FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   "Air Canada Express": New Regional Brand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1209663-air-canada-express-new-regional-brand.html)

ETStar Apr 26, 2011 9:51 pm

"Air Canada Express": New Regional Brand

It's bye bye to the Jazz brand, according to the article below. The article states "The rebranding is part of a broader move at the airline to give consumers a clear expectation of the different services they will be receiving, both in terms of crew and plane size." I don't see it being different than today, but aligns the regional partners more with the mainline brand.

Air Canada is set to rebrand its entire regional fleet under a new moniker, “Air Canada express,” putting an end to its Jazz brand and opening the door to additional regional partnerships.

The move comes just days before Air Canada is set to launch its new service from Toronto Island on Sunday using a small fleet of Bombardier Q400s operated by Sky Regional Airlines Inc.
http://business.financialpost.com/20...egional-brand/

g46r Apr 26, 2011 11:47 pm

What a waste of marketing money. The AC Jazz brand works just fine.

klparrot Apr 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Sucks. Jazz is a somewhat unique name. Spending money to become boring? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Also, why do so many carriers go with "express" as their regional partner branding? Doesn't that imply that their mainline is slower?

km101 Apr 27, 2011 12:04 am

Express

I suppose "Express" sounds better than "Little cramped plane"

The move would bring their service inline with UA/UAX and CO/COX

DanJ Apr 27, 2011 12:06 am

I think the fact that Jazz wasn't going to operate the Island service was probably going to cause some confusion for people who would be expecting AC service and not Jazz service when they showed up for the flight.

Basically, I think they were just going to create confusion by having all these little airlines providing regional services, but people know Jazz as the regional carrier and don't think there are others. Of course, since Jazz is now Chorus, they could have just rebranded the entire regional network as Jazz instead of Express and been probably 80% complete already LOL.

Solomon2 Apr 27, 2011 12:40 am

Originally Posted by DanJ (Post 16287126)
I think the fact that Jazz wasn't going to operate the Island service was probably going to cause some confusion for people who would be expecting AC service and not Jazz service when they showed up for the flight.

Basically, I think they were just going to create confusion by having all these little airlines providing regional services, but people know Jazz as the regional carrier and don't think there are others. Of course, since Jazz is now Chorus, they could have just rebranded the entire regional network as Jazz instead of Express and been probably 80% complete already LOL.

Agreed. While Jazz/Chorus will still handle the lions share of regional routes, the new name better reflects the fact that there are other carriers like Sky Regional flying for AC.

Garbageman Apr 27, 2011 2:33 am

Originally Posted by DanJ (Post 16287126)
Of course, since Jazz is now Chorus, they could have just rebranded the entire regional network as Jazz instead of Express and been probably 80% complete already LOL.

No, they probably couldn't have done this, as since Chorus/Jazz is now a separate company, I would assume that AC no longer owns the trademarked name "Jazz".

airbus320 Apr 27, 2011 6:39 am

Express......What a bland name ! :eek:

It is not original as other USA airlines use the term express.

GlennH Apr 27, 2011 7:27 am

'Air Canada Regional' or 'Air Canada Connector' would have been better.

hearna Apr 27, 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by GlennH (Post 16288210)
'Air Canada Regional' or 'Air Canada Connector' would have been better.

Ewww no!
They should have left evas and cma and jazz the way they are, they work good in their respective markets. The new sky regional service should have have just been named " we are trying our damndest do drive porter into the ground service". If porter folds they will abandone sky regional anyways so why bother with all the hoo ha!

CdnFlier Apr 27, 2011 8:06 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Everyone seems to think that Jazz is part of mainline anyway.. This will really help with that :) the service level differences between them get annoying at times (even the silly things like credit card machines for a while, or coke zero)

heraclitus Apr 27, 2011 8:35 am

Originally Posted by klparrot (Post 16287096)
Also, why do so many carriers go with "express" as their regional partner branding? Doesn't that imply that their mainline is slower?

"Express" has become the publicly-accepted marketing shorthand for second rate.

You show up for a flight on any carrier's "Express" service and you're happy if it turns out to be a CRJ (and not some prop thingy) and you actually get a cup of lukewarm pop.

It's all about managing expectations!

Ancien Maestro Apr 27, 2011 9:21 am

Express works fine.. I've never booked Jazz on AE awards.. I don't think it was possible but not sure. I've taken flights on United Express, and one connection in Denver was a joke.. they had to make two switches.. I booked this connection one year from Hawaii through AE *A rewards.

So I'm not sure if its a good thing if AC Express would be part of AC mainline connections. I think the union has a problem about it already.

Vaclav Apr 27, 2011 9:24 am

I booked a bunch of those new flights to YTZ last weekend when it came to about @218 all in, in T with the promo code.

My expectations? I expect to get exactly what is being advertised: New planes with 33-34" legroom, on-time performance and what they call 'premium' service on the ground (YTZ) and in the air. But I am not holding my breath.

I do not really care what they call it. In my understanding, it is something like a (business) shuttle, no-frills airline (who needs J class on a such a short flight?). Competition is good, and I hope that both this upstart and Porter survive and continue doing well.

phedre Apr 27, 2011 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16288898)
Express works fine.. I've never booked Jazz on AE awards.. I don't think it was possible but not sure.

You can. I've booked YOW -> YYR with segments on Jazz and EVAS. Also booked YOW->YUL* a few times, which is almost always Jazz.

* Don't judge me, I can't drive and I hate the train :P