Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What other routes does AC use the whole aircraft for Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2001, 10:39 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

I just found one..

YUL-PTP

There's no J fare and one can get a seat anywhere on the A320. However, on ITN, the J section is marked for premium passenger.

Is there any other routes like this?
Old Feb 21, 2001, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This is primarily a tourist run, or family run, to a very poor island which certainly could not sustain full fare J. Like the YYZ-MAN. And even LHR service from Atlantic Canada. It does not pay for AC to operate dedicated single-class configured aircraft, so it uses domestic configured aircraft which can operate the segment length, but sells the front cabin at the full, or at least limited discounted economy fare. Why loose revenue from holding back premium seats if they can be sold at such economy fares?
Old Feb 21, 2001, 7:20 am

Another route is YYZ-Aruba.
Old Feb 21, 2001, 8:19 am

Based on my recent J experiences, I'd say they're gradually phasing it in over the whole network...
Old Feb 26, 2001, 6:26 pm

Does that mean all higher tier members can buy el cheapo tickets on these flights and reserve a J-tooled seat?
Old Feb 27, 2001, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I just took a look at PTO and ITN for YYZ-MAN. They both only show Y class and lower, but there appears to be no way to make a seat selection in the front. I guess that means you would have to call for those seats.
Old Feb 28, 2001, 7:32 am

Programs: AC MM
Fractionally off topic...

I travelled to Mexico last month on Air Transat. They use an L-1011 that has a small business class cabin at the front. Apparently the only reason that they have not configured the whole aircraft for Y is that there are not enough exit doors to meet the requirements for the additional passenger numbers that would result from an all Y configuration.

They sell the larger seats up front for about a $50 to $80 premium, making very clear that all you get is a larger seat - in all other respects, the service is the same as the rest of the plane.

I think this is a great idea - getting a large seat for a very small price increment - I would be very happy if Air Canada offered this same choice on the routes where they only offer Y service with dual-class aircraft.
Old Feb 28, 2001, 10:19 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
YYZ-MAN should show S class for the front cabin if I am not mistaken. It sells for around $300 more than Y if my memory serves me...

Dorian
Old Feb 28, 2001, 10:29 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Yes... it shows S class on ITN.
Old Feb 28, 2001, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
S is the booking class for the Y2/Y fare on this route--there is no premium.

There is also a discount SUPHAPS, which requires a 7 adv purchase, 7 day stay, and is equivalent to the weekend B fare.
Old Feb 28, 2001, 4:22 pm

Hay Max, what are ya doin'?? Flying the competition?? Come on, I got a family to feed here!!
Old Feb 28, 2001, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC MM
Actually, I would have preferred to fly there on Air Canada, whom I am generally pretty happy with, but the ticket on Air Transat came as part of a vacation package deal.

It was an Air Canada plane, though (about 25 years ago)

[This message has been edited by Max Power (edited 02-28-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.