Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to launch cut-rate vacation carrier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to launch cut-rate vacation carrier

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Goodbye pods!
And so they should on purely vacation or VFR destinations. The good news is that the 767s leaving the mainline flight for the discount airline will be replaced by 777s and 787s with pods, perhaps even better ones with some newer technology.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
"Rousseau said it will be 100 per cent owned by Air Canada, with its own separate management team."

What great news. What Air Canada (with more VPs than Delta) really needs is another layer of management.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Air Crapadair?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I wonder if the 767 that AC will first use for the LCC will the three amigos?

I'm probably most concerned about how many (little?) EQM we will get flying on the AC LCC? If 50% tango plus is bad, imagine how much lower it can get ...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by maradori
I'm probably most concerned about how many (little?) EQM we will get flying on the AC LCC? If 50% tango plus is bad, imagine how much lower it can get ...
I expect ZERO miles.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K
I expect this will be a copy of Air Transat. May be even one grade lower. It will fly to LGW instead of LHR.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC A50K
Is this really a good business idea?

I fail to see the business sense in this idea. Starting a separate airline catering to people who vacation once per year and offering no frills.
I would imagine that vacationers (other than frequent flyers) would be bringing too much luggage and would bring multiple children (and associated strollers/car seats)

The overhead at the current AC is large, by starting a second airline, will they require a second set of back room infrastructure? (call centers, ground crew, ect)

I wish they would clean thier current house up before they try and start a second airline. (ie: make AC an industry leader, OTP, quality hard and soft product and maintain and expand connections to interesting places themselves or with thier partners.)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I thought they last time they announced this they had redirected it to be a Canada-Asia discount carrier (although that made little sense)? Guess not anymore!

hmmm wonder if status will give anything on this new airline.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by km101
Is this really a good business idea?
Of course it is!

Zip
Tango
Song
Ted
Bmibaby

and others prove it is.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by tracon
Of course it is!

Zip
Tango
Song
Ted
Bmibaby

and others prove it is.
JetStar
GermanWings
Condor
DragonAir
MartinAir
Transavia
Mango
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sebring
And so they should on purely vacation or VFR destinations. The good news is that the 767s leaving the mainline flight for the discount airline will be replaced by 777s and 787s with pods, perhaps even better ones with some newer technology.
Agreed. Pods to BGI are nice ,not necessary. The champagne was the best thing on a Caribbean flight,with OJ of course. That service left years ago.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Pay scales? Let's guess.

FAs $17000 maxing out at $35000 (they'll want to rotate staff out, replacing them with yet another round of young, naive job seekers).

Pensions? LMAO. The tip jar and any spare change found under couch cusions is your pension. Welcome to China-nada. Kanuckistan. The Party leader rules! Hard work brings freedom...

Pilots? Look South to the budget regional airlines.
$17000 maxing out at $55000 ...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Pay scales? Let's guess.

FAs $17000 maxing out at $35000 (they'll want to rotate staff out, replacing them with yet another round of young, naive job seekers).

Pensions? LMAO. The tip jar and any spare change found under couch cusions is your pension. Welcome to China-nada. Kanuckistan. The Party leader rules! Hard work brings freedom...

Pilots? Look South to the budget regional airlines.
$17000 maxing out at $55000 ...
Who are you to decide what Canadians should work for? Rest asured, there will be many more applicants than jobs for the new LCC.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
JetStar
GermanWings
Condor
DragonAir
MartinAir
Transavia
Mango
Exactly.

Let's see, AC can fill a high CASM 767 with 211 seats or a 275-seat 767 to BCN. Most of J is filled with T+ upgrades.

And people here are convinced this doesn't make sense ...... (Often the same people buying T+ sitting in a POD to BCN, MAD, FCO, SXM, BGI, ...)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by km101
I fail to see the business sense in this idea. Starting a separate airline catering to people who vacation once per year and offering no frills.
LH seems to disagree with you.
Their new LCC will be based in Cologne.

AC's LCC seems to be quite similar to LH's (shocking, I know!!)

IMO, AP points will be offered on the LCC. At a very reduced rate, of course. Just that something to choose AC LCC over TS and others

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.