Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:57 am

I would believe a 16 segment limit. From my experience with a paper infant ticket we had thanks to air China a couple years ago, it looked like 4 segments per slip/page and 4 slips max
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I can confirm that I once had an award ticket with 2 sub-24 hour overnight connections - one in IST, one in YYZ. And this was on a one-way award, which doesn't allow stopovers.

Call back and get somebody with a clue.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Sorry, that's complete and utter bs. Call again! Overnights are not stopovers at all. On an all-North american itinerary you may have a problem with long stops (it's not 23:59 but might be more like 4-6 hours before it becomes a stop) but not on international.
Thanks guys!!! I called back this morning and was able to get all my bookings through! My itinerary as of now is:
YVR > YYZ J AC
YYZ > ORD Y AC
ORD > IST J TK - Destination
IST > TGD J TK - Stop
TGD > VIE J OS
VIE > ZAG J OS - Stop
ZAG > CPH Y OU
CPH > ORD J SK
ORD > YVR J AC

It came out to 370$ taxes & Fees.

Now I have a year to plan out what I'm going to do at these places

I did have a quick question about the IST lounge. I have a friend who will be travelling with me (likely in Y) for most of this trip. Is there any way to pay for a guest to join me whilst there? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask in an attempt to avoid the awkwardness of lounging while my friend waits outside :P

Huge huge shoutout to JJonahJ for his invaluable help behind the scenes!
JJonahJ likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You also have an open jaw in here. WOnt that make it invalid?
Yup I changed it and all was good. Didn't realize open jaw had to be at destination. Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by emustyle
Thanks guys!!! I called back this morning and was able to get all my bookings through! My itinerary as of now is:
YVR > YYZ J AC
YYZ > ORD Y AC
ORD > IST J TK - Destination
IST > TGD J TK - Stop
TGD > VIE J OS
VIE > ZAG J OS - Stop
ZAG > CPH Y OU
CPH > ORD J SK
ORD > YVR J AC

It came out to 370$ taxes & Fees.

Now I have a year to plan out what I'm going to do at these places

I did have a quick question about the IST lounge. I have a friend who will be travelling with me (likely in Y) for most of this trip. Is there any way to pay for a guest to join me whilst there? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask in an attempt to avoid the awkwardness of lounging while my friend waits outside :P

Huge huge shoutout to JJonahJ for his invaluable help behind the scenes!
Great job on banging out an itinerary for your trip! The taxes are a tad on the upper side, but probably could be lowered if you had the SE waiver on those AC segments. Plus with the large number of airports in your list this tacks more and more onto the final bill. Still, nothing to scoff at, and I like both TATL J (TK and SK) products you've selected.

As for the IST TK-J lounge, I'm not sure if the Priority Pass or credit card program (Amex Plat/Biz Plat) can get your friend in as a guest. I'll leave it to others to chime in on what your options are.

Happy planning!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:45 pm

Fairly sure Turkish lounge doesn't support priority pass. Could both visit a third party lounge if you wanted to stay together
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Fairly sure Turkish lounge doesn't support priority pass. Could both visit a third party lounge if you wanted to stay together
Yea I didn't think it would, I guess the hope was to be able to bring a guest with the J ticket or something along the lines of this offer:
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...-during-winter

But I'm not sure if something like this will be available Oct 2018. Oh well Its a nice to have if possible :P
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:26 am

Hi all,
I've been reading these forums for the past few months and piecing my first mini RTW trip in business class. I finally found an itinerary that works, however, the taxes I was quoted ended up being $591 which was more than I wanted to pay.

YYZ > TPE BR

TPE > SIN SQ
SIN > SYD (ECON) SQ - Destination

SYD > PEK CA
PEK > HND NH

NRT > PVG CA
PVG > YYZ AC

I'm assuming that the AC portion is giving me the high fees. Any ideas on how to lower it? It seems hard to avoid AC coming back to Toronto. I don't necessarily need to go Tokyo but I thought it would lower the fees.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by coffeenomster
I'm assuming that the AC portion is giving me the high fees. Any ideas on how to lower it? It seems hard to avoid AC coming back to Toronto. I don't necessarily need to go Tokyo but I thought it would lower the fees.
It definitly is the PVG-YYZ segment. You will need to fly UA,CA or BR on your long leg. Another way to avoid it is to come back the long way like SYD-PEK-IST-YYZ with TK, as long as you are within the MPM.

