FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I just heard ...... fuel surcharges are coming on other carriers!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:28 am
Sebring

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
For AC flights Aeroplan either keeps the fuel surcharges or sends them back to AC. With these new changes, will Aeroplan again keep the money or will it send the extra revenue back to those airlines such as LH?

Is this move sanctioned or require explicit approval by other Star partners? If AC pockets the fuel surcharge for tickets on planes that they don't even operate, that would be illegal and will be challenged.
You have to be kidding. Who do you think ends up with surcharge money? The airlines are drunk on surcharges, and every carrier has seen the billions being reaped on fees and fuel surcharges by the North American airlines. Do you seriously believe a Star airline would let Aeroplan charge a fuel surcharge in that airline's name and KEEP the money?

As for your last sentence, I'm not sure of whether you mean code-shares, or you are implying that AC owns Aeroplan. If the former, it would depend on whether AC is charged a surcharge for seats it sells under its own code on the other carrier's flights, but I'd be shocked to my knickers if it wasn't. And if you think Air Canada owns Aeroplan, you must have slept through the last eight years. That's how long Aeroplan has been a separate, publicly traded company in which AC has no ownership stake whatsoever.