Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Dayliner Flight to Frankfurt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Dayliner Flight to Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Dayliner Flight to Frankfurt

Would a daytime flight from Toronto to Frankfurt allowing connections to evening flights out of Frankfurt be feasible?

Perhaps when the Boeing 787's arrive?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by kevy_boy
Would a daytime flight from Toronto to Frankfurt allowing to connections to evening flights out of Frankfurt be feasible?

Perhaps when the Boeing 787's arrive?
If the LHR daytimer runs at 9am and arrives about 9pm then the FRA would arrive after 10. Connections that night might be difficult. Is AC looking at doing the Daytimer to FRA?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by mtensioners
If the LHR daytimer runs at 9am and arrives about 9pm then the FRA would arrive after 10. Connections that night might be difficult. Is AC looking at doing the Daytimer to FRA?
I was thinking that the flight could leave at 6am or so.

Not sure if AC is looking at this sort of flight. The thought came to me after I missed the last flight to Frankfurt, and I had to wait until the next evening to fly.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:06 pm

A problem with it leaving at 6 am is that not everyone lives in the centre of the universe. With a 9 am departure they are able to get some connecting passengers onto the flight which makes it a bit more attractive. I don't think that there is any advantage to using a 787 over the 767 unless you just mean that there would be more planes sitting around that they have to use.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:54 pm

A/C utilization is poor for eastbound atlantic crossings.
The a/c would have to overnight in FRA.
It would take more than one a/c to operate a daily dayliner to FRA.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:57 am

An 0730 departure from YYZ to FRA would get in around 2100, if my calculations are correct. It would at least allow good connection to the bank of LH flights that leave FRA at 2230 for JNB, SIN, BKK, etc. I wonder if AC would have rights to continue the flight to another destination at that point, rather than parking it at FRA overnight.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
An 0730 departure from YYZ to FRA would get in around 2100, if my calculations are correct. It would at least allow good connection to the bank of LH flights that leave FRA at 2230 for JNB, SIN, BKK, etc. I wonder if AC would have rights to continue the flight to another destination at that point, rather than parking it at FRA overnight.
An extension of this FRA flight would require prepositioning a whole crew at both destinations. This gets into more $$s and would the traffic generate enough revenue to offset the expense?

"Business casing" this scenario is beyond my pay grade !

Perhaps someone familiar with airline revenue management could comment on this suggestion.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
For those destinations, better to connect through LHR with SA, SQ and TG.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AC-E, Fairmont President's Club Premier
Originally Posted by tracon
A/C utilization is poor for eastbound atlantic crossings.
A friend was on AC 868 (the dayliner YYZ-LHR) last month and he said the plane wasn't even half full on that particular day. He was chatting with one of the FAs and she suggested that AC was considering scrapping the flight altogether. If a YYZ-LHR dayliner flight isn't financially viable, I doubt a YYZ-FRA flight would be?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:42 am

IMHO, a dayliner FRA would only work in the Summer season when transatlantic travel peaks. Simultaneously, AC would need to pull forward its first arrivals bank at YYZ to 06:00-06:30. I'm in Winnipeg, and this could mean a YYZ bound departure at 03:30-ish in the morning.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by HeavierThanAir
A friend was on AC 868 (the dayliner YYZ-LHR) last month and he said the plane wasn't even half full on that particular day. He was chatting with one of the FAs and she suggested that AC was considering scrapping the flight altogether. If a YYZ-LHR dayliner flight isn't financially viable, I doubt a YYZ-FRA flight would be?
I've tried to get on this flight, i would *love* to fly during the daytime instead of the red-eye, and AC has a slightly cheaper fare for this flight too.

But I can't find a connection at either end that works
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Do European based or US based airlines offer a dayliner service between USA and Europe?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Do European based or US based airlines offer a dayliner service between USA and Europe?
Sure, from NYC there are plenty of choices of daytime flights.

Edit: A quick search turns up:
VS 18
CO 18
AA 142
BA 178
AA 90
UA 922
I wonder how often people turn up for the wrong flight between VS 18 and CO 18 given that they're an hour apart between the same two airports and with the same flight number.

I'm a bit puzzled because I know I flew EWR-LHR on BA during the daytime once but there doesn't seem to be such a flight any more.

Last edited by zkzkz; Jun 19, 2010 at 4:49 pm
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:08 pm

I believe there are also daytime services to LHR from ORD and BOS.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by HeavierThanAir
I used to do the YYZ-LHR dayliner quite often. It's better than arriving at LHR in the early morning on a redeye. But I found that the immigration delays at LHR around 2100 or so were steadily getting worse; on one occasion it took 90+ minutes. Standing (no seats) in line that long wiped me out for the next day far more than a redeye would have.

So I don't use it any more, but I can only surmise why ridership is down if indeed it is. There simply is no convenient (for everybody) way of scheduling an eastbound TA, it's an ordeal however you choose to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.