Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
It would help if every member could take a moment to ensure they are posting in the correct thread. This one is meant to be only for listing valid booked mini-RTW itineraries and not questions about booking mini-RTW which belong in this thread:

Mini RTW Questions

Newer members who are just coming to find the whole topic are likewise encouraged to read and pose their questions in this thread:

The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

List of valid and booked Mini-RTW 2.0 (post-2014 version of this thread)
Print Wikipost

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by echino
I don't think there are any written rules about which stop is considered a destination. I believe the destination is any stop you choose, not necessarily the furthest or the most expensive.
A possible alternative to what I said is that you "choose" the furthest away city as destination to serve for MPM calculation reasons, BUT you pay the higher redemption cost for stopping in a city in the most expensive redemption zone on the way. So in the JFK-JED-SIN-JFK example, you would say destination is SIN to make sure the MPM is JFK-SIN, but you'd pay JED redemption cost because it's the more expensive zone.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
A possible alternative to what I said is that you "choose" the furthest away city as destination to serve for MPM calculation reasons, BUT you pay the higher redemption cost for stopping in a city in the most expensive redemption zone on the way. So in the JFK-JED-SIN-JFK example, you would say destination is SIN to make sure the MPM is JFK-SIN, but you'd pay JED redemption cost because it's the more expensive zone.
This actually makes sense given what I've read on the forum, with people telling the customer rep that their destination is city X even if it is only a layover just to get the higher MPM allotment. So it does seem like the consumer can decide on his own what the destination city is to maximize MPM. That said, it should be a stopover or turnaround city unless you want to try to game the system and hope the rep does not notice, as in the example I cited here.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:21 pm

Also, I believe there is a trick here. But don't tell anyone.

If you go JFK-JED-SIN-JFK, you pay Middle East mileage. But if you go JFK-SIN-JED-JFK, you pay Asia 1 mileage.

This is because you trip is divided into two parts - outbound and return. In the first case, it would be:

Outbound: JFK-JED-SIN
Return: SIN-JFK

JFK-JED is 135k in business, and JFK-SIN is 125k, you pay whatever is higher (135k).

In the second case, it would be:

Outbound: JFK-SIN
Return: SIN-JED-JFK

SIN-JED is 115k, and SIN-JFK is 125k, you pay whatever is higher (125k).

So you get the idea.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:27 pm

Hmm, that is interesting. However, what is the logic that prevents AeroPlan from saying "one of your stops is in the Middle East, so you are paying 135K."

I thought that regardless of order, the stop which is most expensive is the one charged.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Hmm, that is interesting. However, what is the logic that prevents AeroPlan from saying "one of your stops is in the Middle East, so you are paying 135K."

I thought that regardless of order, the stop which is most expensive is the one charged.
I think, on the outbound, the stop which is most expensive from the origin is the one charged. On the return, the stop which is most expensive from the point of turnaround is the one charged. I saw, a couple of times, people reporting booking stops (not just connections, but full stopovers) in India on the return from Asia 1 for Asia 1 mileage because of this logic. They are not going North America - India. They are in fact going Asia 1 - India.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I think, on the outbound, the stop which is most expensive from the origin is the one charged. On the return, the stop which is most expensive from the point of turnaround is the one charged. I saw, a couple of times, people reporting booking stops (not just connections, but full stopovers) in India on the return from Asia 1 for Asia 1 mileage because of this logic. They are not going North America - India. They are in fact going Asia 1 - India.
Iiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting. That counters what I said, and if I am wrong, I stand corrected. That's a very interesting loophole. So by that logic, if I am going YYZ-KIX but I want to stop by BOM, I should be booking YYZ-NRT-ITM, then KIX-BOM-FRA-YYZ (I didn't check the costs, but I am assuming KIX-BOM costs less than BOM-FRA or FRA-YYZ), and that would be allowed?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Iiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting. That counters what I said, and if I am wrong, I stand corrected. That's a very interesting loophole. So by that logic, if I am going YYZ-KIX but I want to stop by BOM, I should be booking YYZ-NRT-ITM, then KIX-BOM-FRA-YYZ (I didn't check the costs, but I am assuming KIX-BOM costs less than BOM-FRA or FRA-YYZ), and that would be allowed?
I think there are no written rules, but you get the case to argue. I think this should be allowed, as similar routings were allowed for Asia 1 mileage in the past.

The calculation would be (assuming Osaka as a destination, and BOM and FRA as stops):

YYZ-ITM: 125k
KIX-BOM: 85k
KIX-FRA: 105k
KIX-YYZ: 125k

The most expensive is 125k and that is what you pay. But if the agent denies it, it is not my fault
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL

Tried on aeroplan site with yyz-sin-bom-yyz, charging the Indian Subcontinent level, not the cheaper Asia 1.

Agent made a mistake, me think
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:41 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Modified an existing Asia-1 F miniRTW to an open jaw:

Code:
SFO - FRA LH F -747
FRA - ZRH LH J (stop)
ZRH - FRA LH J (20 hour layover)
FRA - KIX LH F -747
KIX - CTS NH Y (turn)
CTS - HND NH Y 
NRT - LAX SQ J (20 hour layover) - A380
LAX - IAD UA F - 3 cabin 777 FWIW
IAD - YYZ UA Y

AY                            2.50
Credit                       32.40
Refund                       29.90
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: aerplan elite
Just finishing today three week long.
YYZ- YUL AC C
YUL- ZRH LX F
ZRH- MUC LX C
MUC- HKG LH F
HKG- BKK TG F
BKK- KBV TG C
KBV- BKK TG C
BKK- FRA TG F
FRA- CDG LH C
CDG- FRA LH C
FRA- ORD LH F
ORD- YYZ UA Y
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by khanbaba
Just finishing today three week long.
YYZ- YUL AC C
YUL- ZRH LX F
ZRH- MUC LX C
MUC- HKG LH F
HKG- BKK TG F
BKK- KBV TG C
KBV- BKK TG C
BKK- FRA TG F
FRA- CDG LH C
CDG- FRA LH C
FRA- ORD LH F
ORD- YYZ UA Y
How were you able to get 12 segments and go through FRA twice on the way back? Good agent?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: aerplan elite
Originally Posted by dinosims
How were you able to get 12 segments and go through FRA twice on the way back? Good agent?
Originally I was going ICN-FRA but Asiana changed that flight to 2 class so I called schedule change department and they let me go through FRA twice. I had 10 segment total but a week before this trip, I called them again and asked if I could add 2 more segment, and to my surprise they let me do it for $90 change fee.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by dinosims
go through posts 616, 625, 735, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've caught wind that the mini-RTW for Y is still 75K points to redeem..

Any comments on doing this in Y.. and how many stopovers can you do on the mini-RTW before becomes an RTW?

We are starting to consider redeeming for a mini-RTW possibly for next summer..
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I've caught wind that the mini-RTW for Y is still 75K points to redeem..

Any comments on doing this in Y.. and how many stopovers can you do on the mini-RTW before becomes an RTW?

We are starting to consider redeeming for a mini-RTW possibly for next summer..
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-mini-rtw.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.