Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Info re AC3007/AC3008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2001, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Probably two reasons for doing it this way.

1. There are unlikely to be any spare 319 or 320 aircraft to put on a "sterile" flight like this [if such a flight would be allowed by Canadian law] since they are needed on most other routes to replace CD9s and 737s.

2. The actual number of passengers continuing through to YYZ may not justify dedicating even a smaller aircraft to this task. Similarly with the outbound flight ex-YYZ, the loads may not justify such a deployment.

It would be simpler, and thus is likely why it is being done, just to deplane everyone in YVR and add the 747 capacity to service the high-demand, hourly flight schedule between Vancouver and Toronto. That way one can be assured the 747 will be filled on the domestic segments, and also won't have a long layover since it likely cannot be turned around and redeployed across the Pacific due to time relationships (i.e. leaving too early to facilitate return turnaround, etc.). For those passengers who don't want to be inconvenienced this way, there is always CX's non-stop from Toronto.

By the way, isn't this the flight that didn't show up in the printed schedule as either a YYZ-HKG-YYZ service or a domestic YYZ-YVR-YYZ service?

Obviously, this will be resolved when the new schedule is introduced and traffic can justify the non-stop volume on a 340.
Old Mar 22, 2001, 8:48 am

For those passengers who don't want to be inconvenienced this way, there is always CX's non-stop from Toronto.

I thought CX flights in/out of Toronto had one stop in Anchorage using one flight number. YYZ-ANC-HKG, HKG-ANC-YYZ. Has CX started flying non-stop?

[This message has been edited by Flying Buffalo (edited 03-22-2001).]
Old Mar 22, 2001, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Not yet.

Sterile flight YVR-YYZ will generally only make sense if you are feeding off a number of flights. If you can arrange for NRT/KIX/HKG/BJS/SHA/TPE all to arrive around the same time, you can move the CNX pax to a sterile aircraft and move on.

However, if your loads aren't predictable, you run into an allocation problem. Too many pax, and you've got nowhere to put them, to few, and you're wasting an aircraft.

Meanwhile, unlike the other YVR-YYZ ops., you can't mix in domestic pax to pick up the slack.
Old Mar 22, 2001, 10:14 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

she said EVERYONE (that's what she said) onboard this flight was asked in YVR so a great deal of people missed their YVR-YYZ portion of the flight (AC3008).

I am not sure what you mean by "Asked", does it mean everyone was sent to secondary inspection? If so, that's kind of hard to believe.

AC (CP) is only using their 747 on the YVR-HKG route which mean they have couple of them sitting around. It makes sense for AC to use the aircraft on such a popular transcon route. By operating it as a domestic flight instead of a sterile flight, it allows them to pick up domestic passenger and operate it as one of their hourly flight between the city rather than having to run another aircraft which cannot pick up passenger in YVR, isn't that a bigger waste of resource? There's just not enough people from HKG going to YYZ on a regular basis to fill a sterile YVR-YYZ flight.

However, if you promise everyone from TPE/KIX/SHA.. that they will be connecting to the sterile YVR-YYZ flight and clear customs in YYZ then you create a problem that what if there are too many such passenger and not enough seats? It really makes no difference to me whether you clear customs in YVR or YYZ but I do find YVR custom officers more intense in their questioning.

I thought CX flights in/out of Toronto had one stop in Anchorage using one flight number. YYZ-ANC-HKG, HKG-ANC-YYZ. Has CX started flying non-stop?

Yes, there's typically a technical stop in ANC both ways. However, in the summer time, sometimes a flight can go HKG-YYZ non stop if they get favourable tailwinds.

By the way, isn't this the flight that didn't show up in the printed schedule as either a YYZ-HKG-YYZ service or a domestic YYZ-YVR-YYZ service?

No, the flight that was missing was AC 11/12. This flight (AC 3007 YYZ-YVR-HKG/3008 HKG-YVR-YYZ) was only introduced after AC decided to stop AC 11/12 temporary back in Feb.
Old Mar 22, 2001, 2:54 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Hi Empress, what I mean is that they were taken into a "room" or something for further questioning.

If I recall correctly, I remember CP used to have all their Asian flights to arrive approximately at the same time, or bank, then have a sterile flight to carry the rest of the connecting pax on to YYZ.

[This message has been edited by Agincourt (edited 03-22-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.