You may need to connect in the USA on the way back to avoid these scamcharges.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by coffeenomster
Hi all,
I've been reading these forums for the past few months and piecing my first mini RTW trip in business class. I finally found an itinerary that works, however, the taxes I was quoted ended up being $591 which was more than I wanted to pay.

YYZ > TPE BR

TPE > SIN SQ
SIN > SYD (ECON) SQ - Destination

SYD > PEK CA
PEK > HND NH

NRT > PVG CA
PVG > YYZ AC

Looks like you're connecting in PVG but not actually stopping there? I would imagine that coming back to YYZ directly from NRT would lower the YQ, even on AC, since flights from Japan are typically exempt from YQ if Japan is the stopover/destination, whereas flights from China are not. YQ on AP bookings can be a bit of a black box though...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Looks like you're connecting in PVG but not actually stopping there? I would imagine that coming back to YYZ directly from NRT would lower the YQ, even on AC, since flights from Japan are typically exempt from YQ if Japan is the stopover/destination, whereas flights from China are not. YQ on AP bookings can be a bit of a black box though...
AC will try to charge full YQ for SYD-YYZ, even if portion is on non-scamchargeable airlines, and even though there should be no YQ ex Australia.
Black box indeed - AC collects the money, and noone knows what really for.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Just route thru TPE again like your outbound

SYD-PEK-TPE-YYZ should work if you dont need to goto Tokyo, and take care of lowering the fee.

if you want to keep a 3rd stop (assuming from the way you formatted the legs that you are stopping in TPE, SYD, and HND/NRT), you could goto Korea instead and still have the SYD-PEK CA leg and route thru TPE.

SYD-PEK-ICN-TPE-YYZ is only 14.5K which is well under the 15.5K for SYD-YYZ
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:46 pm

I did want to keep a 3rd stop but the places I was interested in going to (SIN/BKK/HKG) didn't have business class flights coming back to Toronto without being on AC metal.

But it seems that AC is charging the scamcharges on the long leg so perhaps if I do a stop in Tokyo and can find the long leg from there, it MAY be lower. Will keep searching!

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:23 pm

I have my mini RTW trip coming up in a couple of weeks to Bali. With the volcano issues right now, I am curious as to what Aeroplan's responsibility is to travellers in such a situation. No charge rebooking or change flights based on points availability? I am optimistic that things will be cleared up by the time I travel but I am curious in case something comes up while on my trip.

Also, I have a connection in New York (from EWR to JFK) of 5 hours. If there were an issue and the plane lands late in EWR but theoretically enough time to transit to JFK in a perfect world, who is liable in the case of a missed connection due to heavy traffic? I agree to the connection based on 5 hours. I don't think I would want to try it the transfer with less time.

My apologies if there is a better thread for these questions.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splicer100
Also, I have a connection in New York (from EWR to JFK) of 5 hours. If there were an issue and the plane lands late in EWR but theoretically enough time to transit to JFK in a perfect world, who is liable in the case of a missed connection due to heavy traffic? I agree to the connection based on 5 hours. I don't think I would want to try it the transfer with less time.

My apologies if there is a better thread for these questions.
Whoever brings you into EWR is responsbile. If you dont feel like there is enough time because of a delay, ask your carrier that brings your into EWR to rebook, once you attempt to make your way to JFK, you are SOL.
YEGcg likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:16 am

Hello everyone,

I've been reading quite a bit and trying to learn how to make a mini rtw work for my family trip next year to Asia.

Does the below look valid for mini rtw routes?

YYZ-TPE
TPE-DPS (Destination & Stop for 2-3 days)
DPS-SIN (Stop for 2-3 days)
SIN-KUL (Layover 23 hrs)
KUL-SIN
SIN-SGN (Stop 2-3 weeks)
SGN-TPE
TPE-YYZ

OR

YYZ-SEA
SEA-TPE
TPE-DPS (Destination & Stop for 2-3 days)
DPS-SIN (Stop for 2-3 days)
SIN-KUL (Layover 23 hrs)
KUL-SIN
SIN-SGN (Stop 2-3 weeks)
SGN-TPE
TPE-LAX
LAX-YYZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.