Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Corporations that take control of your Aeroplan account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM

I have a friend that works for a large corporation which has control over his AE account. I assume that this is quite rare as the AE miles are usually considered a perk for flying on company paid travel.

But how would the company use the points - would they sell them to brokers? Redeem for company travel?

As far as he can remember he has never flown on an Aeroplan ticket, so he isn't using them.

Anyone else have experience with this corporate policy?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many companies do this and more are expected to in the time to come. Alternatively and much more likely, companies will negotiate for discounts which do not provide any points at all.

This is all up to the employer (for company paid travel).
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:26 pm

Wasn't there discussion of this previously where it was determined the terms and conditions of Aeroplan say accounts belong to people, not corporations?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: MP 1K,
Really? this happens? Is it a condition of hiring to open a Aeroplan account?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanJ
Wasn't there discussion of this previously where it was determined the terms and conditions of Aeroplan say accounts belong to people, not corporations?
Doesn't mean your employer can't require as a condition of employment that you hand over control. In the end, all it would mean if AC were to press the point is that the account would be cancelled and nobody gets its use. Chances that AC would enforce against large businesses are between slim & nil.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
That pretty cheap for a big company... let them book it under an Aeroplan id and then switch it to another * alliance account (or second Aeroplan number) as you check in.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:30 pm

In a previous life I worked for a large bank (think East Coast) and the corporate travel was arranged through their own in-house travel "agent"; and no points were accumulated by anyone as they had negotiated a corporate discount in exchange for not getting Aeroplan points for neither the bank nor the traveller.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by soconn
That pretty cheap for a big company... let them book it under an Aeroplan id and then switch it to another * alliance account (or second Aeroplan number) as you check in.
+1. For the air warrior who leaves their house on Sunday night to be ready for work Monday morning, then has to take the red-eye back on Friday night, the least the company can do is give them the miles.

But in today's cost cutting environment, I guess nothing is spared.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:55 pm
PMM

Hi

Originally Posted by DaveTO
+1. For the air warrior who leaves their house on Sunday night to be ready for work Monday morning, then has to take the red-eye back on Friday night, the least the company can do is give them the miles.

But in today's cost cutting environment, I guess nothing is spared.
The Federal Gov't tried it, but didn't get to far. First they stated you couldn't claim the miles and the paper tickets were so endorsed. The AC clerks ignored that. Then they stated that you had to report the mileage earned to the employer so they could be reported as a taxable benefit. Ya really.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by soconn
Yup. Just terminate the first three employees who enagage in those petty shannanigans and it won't happen again for a long time
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The Federal Gov't tried it, but didn't get to far. First they stated you couldn't claim the miles and the paper tickets were so endorsed. The AC clerks ignored that. Then they stated that you had to report the mileage earned to the employer so they could be reported as a taxable benefit. Ya really.
The Australian government has done this by mandating that all government travel is done on special contracts with certain airlines (~10 decent airlines). You cannot earn RDM on any fare although QF still awards status credits on these fares.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Often1
Many companies do this and more are expected to in the time to come. Alternatively and much more likely, companies will negotiate for discounts which do not provide any points at all.
If my employer did this to me, it would be the end of my traveling days, and thankfully they know that. The only thing that makes 100,000+ BIS miles tollerable is the occasional hop up front.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Are you allowed to have two Aeroplan accounts? One for corporate travel and one for personal travel? Hmmm...would really screw you up for MM status if it was split between accounts.

Also, why wouldn't companies just use the Star Alliance programs for businesses? http://www.staralliance.com/en/busin...porate-travel/

They don't seem to get much play in Canada mind you.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My take on it..

Some corporations who spend money for their employees travelling, want to be able to collect points for point redemption travel in the future for employees..

Sine AE accts belong to individuals.. Corporations are taking control of those accounts and accessing accounts for reward travel redemption..
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Often1

This is all up to the employer (for company paid travel).
I'd have no problem with that, as long as the company would pay me for all extra time I put in during my business trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.