Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC updated their policy in 2022 relating to baggage interline on seperate tickets. The policy is:

Baggage Through-Check on Separate Tickets

As per IATA recommendations, Air Canada will follow suit with our airline partners and, effective immediately, we will no longer offer the ability to through-check customers and/or baggage to the destinations of the second ticket, except in the following scenarios:
  1. Purchase individual Air Canada (014) tickets.
  2. Purchase individual tickets from Pacific Coast (8P) or Air North (4N)
  3. An approved and documented regulatory or legal exception on the customer's file
  4. During irregular operations, two tickets were issued as a result of a single coupon reissue (including Air Canada to Other Airlines)
    • For instance, a customer may have an original YUL-AC-YYZ-LH-FRA ticket that has been reissued due to IROP on two tickets: YUL-AC-YYZ on AC (014) and YYZ-LH-FRA single coupon reissued on LH (220).
There are a mix of data points inconsistent with this policy, so YMMV.

Notwithstanding this policy, data points continue to be inconsistent.

Print Wikipost

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GeekyFlyer
PNR cannot be linked in advance
Yes it can. But it's also not necessary.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE (P); Marriott Plat; Accor Plat; KQ Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
well, my bad… but for my defence I was told so by 6 different reservation agents and concierges, but they did it as soon as it was under airport control.
pschafer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
It is allowed by AC's current practice, but some check-in agents just do not know how to do it. And it is pretty difficult to HUCA a CI agent ...
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
It is allowed by AC's current practice, but some check-in agents just do not know how to do it. And it is pretty difficult to HUCA a CI agent ...
No it isn't. I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong. has a perfect example of that.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do you mean to add the baggage? If so that has been my understanding too that you do not need to link PNR to add baggage. It is just an entry for baggage and the pax may have to get a new boarding card in transit. This happened to me on an AC and TK flight. AC agent said the same thing and I told that I am not asking to be issued with a boarding card for my onward flight. Just need the baggage added so I do not have to pick it up again and go and check in at the counters and go thru security and all that hassle at YYZ and that it can be done. The agent spoke with a supervisor and came back and added the bags for thru check in. Different PNR. Actually the agent gave the boarding card for the onward flight too.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:17 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Checked bags - 2 pnr ?

I have a Reward trip this summer from yul- to Athens
Was not able to get Athens to Santorini as a reasonable connection time on reward , so, I will book a separate revenue ticket for the Athens Santorini portion on Aegean , Star Alliance partner

At check-in @ Yul , will the agent be able to check my bags thru to Santorini so I don't need to fetch them in Athens?

If they show reluctance, should I push?
Thx for any feedback on this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
delete

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jan 11, 2023 at 8:14 pm
Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Unlike other airlines, AC does not have a policy against through-checking baggage on separate PNRs. AC will even through-check baggage to non-*A airlines.
Historically, that was true, but has changed recently. Hence my merging the question with the existing thread on this topic.
Jasper2009 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Historically, that was true, but has changed recently. Hence my merging the question with the existing thread on this topic.

I completely missed that memo. So AC has gone from allowing through-checking to any airline with an interline agreement (incl. non-*A) to not even allowing AC - *A through-checking, without any advance notice? Ouch!
Old Apr 3, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: AC 50K
Hi everyone:

I'm reading through the last few posts and I'm not clear.

My daughter is travelling from YVR to NRT to KIX booked on 2 separate PNR, the first flight is AC and the second leg is Jetstar which was booked direct with Jetstar.

Will AC check her bags through to KIX, or will she have to pick up her bags in Narita, then check them in again for her flight to Osaka?

The latter seems like a pain as she will have to go through security again, I assume.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
Hi everyone:

I'm reading through the last few posts and I'm not clear.

My daughter is travelling from YVR to NRT to KIX booked on 2 separate PNR, the first flight is AC and the second leg is Jetstar which was booked direct with Jetstar.

Will AC check her bags through to KIX, or will she have to pick up her bags in Narita, then check them in again for her flight to Osaka?

The latter seems like a pain as she will have to go through security again, I assume.
Based on recent experiences here, they will not be checked through. It's moot anyway, as International to Domestic connections at NRT require you to pick up your bags anyway (and reclear security).
kalderlake and Sean Douglas like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Oh, a recent data point - AC would not through-check my bags YVR-SFO-DXB (AC then EK) on a recent trip even though both tickets were on 014 stock (cash, and then an AP redemption).

YVR has Pre-Clearance, so technically that would be possible.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Oh, a recent data point - AC would not through-check my bags YVR-SFO-DXB (AC then EK) on a recent trip even though both tickets were on 014 stock (cash, and then an AP redemption).

YVR has Pre-Clearance, so technically that would be possible.
Pre-clearance has no bearing on this. If they want to, they can easily do it regardless of pre-clearance. You'd just have to clear the bags through customs and dump them on the connections belt.
canadiancow and roastpuff like this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
AC Ticket to United Ticket (with codeshare flight)

Hi all: I've read through the thread and am a bit confused about where people think things currently stand. I gather that AC used to check bags through pretty liberally, then there was a policy change where they stopped doing that, even on two AC tickets. However, there have been a few posts above from December to January suggesting this may still be possible in some cases. My itinerary is below:
Aeroplan reward ticket: YEG to YYC (operated by Jazz)
United reward ticket: YYC to ORD, ORD to DCA (both operated by United, as codeshares with AC)
I'm wondering if people think I have a chance of getting my bags checked all the way through from YEG to DCA, and if so, if there is anything I should do, or say at the counter (magic words?) to maximize my chances of success. (I have enough time at YYC to re-check if needed, but would prefer not to of course).

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Apr 15, 2023 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Hi all: I've read through the thread and am a bit confused about where people think things currently stand. I gather that AC used to check bags through pretty liberally, then there was a policy change where they stopped doing that, even on two AC tickets. However, there have been a few posts above from December to January suggesting this may still be possible in some cases. My itinerary is below:I'm wondering if people think I have a chance of getting my bags checked all the way through from YEG to DCA, and if so, if there is anything I should do, or say at the counter (magic words?) to maximize my chances of success. (I have enough time at YYC to re-check if needed, but would prefer not to of course).
I had an AC reward to A3 reward in October and had to recheck. I suspect you’ll have to recheck in YYC but the only one that can tell you for sure is the checkin agent that morning. Good luck
ZenFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.