Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I just heard ...... fuel surcharges are coming on other carriers!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just heard ...... fuel surcharges are coming on other carriers!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ceaton
So... in the same 12 month period:
1) eupgrade credits that total less than the paper certs generally did.
2) increased # of points needed for C/F rewards
3) decrease in # of points earned via flying in Y to asia.
4) now more fuel surcharges that go to AC.

all while the price of jet fuel is actually less than it was in 2008.
This is far too relevant. I'm afraid you will not get any other answer than mine.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
At least there aren't changes TATL....
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yulred
Calling him a liar is OTT, but that aside, its not an AE issue, its an AC issue. The LH surcharge was explicitly put in at AC's request, not LHs. And I imagine the same applies to these new ones.

That said, I don't think AY himself knew this was coming, otherwise he wouldn't have put anything in writing. I suspect its a case of the decision coming from above him without his knowledge, so taking potshots at him is both unfair and unwarranted.

Blaming AE, however, is unfair, since this is an AC initiative.
I think this was clear from the beginning from AY.. The message got lost in the heat of discussion..

Originally Posted by arcticbull
I am glad you are happy, but "2+" cpm is not good. Also, I believe its 45,000 miles per ticket from North America to Hawaii round trip in economy, from the Aeroplan award chart. For argument's sake, lets assume you didn't book on Air Canada (this is better for you of course as YQ is deadly) and got hit with ~$120 in taxes/fees. Let's also assume your friends paid exactly $1000, although I assume you're exaggerating, so they probably didn't. (1000-120)/45k = 1.9cpm. That excludes of course the miles you would have earned (MIN 5000 if you started from YVR). So it's probably ~1.75 cpp. That's not an excellent redemption value. It's borderline acceptable. Call it what it is.

Now that they've decided to decimate the reward values, I'm canceling my AeroplanPlus Gold card and urging all my friends and family in Canada to start collecting SPG points. At least those things are still valuable -- I recently booked Sheraton LAX valued $175 for $30+1600SPG, or 11 cents per point. That is a good redemption value, by the way, Ancien.

I am also going to look into changing my loyalty over to UA or DL. As utterly worthless as DL points are, they embrace it by letting you earn them hand over fist (PRG 3 p/$ + 50% transfer bonus means 4.5 points per dollar on airfare, 3 on gas and groceries, 1.5 on all else), and AF/KL/KE have decent availability. BusinessElite SFO-JFK is on par with AC J. If only the timings were better...

I'm just happy I redeemed all of my AP points on LH/OS, leaving this coming Sunday. I booked the week before the damage started happening.
I completely agree that 2 cpm is far from the best value that can be obtained.. simply that other FT members can book First Internationally and get 6 even 7 cpm.. quite aware..

I have a young family consisting of spouse, a one year old and 6 year old.. so when redeeming, I'm going for quantity of seats, frequency of trips and flexible high season schedule to HI, CUN or MCO (as examples this past year), rather than international first.. Typically I value my miles at 2 cpm when booking Y.. as the minimum value before pulling the trigger..

As well, typically when we go on vacation, I see the destination hotel and the suite booked to be more important.. We usually book 3 or 3 1/2 weeks, so I did 3 vacations of that length this year.. accumulated 56 nights at Fairmont Hotels.. Pretty much all of them in one bedroom suites.. Getting the suite upgraded no charge, getting free nights (we received 10 of 25 nights free on our summer vacation at Fairmont) and flying on FFP points.. whats important is that we had some really good family time together in places a young family can be comfortable..
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
At least there aren't changes TATL....
I can't tell if this is an attempt at sarcasm (nothing wrong with that here) or you haven't heard what's happened with Aeroplan?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:34 pm

AM, I'm sorry to say, but after this thread I think you've blown your Talkboard attempt at becoming one of the elected representative body of Flyertalkers.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by RoninTech
AM, I'm sorry to say, but after this thread I think you've blown your Talkboard attempt at becoming one of the elected representative body of Flyertalkers.
Any particular reason you posted that publicly instead of just Private Messaging him?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
deleted

Last edited by drwilliams; Nov 16, 2011 at 2:00 am
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: aeroplan
[QUOTE=RoninTech;17457494]AM, I'm sorry to say, but after this thread I think you've blown your Talkboard attempt at becoming one of the elected representative body of Flyertalkers. [/QUOTEI

Well if you add posts 224+228+231+232+233+234+238+239+241+242+243+244+24 6+250+253+254+256+258

Yup, your conclusion appears quite reasonable to me^
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I can appreciate everyone voicing their opinions about the election here.. but, I think FlyerTalk Members would appreciate that everyone stay on topic in this thread..

This was a heated topic, that was discussed respectfully by all.. yes we all have emotions and anger towards whats been discussed here.. Hopefully cooler heads can prevail.. myself included..
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I can appreciate everyone voicing their opinions about the election here.. but, I think FlyerTalk Members would appreciate that everyone stay on topic in this thread..

This was a heated topic, that was discussed respectfully by all.. yes we all have emotions and anger towards whats been discussed here.. Hopefully cooler heads can prevail.. myself included..
Personally I'd say it was a frustrating rather than heated topic AM. Amongst all the chaff there's a great thread in here. IMO it's the low signal to noise ratio that made it drift off topic and I made my previous post in the hope that reminding you of your current election nomination in the context of all the expressed frustration would improve the signal. Fingers crossed that it has that affect...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.