Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-YYZ chances of upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, NEXUS, Hilton Diamond
HKG-YYZ chances of upgrade?

I know that from YYZ-HKG there is little to no chance of an upgrade with SSWU certs considering I'm E, on a T+ fare. But can anyone tell me if the chances are greater on the way back? I'm flying back on a weekday...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Very unlikely. Even SEs don't often make it on this route. Hold no hopes and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:29 pm

airangela, you may have better luck using your SSWU on YYZ-YVR-HKG.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Not on this airline. No Way.

To be honest Cathay Pacific in economy is far superior to anything this outfit can offer, business class, First Class..... anything class. Far superior. The Cathay gate agents actually seem to want to assist you, the website works, the 800 number is answered by someone who isn't anti-customer and the flight will staff attendants who aren't angry all the time.

Seriously friend, get on a real airline. Not this outfit of ingrates
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by contikipaul

To be honest Cathay Pacific in economy is far superior to anything this outfit can offer, business class, First Class..... anything class. Far superior. The Cathay gate agents actually seem to want to assist you, the website works, the 800 number is answered by someone who isn't anti-customer and the flight will staff attendants who aren't angry all the time.

Here we go again......

Did you even read the OP's question and understand what he/she is asking? Is the OP's question asking for your opinion on AC vs CX or COS between the two airlines?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Service yes. But seats on CX, no.... not in economy anyway, and not till the change the fixed back seats to something more flexible!

Besides, one can't upgrade on CX flights with mere system wide upgrade certificiates.. so that ends that story!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Originally Posted by airangela
I know that from YYZ-HKG there is little to no chance of an upgrade with SSWU certs considering I'm E, on a T+ fare. But can anyone tell me if the chances are greater on the way back? I'm flying back on a weekday...
Upgrades with SSWU is possible for this route, I had a friend who flew this route last year and was upgraded both ways. I'll find the dates for you, or get him to post here.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by beepyou
Upgrades with SSWU is possible for this route, I had a friend who flew this route last year and was upgraded both ways. I'll find the dates for you, or get him to post here.
I'm the friend.

I upgraded both ways. I was an E on Tango+.

AC015 Toronto, Pearson Int'l (YYZ)
Fri 29-Jan 2010
10:00 - Terminal 1
Hong Kong (HKG)
Sat 30-Jan 2010
14:30 - Terminal 1
0 15hr30 77L Tango Plus S
M,L
AC016 Hong Kong (HKG)
Sat 20-Feb 2010
16:25 - Terminal 1
Toronto, Pearson Int'l (YYZ)
Sat 20-Feb 2010
18:05 - Terminal 1
0 14hr40 77L Tango Plus S
M,B
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
yyz-hkg is one of the more difficult flights to upgrade but your on a weekday so you have a chance.. next time go via YVR- hkg thats one of the easiest flights to upgrade.
that or yyz-NRT

Last edited by why fly; Nov 8, 2010 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 1K+
Here we go again......

Did you even read the OP's question and understand what he/she is asking? Is the OP's question asking for your opinion on AC vs CX or COS between the two airlines?
FT has a great feature called ignore. For situations just like this.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:25 am

Uhhh... Last time I tried the website, it can't even load properly. And credit card transactions get stuck processing half way. As for their J herringbones, it's narrower than AC and phone to customer service rep leaves you waiting forever... Using Asia miles to upgrade to J is also impossible.

Overall CX is a great airline, but there is limitations as well
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: AC Elite, Marriot Silver
As both Elites, my wife and I had no problems upgrading (SSWU) for our outbound (Thursday, July 29th) YYZ>YVR>HKG and return (Monday, August 9).

We picked going via YVR because some on this forum mentioned it could be easier to get upgraded. On the return from HKG, Exec First was packed -- lucky to get upgraded.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
It clearly depends when you go...I go 3-4 times a year. Those on this thread who flow in January. That is one the best times. Now between early January 2011 is the hardest. Thier is over 300,000 Canadiens living in HK. They come home mostly during this time. Also the majority of X-Mas containers are shipped out to North America now. So majority of Business class room is booked. I came home from HKG 2 weeks ago and Buisness was full. I saw 3 Elites who didn't make it up front. Maybe just that day. Also as stated here flying too YVR is much easier.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:44 am
Suspended

As with the others, I have to say it's unlikely.

When I've flown the route as SE, there were a number of times it went down to the wire.. I always got it, but sometimes other SE's didn't, let alone E's.
That said it really depends. I had some friends out in HK on AC staff travel and they went back to YYZ and the cabin still had seats (AFTER STAFF got in) so everyone got upgraded... but rare as hens teeth.

Good luck!

PS. And as per Guy Betsy.. yeah the service on CX is great, you can practically get a handy J out of most of the girls.. certainly a phone number and a date in town the following day.. but the current Y seats are TORTURE if you're taller than 5'8 and unpleasant if your shorter. My wife and I have literally chosen not to get on flights to Rome or Vancouver in Economy and wait for the next one in J. CX Y seat is horrible. (they are putting in new seats though starting in Dec..)
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, NEXUS, Hilton Diamond
Thanks everyone. I didn't even ask about YYZ-HKG because I knew that was nearly impossible. My schedule is this: Flying out to HKG Nov 18th AC0015 and flying back on Nov 29th AC0016. Going through YVR is not an option at this time because I am traveling with 2 others for business, and we're supposed to be all together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.