lot of trucking.Rates are all over the place.
i.e. One firm charges 800 from Sudbury to Toronto.Another charges 700 with a 31% fuel surcharge. Others start at 1000.00.Cheapest rate may not have equipment available to do the work when you need them.

There are so many variations it is almost impossible to quote projects with multiple loads as no one will guarantee the freight,especially on drawn out projects(the extras we have are wait times to load or unload,tarping,.....On projects with 100 shipments, a swing of hundreds of dollars per shipment is significant if we have to eat the increase in a market with significantly reduced margins.

Interesting times
And all the while the Oil giants are laughing, lets go occupy them? haha
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hearna
And all the while the Oil giants are laughing, lets go occupy them? haha
Fuel for thought
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:22 am

Highly suggest taking it to facebook & twitter.

https://www.facebook.com/aeroplan?sk=wall
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
For AC flights Aeroplan either keeps the fuel surcharges or sends them back to AC. With these new changes, will Aeroplan again keep the money or will it send the extra revenue back to those airlines such as LH?

Is this move sanctioned or require explicit approval by other Star partners? If AC pockets the fuel surcharge for tickets on planes that they don't even operate, that would be illegal and will be challenged.
You have to be kidding. Who do you think ends up with surcharge money? The airlines are drunk on surcharges, and every carrier has seen the billions being reaped on fees and fuel surcharges by the North American airlines. Do you seriously believe a Star airline would let Aeroplan charge a fuel surcharge in that airline's name and KEEP the money?

As for your last sentence, I'm not sure of whether you mean code-shares, or you are implying that AC owns Aeroplan. If the former, it would depend on whether AC is charged a surcharge for seats it sells under its own code on the other carrier's flights, but I'd be shocked to my knickers if it wasn't. And if you think Air Canada owns Aeroplan, you must have slept through the last eight years. That's how long Aeroplan has been a separate, publicly traded company in which AC has no ownership stake whatsoever.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:41 am

Looks like OZ and TG inter-asia seem to be an EXACT, regardless of segment, 60.40$/segment.

But it looks like domestic NH flights are still safe...for now.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I wonder if AC / AE ever had any intent at all of notifying us of the change?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Sebring
You have to be kidding. Who do you think ends up with surcharge money? The airlines are drunk on surcharges, and every carrier has seen the billions being reaped on fees and fuel surcharges by the North American airlines. Do you seriously believe a Star airline would let Aeroplan charge a fuel surcharge in that airline's name and KEEP the money?

As for your last sentence, I'm not sure of whether you mean code-shares, or you are implying that AC owns Aeroplan. If the former, it would depend on whether AC is charged a surcharge for seats it sells under its own code on the other carrier's flights, but I'd be shocked to my knickers if it wasn't. And if you think Air Canada owns Aeroplan, you must have slept through the last eight years. That's how long Aeroplan has been a separate, publicly traded company in which AC has no ownership stake whatsoever.
What's so outrageous? Isn't AC doing the same thing in the name of NAV CAN?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: 100K
maybe an new enhancement in the 2012 program will be the ability to pay for "fees and surcharges" with Aeroplan points. This was a clever trick LH pioneered.

Not only do you use your points for flights but then have to use more points for all the surcharges.... so 40k redemption will now effectively be 60k

Those MBAs in marketing have to earn their keep!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.