Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The AP rip off--must be Guinness Book Record

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The AP rip off--must be Guinness Book Record

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by contikipaul
Bait - Travel chart says.............Fly to South America for 75000 points
Switch - When booking flight......... it costs 1,398,000 points
Wrong.

Bait and switch, by definition, means that you are steered towards a different product once you're in the "store". In this case, it's the same product. Hence, no "switch". It's perfectly fine to advertise a product, and sell out of that product.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AAExP(3MM), HHDiamond, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, United Mileage Plus
It is potentially a bait and switch

Yes, it is pretty much bait and switch. It does not have to be a different product, it can be advertising a product and then finding that the product is not available at the advertised price. So unless you can prove that someone got that award for the advertised mileage amount, it is a bait and switch. In this case you are not switching products, you're switching "prices" once you have the person in the store (or in the FF program in this case). And as another poster pointed out(maybe on a different thread) some airlines don't offer award seats at certain redemption levels on certain flights. Since they don't tell you that when you sign up for the program, that is also a form of bait and switch. You are led to believe that seating on a flight may be limited, but not that whole flights are excluded.

Bait: You can fly from Toronto to Buenos Airies in BC for 75,000 miles
Switch: Only on Tuesdays and Sundays on the 2 am departure. All other flights require 1,000,000 miles. (none of this being identified prior to you earning the mileage or contacting the airline for the award)

Originally Posted by Scoop
Wrong.

Bait and switch, by definition, means that you are steered towards a different product once you're in the "store". In this case, it's the same product. Hence, no "switch". It's perfectly fine to advertise a product, and sell out of that product.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by chicago_guy
Yes, it is pretty much bait and switch. ... You are led to believe that seating on a flight may be limited, but not that whole flights are excluded.
Do you have evidence that whole flights are excluded?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: FB Gold, G3 Gold, JJ Vermelho
Originally Posted by Shareholder
And the Argentinian government's new $100+ visa fee for Canadians (each entry not for multiple entries within 6-months, or for the life of the passport)!
How much does the Canadian government charge the Argentines for a visa? I bet it's exactly the same $100+.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
lol. i usually fly *A but due to AA mileage cards offer + starwood points xfer, just booked 2 F saaver tix on AA for president's day week SFO-EZE-SFO for 250K miles.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
I guess it depends.

I recently actually redeemed 480,000 mileage points for 2 tickets (Delta). Great value? Nope. Acceptable value? Yup! Will I do it again? Nope.

Am I going to stop buying tickets based on my allegiance? Yup. I have watched too many flights take off with empty seats when I had a mileage ticket for a different flight, but in the wrong class code for the flight I wanted to change to.

It was a great run; started with AA back in 1981, bought several million miles worth of air travel since then. During the 1990's, I was a treasured customer, now I am just another person on electronic call waiting, then talking to an untrained agent/order taker with no power to do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.