FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Info re AC3007/AC3008 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/11776-info-re-ac3007-ac3008.html)

Andrew Yiu Mar 4, 2001 3:56 pm

Info re AC3007/AC3008

Information from A Flygirl:

Effective March 4, AC3007, Boeing 747 service from Toronto to Hong Kong, with stop in Vancouver, will depart from Toronto’s Terminal 2. The flight leg between Toronto and Vancouver will carry Domestic traffic. Effective March 5, the return flight, AC3008, will arrive at Terminal 2. Travellers returning from Hong Kong must clear Customs in Vancouver. For details, consult CIC*644/50.

Altaflyer Mar 4, 2001 4:06 pm

Does clearing Customs in YVR cause a big headache for a YYZ passenger? I would think it would not be the ideal situation. On the bright side I guess it gives YYZ-YVR traffic a 747 to choose from.

Andrew Yiu Mar 4, 2001 4:10 pm

Why would it be a problem? I always do it. I never take Flight 7/3007 and 8/3008 all the way to YYZ because it results in less points. {They post it as a single YYZ-HKG segment}.

By doing this, AC allow the aircraft to pick up passenger on this flight in YVR and also operate it as one of the hourly flight between YVR and YYZ instead having to protect this flight and not let anyone on. CP used to make passenger change from a 747 {HKG-YVR} to a DC-10 or 767 or A320 for the YVR-YYZ segment. I would rather clear custom in YVR and continue on the 747!

ALW Mar 4, 2001 4:15 pm

CP used to make passenger change from a 747 {HKG-YVR} to a DC-10 or 767 or A320 for the YVR-YYZ segment. I would rather clear custom in YVR and continue on the 747!
But now they have the flexibility to use a smaller plane on the domestic segment.

andrew

Flying Buffalo Mar 4, 2001 4:21 pm

Clearing Customs in YVR? I have not had a problem doing that in the past. All that you have to is: 1) clear customs(lines are usually long), 2)re-claim your luggage and have it re-checked if connecting, 3) walk(looonnnggg walk) to your next gate.

I can't seem to find a 747 YYZ-YVR, YVR-YYZ on the schedule anymore? Is that flight no longer offered? I wanted to book a 747 for 2 trips this summer(June and August), but I can't seem to find it on the schedule anymore.

AC's site is showing AC 11(343), but I thought that was cancelled.. and AC 105(343) is also showing up, but that was also cancelled.

[This message has been edited by Flying Buffalo (edited 03-04-2001).]

After Burner Mar 4, 2001 4:26 pm

I've never done the HKG flight, but I've stopped in YVR from HNL or OGG. Is that a headache? Yes, a huge headache. I would never do it again.

I don't know how this scenario compares with the HKG flight, but:

1. The flight is overnight, so naturally you want to sleep all the way. Stopping in YVR disrupts this. The YVR arrival time from HKG is at about 2:00am HKG time, so this is definitely a time you want to be sleeping.

2. Picking up and re-checking baggage is a major headache.

Andrew Yiu Mar 4, 2001 4:35 pm

I can't seem to find a 747 YYZ-YVR, YVR-YYZ on the schedule anymore? Is that flight no longer offered?

What days are you looking for? Starting today, the 8:15am YYZ-YVR {AC3007} will be a 747 7 days a week. the 10:15am YYZ-YVR (AC3981) flight will also be a 747 on Sundays and Mondays.

For YVR-YYZ, the 11:30a flight {AC3008} will be a daily 747 flight and the 2:30p flight (AC3992) will be a 747 flight on Saturdays and Sundays.

AC's site is showing AC 11(343), but I thought that was cancelled.. and AC 105(343) is also showing up, but that was also cancelled.

Yesterday was the last day of AC11 until June. AC105 {YYZ-YVR} is still operating on a 767 aircraft departing YYZ at 7:15a {I am on this flight on Thurs..} and departing 9:15a when the summer schedule begins in Apr.

1. The flight is overnight, so naturally you want to sleep all the way. Stopping in YVR disrupts this. The YVR arrival time from HKG is at about 2:00am HKG time, so this is definitely a time you want to be sleeping.

I would rather spend the time clearing customs so i could go straight home right after I land in YYZ. They put all the customer in a waiting area for over an hour waiting for the YVR-YYZ flight, you don't get to go to the lounge or anywhere else. You're stuck there until the aircraft is ready to board again.

