Wiki Posts
Search

Meh ... got a flight on the BEH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Meh ... got a flight on the BEH

Booked award tickets for Mom & Dad and unfortunately the only way I could get from A to B (which needed to be done as a positioning flight to get a TATL at the front of the bus from B to C) was to fly the Beech (operated by Air Georgian).

I've never been in the BEH before. What's it like? I assume it's small and there's basically no space for carry-on so everything will need to be skychecked. Mom & Dad will have one checked suitcase that needs to go with them. That's not a problem on the BEH is it?

Last edited by RCyyz; Aug 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
the BEH is a great aircraft and a really fun experience (assuming there is no fear of flying)

If you check luggage then there is no issue at all and there i sky check for non checked luggage.

You have room under the seat for something small but not too much different than a dash8
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
They'll live. There's no overhead storage, but you just use the skycheck instead, which to be honest I prefer to carrying my bag on. There's room for small bags (purses, small laptop bag) underneath the seats.

The flight itself will be fine. The beech is a 19 seater with one seat on each side of the aisle - just warn them to use the facilities before they board, as some don't have washrooms on board.

ETA: here's a shot of the inside of a 1900D.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Personally, I adore the Beechcraft 1900D, and I will go out of my way if I can fly it instead of a Dash 8. Carry-on is put into a big compartment at the front or sky checked. There is no F/A. No cockpit door either... Awesome!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by phedre
They'll live. There's no overhead storage, but you just use the skycheck instead, which to be honest I prefer to carrying my bag on. There's room for small bags (purses, small laptop bag) underneath the seats.

The flight itself will be fine. The beech is a 19 seater with one seat on each side of the aisle - just warn them to use the facilities before they board, as some don't have washrooms on board.

ETA: here's a shot of the inside of a 1900D.
All AC/Georgian Beeches have 'lavatories' in the back. Still, not something you would like to do if you can avoid it.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by jlisi984
All AC/Georgian Beeches have 'lavatories' in the back. Still, not something you would like to do if you can avoid it.
Good to know I've had flights on the mighty Beech 1900D a few times, and it's always had a washroom. I did have a trip on an older Beech years ago that didn't have one, but then you also couldn't stand upright in it. That was a long trip.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks for the comments and the pic gang! ^
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:18 pm

were u upgraded to an executive looking seat???? hahahahahahahahahahahahaa
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Real plane.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I've never been in the BEH before. What's it like?
It's effin LOUD. Sit as far back as possible if you want to get off without a headache. Sit in row 1 or 2 if you want to watch the pilots in action.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:55 pm

I Also love the BEH. Best of the AC-Express planes IMHO!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan basic
Interesting.... I have a flight from DTW-YYZ on this aircraft and wasnt sure what to expect. Was kind of excited at first but am now really excited based on the feedback in this thread.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Souvlaki
It's effin LOUD. Sit as far back as possible if you want to get off without a headache. Sit in row 1 or 2 if you want to watch the pilots in action.
sure better than the IFE lol
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've flown on one of Air New Zealand's BEH's, great fun. The pilot didn't bother to draw the curtain across the back of the cockpit and I was in row 1, so I could lookover his shoulder through the windshield.

Watching him try and be semi lined up with the runway to land in "windy Wellington" was interesting. The wind was causing him to yaw at about a 30 degree angle, and he snapped the plane parallel to the runway just before touchdown. Not a flight to be on if you have a fear of flying!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
IIRC, row 1 doesn't have a window, but otherwise I agree, these are fun aircraft to fly in (as long as it's only a short hop).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.