Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is First class worth the extra points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is First class worth the extra points?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
if you even have to ask, forget it!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Shareholder
if you even have to ask, forget it!
^ +1

Originally Posted by montrealer
I value F vs C at about +$30/long haul flight, which is nowhere near the cost of the incremental points.

What airlines have you flown F on? I've flown on many and I wouldn't hesitate to spend 10x that amount for a C->F upgrade - or 10,000 miles each way in a heartbeat. However, I've never tried the US carriers - UA/AA/etc. I do know that the F seat is much better bed-wise than C on LH so that's a big draw for their flyers I'm sure. The new LX F/C is a world apart from the C they had to YUL until recently! I have to get my LX and EK reviews up...

I would echo the idea of a NRT routing if your wife will let you - or start in YVR to get an extra segment out of the ticket. I do this often! You will never forget it. You will get much, much more value than using the 20,000 miles for a round-trip in North America that you could buy for $400-500.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: AC.SE
I agree with the pro-F posters. The advantage of flying LH from YUL is that you probably won't be on a 747, which is arguably has the poorer of the LH F on-board experiences (16 seats arranged 2x2, which doesn't feel particularly exclusive when there are a lot of people in the cabin; the Airbuses have 1x2x1 and half the number of seats).

The overall experience is much better than AC business class.

Returning to Canada via Asia to try F on one or more of the Asian carriers is a good idea, if you don't mind the transit through the US.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
We flew from YYC to ORD to specifically try out LH F. I believe the plane was an A346 back in January. The Calgary LH service only has C. We chose Chicago rather than YUL to avoid AC metal which kept the reward price down.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by mikeyyz

What airlines have you flown F on? I've flown on many and I wouldn't hesitate to spend 10x that amount [$30/leg] for a C->F upgrade - or 10,000 miles each way in a heartbeat. However, I've never tried the US carriers - UA/AA/etc. I do know that the F seat is much better bed-wise than C on LH so that's a big draw for their flyers I'm sure. The new LX F/C is a world apart from the C they had to YUL until recently! I have to get my LX and EK reviews up...

I would echo the idea of a NRT routing if your wife will let you - or start in YVR to get an extra segment out of the ticket. I do this often! You will never forget it. You will get much, much more value than using the 20,000 miles for a round-trip in North America that you could buy for $400-500.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. You guys seems to be happy to spend $200-300 extra for less than one day's worth of a somewhat better experience. That's just not worth it for me. I have spent that amount per day to go with a guide to areas of the Amazon and the Zambezi River that I could not get to easily any other way; I can't imagine spending it on a somewhat better meal, somewhat better booze, somewhat better bed - and more people bowing obsequiously to me. And I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to add an extra connection for the experience. In terms of the food element alone, you could get a heck of a restaurant meal at whatever the destination is for that incremental cost.

Since you asked, I've flown F on BA, LH, Thai, American, and short-haul SQ (I'm only counting F on 3-class carriers). I regularly fly business on AC, BA, LH, SQ, and occasionally others (e.g. Jet, KLM, ...). What I am willing to pay extra for (cash, points...) is a flat bad...usually that's C class, but esp in Asia a lot of medium-haul C is just bucket seats and then F (if flat) is worth it - to me
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I love the idea, but I don't think this is a valid routing (you go through FRA twice on the way to the point of turnaround, NRT).
Be neat to see France twice though.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Be neat to see France twice though.
FRA=France?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:31 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I love the idea, but I don't think this is a valid routing (you go through FRA twice on the way to the point of turnaround, NRT).
Is this still an issue even if you're not stopping over at FRA and only transiting? If so, routing through MUC on the way there might solve the problem.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
Is this still an issue even if you're not stopping over at FRA and only transiting? If so, routing through MUC on the way there might solve the problem.
Yes. You cannot connect in the same place more than once per direction.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:07 pm

Thanks. learned a lot from this.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jarusoba
FRA=France?
Above route example had FRA listed twice on a one way.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite
A great big thank you to everyone who responded to my posting.

I just booked first class tickets from YUL to MUC.... & on top of that was advised there will be approx $350 fuel surcharge credit!

I am looking forward to the experience

Oh & just for fun when I called to book my seats asked how much the flight costs
First class ticket was advised return YUL MUC is $11,729 each - checked AC website & it was $8967-wonder why the difference?

Last edited by braysu; Dec 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Burn the points while you can.. seems like AC is going to grab it no charge if left dormant. Good on you!^
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been reports of high success rates in getting LH F and/or LX F on the YUL routes not just with AE but among other *A rewards as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.