2. Picking up and re-checking baggage is a major headache.

It's not that bad, you claim it to walk pass customs then just drop it off at the baggage belts again as the bags have all been tagged to YYZ already at HKG.

Flying Buffalo Mar 4, 2001 5:37 pm

I am currently looking at the following dates:

June 5: AC 131 YYZ-YVR 8:15 10:06 767-300ER
June 19: AC 100 YVR-YYZ 14:30 21:55 767-300ER

August 2: AC 131 YYZ-YVR 8:15 10:06 767-300ER
August 16: AC 100 YVR-YYZ 14:30 21:55 767-300ER

I could not find AC 3007, or any flights on a 747 for the flights listed above.

Andrew Yiu Mar 4, 2001 5:43 pm

I say it's still a bit too early to be sure on the schedule on the dates that far ahead as AC always move around with the schedule for domestic flights. CP will a couple 747s sitting around once as AC will be taking over the YVR-TPE route soon leaving only YVR-HKG as the only asia route served by CP using a 747.

AC 11 is scheduled to be back operating on June 1 which means the disappearance of AC 3007 from YYZ.

Eric the half a bee Mar 5, 2001 3:58 pm

After doing HKG-YYZ about half a dozen times last year, have to say my views are mixed. Sometimes (when you're half asleep) it was good just to stay on the aircraft and doze thru the stop at YVR, sometimes I was dying to get off and have a walk.
One thing for sure, if we ever get the non-stop YYZ-HKG, in spite of the "lost" miles, it would be great...

It would just be great if we could "lose" the whole dragging bags around from one belt to another - this was a first for me (even after quite a bit of travel)
E.g. flying into the UK and on to a domestic airport (even from outside Europe), the bags get checked thru to your domestic destination and you don't have to check them thru customs at your point of arrival. Often times, there isn't even any inspection at the other end, you just take your bag off the belt and leave (For any potential smugglers out there, this *always* seems to be the case at Belfast http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif )

I understand everything/one is pre-screened...er...at least I hope so!

[This message has been edited by Eric the half a bee (edited 03-05-2001).]

A Flygirl Mar 5, 2001 4:41 pm

Thanks Empress for getting the initial information out. How frustrating...**** cable. It's like having a major artery choked off when you need the circulation - right now.

The AC schedule is evolving and changing on a day to day basis. Stay tuned for further changes and disruptions. Not just on routes but on the equipment that have historically operated them.

Agincourt Mar 5, 2001 10:46 pm

Hi,

Just saw something interesting but rather weird when I check AC3007 today (March 5th) in AC's site. The routing for AC3007 was from YYZ-YVR-ANC(ANCHORAGE)-HKG. What happened to that flight? Are they having a visit with CX829? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Andrew Yiu Mar 5, 2001 11:01 pm

Most likely mechanical problems or sick passenger on board.

It was originally "planned" to arrive at HKG 6:11p after the 1 hour delay out of YVR. It shows as "diverted" in the system.

Agincourt Mar 21, 2001 7:37 pm

Hi,

I have a question regarding clearing Customs in YVR for flight AC3008. Two of my "not-too-close" relatives just arrived today on this flight. However, since they would now need to clear Customs in YVR, she said EVERYONE (that's what she said) onboard this flight was asked in YVR so a great deal of people missed their YVR-YYZ portion of the flight (AC3008). Therefore, they were then transfered to the next flight out of Vancouver.

And now, my question is, isn't that sort of a waste of resources in AC's part? I can imagine quite a number seats on the 747 would have otherwise occupied now left empty. I know AC would "transfer" them no matter what and there would be no such a real "loss", but imagine all the special services that were particularly there for the Asian passengers would now end up no uses for their original purpose (eg, Asian FAs).

So, 1)why this flight needs to clear Customs in YVR, and 2)why can't they just use a smaller plane (like A320) to pick up the connecting pax (like CP did in the past) and close it to domestic?

Thanks.

StuMcIlwain Mar 22, 2001 7:13 am

Your option 2 makes a lot of sense, but there are probably scheduling issues that make this a problem. Air Canada would have to get the A320 back to YVR afterwards. The stop in YVR is temporary, and was likely introduced in such a way so as not to disrupt the rest of their operations.

It might be worth writing to AC to ask why they don't do this. Maybe they haven't even thought of it.