Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is First class worth the extra points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is First class worth the extra points?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by braysu
Thanks to everyone for all your replies and experiences, appreciate it.

My husband is still debating spending more points since we are getting low on points (we book several aeroplan flights per year) & wanting to book 2 flights from YOW to YVR in the next few months. But like it was said, we will likely never have a chance to experience first class ever again (I fly AC business class overseas often) so might be a rare chance to experience it.
If you want to be a little "creative" you could try to book something like:

YOW-YVR one-way revenue ticket

award ticket:
YVR-YOW (stopover)
YOW-YUL-MUC-FCO (destination)
FCO-BCN (stopover)
BCN-MUC-YUL-YOW(-YVR) (drop the last segment)

I´m not a 100% sure YUL-YOW-YVR is permitted, but it should be within MPM, so should be ok IMO.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount

My husband is still debating spending more points since we are getting low on points (we book several aeroplan flights per year) & wanting to book 2 flights from YOW to YVR in the next few months. But like it was said, we will likely never have a chance to experience first class ever again (I fly AC business class overseas often) so might be a rare chance to experience it.
I have flown LH F at least 10 times - LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:19 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Braysu - are you and your husband the sort who splurges on fancy hotels when travelling for leisure, or do you figure a bed is a bed? It's sort of the same for C versus F. You've heard from a few people who love F - as someone who usually travels C transoceanic, and very occasionally F, I find F hardly worth the bother. Sure people smile and you more, and the food is better. But it's still not great, and what I care about is a flat bed and not much else. So I value F vs C at about +$30/long haul flight, which is nowhere near the cost of the incremental points.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Virgin, Starwood, RBC Awards, Air Miles, OneWorld
Definitely agree...

Hi there,

I'd definitely agree with some of the other posts here. I'd spend the points on LH F over AC Exec First any day. I do enjoy the AC pods, as I find them more comfy than the old LH F seats (which aren't bad by any means, i.e., I slept well on them, but they just weren't lie flat). I've flown LH F round-trips three times now (two to Europe) and one was this past July. I also just flew SQ Biz Class service 8 weeks ago, and LH F is right up there. The onboard service completely outranks AC's product. It's bordering on unreal. If you enjoy caviar and all the trimmings then you'll adore their caviar service. The multiple glasses of champers pre-take-off are lovely. The FAs are always brilliant. (I also flew Swiss F this past summer and much preferred LH's product.) As has been said previously, if you can depart from FRA, the LH First Class Terminal is worth a trip on its own. I booked a 1pm flight for us from FRA and we stayed over in FRA so that we could arrive at the terminal at 8am to enjoy a number of hours of the experience. When you arrive at the terminal, the LH ground crew come out to retrieve your bags, passports and boarding passes (and you don't see these again until you need them, i.e., when you're leaving the terminal in your private, chauffeur-driven Porsche or Merc directly to the plane) and then help you through their private security area (which takes all of 15 seconds to clear).

Two thumbs up to LH F!!

Cheers, and enjoy your voyage,
PS
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The F booking is definitely the way to go- I would check on LX via ZRH- otherwise LH via MUC is a good second option. Enjoy your flights!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If you want to be a little "creative" you could try to book something like:

YOW-YVR one-way revenue ticket

award ticket:
YVR-YOW (stopover)
YOW-YUL-MUC-FCO (destination)
FCO-BCN (stopover)
BCN-MUC-YUL-YOW(-YVR) (drop the last segment)

I´m not a 100% sure YUL-YOW-YVR is permitted, but it should be within MPM, so should be ok IMO.
Thanks Jasper2009 for the creative suggestion however in this case it would not work since we are looking at flying our kids from YVR to YOW for a visit! However interesting way to try to save points !
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:31 pm

We decided to go with LH F too. We're going to Europe next fall, and instead of AC C we got LH F - routing is YXS-YVR-LAX-FRA-VCE and back from FRA. I think it's definitely worth the extra 20k points for F on the longhaul (esp for a long flight such as from LAX), and definitely happy that we're leaving from FRA on the way back so we can enjoy the FCT. ^
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold

if you can use your AC points for F use them. AC points are very difficult to use! grab the seats while you can.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do it! A comparison of Y vs. J/F on a flight to MCO is not relevant to this discussion - it is night and day to compare the difference of transatlantic premium class travel vs. Y class travel!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

I guess if you're low on points, but got enough points to do it.. may as well go big or go home.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
I would echo all the other posters. LH F if only for (a) the FCT in FRA and (b) the LH first class pajamas that you can show off on your other long hauls!!!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:42 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat

For the ULTIMATE first class experience, I would fly to Rome on Lufthansa First and return to Canada via Asia so you can try Asiana, Thai or ANA. If you get real lucky you may even be able to get first class on Singapore's FRA-SIN flight.

Make sure your connection in FRA is at least 4 hours so you can maximize the ground experience. Also, I would skip Montreal and connect through a southern US gateway to maximize flying time in the air. Montreal to Europe is too short a flight to really enjoy first class.

So my itinerary would look something like this:

YOW-IAH (on Continental)
IAH-FRA (Lufthansa First)
FRA-FCO (stopover)
FCO-FRA
FRA-ICN (Asiana First)
ICN-NRT (point of turnaround - spend a couple of days in Tokyo - why not!)
NRT-ORD/IAD/JFK-YOW (ANA First)

This should be a valid itinerary bookable on an Aeroplan award. I've booked similar itineraries using US Airways miles before.

You might think I'm kidding. But I'm not.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Add me to the "do it!" crowd. Here's a short write up I did earlier this year that has some pics and video of the LH F flight we took from ORD to FRA.

Last edited by RoninTech; Dec 7, 2010 at 7:15 am Reason: LF should have been LH
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
So my itinerary would look something like this:

YOW-IAH (on Continental)
IAH-FRA (Lufthansa First)
FRA-FCO (stopover)
FCO-FRA
FRA-ICN (Asiana First)
ICN-NRT (point of turnaround - spend a couple of days in Tokyo - why not!)
NRT-ORD/IAD/JFK-YOW (ANA First)

This should be a valid itinerary bookable on an Aeroplan award. I've booked similar itineraries using US Airways miles before.

You might think I'm kidding. But I'm not.
I love the idea, but I don't think this is a valid routing (you go through FRA twice on the way to the point of turnaround, NRT).
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:46 pm

I flew LH First ORD-MUC over Easter and it was a great experience! The service was FANTASTIC (if a bit overwhelming - I was the ONLY pax in First so I couldn't sneeze without a helpful FA at my shoulder with a tissue!) - when the FA found out I was flying out for a family member's 90th birthday he gave me all the roses for the seats and chocolates to give to the rest of the family'. It was a nice touch.

It was really quite funny, at various points different crew members would come up and apologize for the 'old' and 'tired' equipment saying the fleet would be upgraded next year and I should fly with them again before judging LH. I'm relatively new at flying Business or First but let me tell you it was still miles ahead of the return flight with UA - frayed seats, broken toilet, and dysfunctional cassette entertainment system.

Oh and they provide the most comfortable pajama tops! (The bottoms sizes don't match.)

Take the plunge and enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.