Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: OLCI: Why not available for PDX and SEA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: OLCI: Why not available for PDX and SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (former)MVP, DL [NW-WP], AC Aeroplan, Starbucks Gold :)
Question OLCI: Why not available for PDX and SEA?

Hi AC FTers!

I was trying to check in for my PDX-YVR-YYZ-YOW flight online -- unsuccessfully. When doing that, I learned that PDX and SEA are not set up for OLCI for those originating at these two airports. Virtually all US cities are OLCI compliant, but for some reason, not PDX and SEA. Anyone know why?

~FAI PDX Flyer!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA MP
Probably because AC/Jazz don't have their own staff at the check-in counter for checking travel documents. At PDX/SEA you will get checked-in by UA personnel.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG
PDX and SEA are handled by UA, using their checkin system (I've forgotten what it is called). Because of that you can not check in online with AC and will have to do it at the airport in PDX.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Thumbs down Why no OLCI from PDX or SEA??

Anyone know why AC cares where my ITN originates when using OLCI? Neither PDX nor SEA is on the "approved" city list despite each having several daily flights to YVR and a NS to YYZ. I don't remember any US airline having city-of-origin OLCI restrictions, even for INTL flights. Sure, they verify docs at the airport but I could still check in and go for a good seat.

It's as if AC would prefer me to fly out of PDX on QX and then xfer to AC in YVR. Then I could use OLCI for my entire segment (PDX - YVR - LHR). I did that last month due to the way schedules played out and was allowed OLCI because my AC flights originated in YVR.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:33 pm

It's an IT limitation. Some stations in the US do not use AC's software, and thus are not OLCI-eligible.

I've not flown AC out of PDX but in SEA the UA agents use the UA res system - I suspect the same is the case in PDX.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC*SE,SPG Platinum,HHounours Gold, FairmontPlat
Originally Posted by YYZC2
It's an IT limitation. Some stations in the US do not use AC's software, and thus are not OLCI-eligible.

I've not flown AC out of PDX but in SEA the UA agents use the UA res system - I suspect the same is the case in PDX.
Yep suspect to believe that they are both non DCS stations therefore not allowing OLCI.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Ok, so I it take the issue would be the UA system would not be able to scan an AC BP. I guess that's a plausible explanation. Still, it's quite frustrating that in the year 2011, they can't make the UA and AC systems talk to each other. Some how they manage to do it when the post the mileage to my UA account.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Yes, very frustrating.

One would think we could just use UA's online checkin system...but ce la vie
Old May 15, 2011, 11:13 pm

those stations are managed by United Airlines. Using their equipment, specifications and staff.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:12 am

This is actually quite a pain if you don't have *G status and have an early morning departure out of SEA. The UA check-in lines is usually long at Seattle that time of the day.

If you are AC*E or SE the UA premium check-in lines are almost always empty at Seattle.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by g46r
This is actually quite a pain if you don't have *G status and have an early morning departure out of SEA. The UA check-in lines is usually long at Seattle that time of the day.

If you are AC*E or SE the UA premium check-in lines are almost always empty at Seattle.
Agree it is a total pain, but they do at least have self check in terminals on the UA gate area at SEA.

Worse thing is that they cannot process last minute Eupgrades so unless it clears the day before you're SOL.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Worse thing is that they cannot process last minute Eupgrades so unless it clears the day before you're SOL.
You mean getting rows 1 and 2 on those Dash8 flights?
Old May 16, 2011, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
There's a SEA-YYZ AC flight using E90 at 8am. However I think you'll get cleared at the gate, if eUpgrade doesn't clear before you check in.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Another instance why it may be useful to call AE reservations line and find out if options are bookable.. its' free, takes 10 or 20 minutes..

But lists all the options available for booking.. and if you can't book OL, then complete the booking with the reservations agent (and pay the $30 per ticket)
Old May 18, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by g46r
Originally Posted by Shareholder
There's a SEA-YYZ AC flight using E90 at 8am. However I think you'll get cleared at the gate, if eUpgrade doesn't clear before you check in.
PDX and Sea both have J to YYZ and if it doesn't clear before checkin you are not upgraded. UA system cannot pull the eupgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.