FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   "Air Canada Express": New Regional Brand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1209663-air-canada-express-new-regional-brand.html)

DanJ Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by miles85 (Post 16292539)
I'm trying to figure this all out. AC has had Jazz for years, which actually was just changed to Chorus Aviation (Jan 1st due to it previously being an income trust).

Now they're calling it AC Express?

Considering I have a few hundred shares of Chorus (AC Jazz) I might sell and see what this re-organization affects.

And why is Jazz not doing the island flights?

I think Chorus is the holding company name for the company that controls Jazz (kind of like ACE and Air Canada). I think Air Canada Express is just a marketing name. I'm not sure if AC put out for bids the Island flights, or just shopped around, already basically knowing what Jazz would charge, based on the current agreement. AC wanted cheaper costs to be able to compete with Porter, and Jazz was too expensive. Or - AC was pissed at Jazz for partnering up with Thomas Cook and wasn't going to give Jazz the Island in any event (which is what some on an aviation board speculate is the real reason).

Vaclav Apr 28, 2011 5:20 am

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead (Post 16292493)
I always hated the look of the Jazz planes... Looking forward to the new look!

Same here, even though I would hesitate to use the word 'hate'.

Vaclav Apr 28, 2011 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Stussi613 (Post 16293232)
Sky Regional Airlines. This is nothing new, AC uses several carriers for regional services.

I personally like the livery. It's consistent with the mainline brand.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5263/...169bc8e46f.jpg

It looks like the Jazz equipment will get the new livery too.

"But the Air Canada Express brand will gradually be applied to the fleet of Jazz planes operated by Chorus Aviation (TSX:CHR.B), a former Air Canada subsidiary that was spun off several years ago and recently renamed.

Air Canada (TSX:AC.B) said Jazz's 120 planes will get new colours as they come in for maintenance, as will the 15 new Bombardier Q400's on order."

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...xpress-110427/

It looks great and like something that goes very well with the image of the main like. Jazz does not.

Tangoer Apr 28, 2011 5:22 am

Bye bye www.flyjazz.ca

PreferBulkhead Apr 28, 2011 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav (Post 16294312)
Same here, even though I would hesitate to use the word 'hate'.

OK - how about intensely disliked ;)

PreferBulkhead Apr 28, 2011 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav (Post 16294317)
It looks great and like something that goes very well with the image of the main like. Jazz does not.

Agree with that statement.

Vaclav Apr 28, 2011 6:12 am

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead (Post 16294333)
OK - how about intensely disliked ;)

That's better! :)

Wally Bird Apr 28, 2011 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 16293436)
For a while they painted some planes with a Tango logo. Whatever that was good for. It died and became a "fare code". Same will probably happen with AC Express. Or maybe this is another fancy way of denying status miles to loyal fliers.

Not the same. The Tango planes were part of AC mainline and simply rolled back in when that "airline" went OOB. Can't do the same with Dash-8s or CRJs.

I prefer the new paint scheme, the green and yellow Jazz versions were ugly (IMHO) and wore quickly and badly. I can't really tell the difference between the red and orange anyway.

Toule911 Apr 28, 2011 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Tangoer (Post 16294320)

No, the name will stay, we will probably see "Operated by Jazz Air" on every AC Express Jazz planes.

Stussi613 Apr 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by DanJ (Post 16293458)
I'm not sure if AC put out for bids the Island flights, or just shopped around, already basically knowing what Jazz would charge, based on the current agreement. AC wanted cheaper costs to be able to compete with Porter, and Jazz was too expensive. Or - AC was pissed at Jazz for partnering up with Thomas Cook and wasn't going to give Jazz the Island in any event (which is what some on an aviation board speculate is the real reason).

The initial press release indicated a number of conditions for the awarding of the contract. The Q400 was integral to the operation at YTZ due to noise pollution bylaws and I'm sure that it was a heavily weighed factor in the decision to go with Sky Regional.

"Selection of Sky Regional Airlines was based on a number of criteria including a competitive cost structure, a proven track record in customer service excellence and experience maintaining Dash 8 Q400 aircraft."

Ancien Maestro Apr 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Toule911 (Post 16294827)
No, the name will stay, we will probably see "Operated by Jazz Air" on every AC Express Jazz planes.

Probably to appease the union who is probably upset with this new AC marketing strategy. Who isn't upset at AC lately?

Jagboi Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by phedre (Post 16289552)
I hate the train

Any particular reason why? For shorter corridor services it make perfect sense, and for long distances it makes a unique way to travel. I did Toronto - Vancouver a few years ago and it was easily the most stress-free travel experience I've ever had. If it still went through Calgary, I'd never fly within Canada.

DanJ Apr 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 16298799)
Any particular reason why? For shorter corridor services it make perfect sense, and for long distances it makes a unique way to travel. I did Toronto - Vancouver a few years ago and it was easily the most stress-free travel experience I've ever had. If it still went through Calgary, I'd never fly within Canada.

My dad took advantage of the free veterans' train rides on Via a few years ago to come up to Ontario. It was the most miserable experience he said he had since he was a young soldier flying to Cyprus in a Hercules. The train broke down in Moncton on it's way to Halifax, so he had to bus up to Moncton to catch it to start his journey. They arrived in Montreal several hours late, which caused him to miss the connection to Toronto. It ended up being nearly 36 hours from Halifax to London, or about double the time to just drive it. The fact he wasn't out any money on this didn't make it feel any less miserable, that was for sure LOL.

I'm sure corridor service is fine, but I wouldn't want to count on the long haul trains to get me anywhere reasonbly close to on time.

Tangoer Apr 29, 2011 6:01 am

Just another step in AC's move to "Colganize" regional service a la the USA carriers. You might see your local barista perfoming a "CAT II" landing in fog after pulling a late-night coffee shop shift the previous day. Comforting

Outsourcing is the name of the game. Jazz with its legion of professional pilots demanding a living wage will not cut it. Regional is for sale to the lowest bidder now. Race to the bottom.

Santander Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Tangoer (Post 16299987)
Outsourcing is the name of the game. Jazz with its legion of professional pilots demanding a living wage will not cut it. Regional is for sale to the lowest bidder now. Race to the bottom.

Shame, because they (Jazz pilots/ALPA) worked hard for that new contract.
I like the Jazz name, it's charming and unique. The livery is nice too imo and it shows people that "Yes we're flying this route for AC, but this is a Jazz flight." The casual flyer wouldn't even know the difference between a UA plane and a United Express one.