Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Trying to fly YYZ-BKK December 2 - 23rd with a stopover or 2 in between I would like Somewhere in europe but everywhere seems expensive or cold at this time of year.

Right now best Flights seem to be YYZ-SIN-BKK for routing but I would like another stop/destination.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Chaddix77
Trying to fly YYZ-BKK December 2 - 23rd with a stopover or 2 in between I would like Somewhere in europe but everywhere seems expensive or cold at this time of year.

Right now best Flights seem to be YYZ-SIN-BKK for routing but I would like another stop/destination.
The weather could be anywhere from -10°C to +15°C degrees in Dec.

You could visit some Christmas markets in Germany/Austria if that's of interest. If you want somewhere warmer, how abotu Greece? Or possibly Israel? (although staying within MPM can be a challenge)
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by JCYC5
I'm very much open to having HKG become a <24hr stop and change TYO to a stop - would probably make things much cheaper if I did that, is that correct?
If you manage to book the routing you listed, yes, it should be quite a bit cheaper.

Originally Posted by JCYC5
I have yet to confirm availability for dates - I've been trying to search the resources here to find out when would work best for this in terms of J opening up availability on all the various airlines. Is there a centralized thread/wiki that has such information?
Not that I'm aware of; that info is scattered throughout this thread/forum. Good luck!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If I have an OJ at my destination, is the distance of the OJ included in my mileage for MPM purposes or not?

Eg if I do YVR-PER//MEL-YVR, is PER-MEL included in my allowable mileage for my return or does only MEL-YVR have to fall below PER-YVR MPM?

Or... Would it be two different MPMs for inbound/outbound?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
If I have an OJ at my destination, is the distance of the OJ included in my mileage for MPM purposes or not?

Eg if I do YVR-PER//MEL-YVR, is PER-MEL included in my allowable mileage for my return or does only MEL-YVR have to fall below PER-YVR MPM?

Or... Would it be two different MPMs for inbound/outbound?
Yes the OJ is included in the calculations.

So PER-MEL-YVR must fall below PER-YVR MPM.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
THANK YOU!!! With your assistance and about 20 hours of reserach, I just returned from a honeymoon mini-RTW that was amazing! (Except for the last ANA leg - more on that below). We flew the following itnerary:

YYC-YYZ - AC J (lie flat)
YYZ-IST - TK J(lie flat)
IST - DAR - TK J (not lie-flat, but very private. We had nice sleeps)
DAR - SIN - ET J (lie flat)
SIN-DPS-SIN KLM J (lie-flat we paid for this flight as it was over MPM)
SIN - NRT ANA J (with 23 hours in Tokyo which was fun)
HND - YVR ANA J (This flight was HORRIBLE. They switched to an old 787 plane with the worst business class seats I have EVER seen)
YVR - YYC AC Y (we did standby for free to get on an earlier flight which only had Y available).

Thanks again everyone!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
THANK YOU!!! With your assistance and about 20 hours of reserach, I just returned from a honeymoon mini-RTW that was amazing!
Nice - too bad about ANA, I usually like them a lot.

Other than Bali, did you stop anywhere else for more than a day?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Nice - too bad about ANA, I usually like them a lot.

Other than Bali, did you stop anywhere else for more than a day?
Yes, we stopped for 5 days in Istanbul, we stopped for 2 weeks in DAR (went to a safari in Selous and the island of Zanzibar), and for 5 days in Singapore (SIN was technically our "turn")
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Yes, we stopped for 5 days in Istanbul, we stopped for 2 weeks in DAR (went to a safari in Selous and the island of Zanzibar), and for 5 days in Singapore (SIN was technically our "turn")
Nice trip.
Glad you had a chance to use the mini RTW to its full potential.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:13 pm

I am looking to book a trip to Athens next Summer/Fall. I am just in the planning stages now. I am hoping to book 3 seats in F. I realize this may be tough/impossible. However, seat problem aside, is it possible to route through Asia to get to Athens? I am looking at departing from the West Coast somewhere (I am flexible). If I go LAX-NRT-IST-ATH with a stop less than 24 hours in Tokyo and return ATH-FRA-LAX, would this be 210k or 160k points?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splicer100
I am looking to book a trip to Athens next Summer/Fall. I am just in the planning stages now. I am hoping to book 3 seats in F. I realize this may be tough/impossible. However, seat problem aside, is it possible to route through Asia to get to Athens? I am looking at departing from the West Coast somewhere (I am flexible). If I go LAX-NRT-IST-ATH with a stop less than 24 hours in Tokyo and return ATH-FRA-LAX, would this be 210k or 160k points?
Generally speaking, you cannot route from NA to Europe via Asia.

However, you can often route from NA to Asia via Europe (and pay for a NA-Asia award). This tends to work best with Southeast Asia due to MPM limitations (e.g. BKK, SIN).

Sample routing would be LAX-NRT-SINx-IST-ATHx-FRA/MUC/LHR-LAX
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tifosi
If you manage to book the routing you listed, yes, it should be quite a bit cheaper.

Not that I'm aware of; that info is scattered throughout this thread/forum. Good luck!
Thanks for all your help!

Managed to book this:

YEG YYZ AC162 I
YYZ EWR AC7650 I
JFK BRU SN502 I STOP
BRU IST TK1938 I
IST HKT TK172 I DEST
HKT BKK TG218 X
BKK NRT TG640 I STOP
NRT YVR AC4 I
YVR YEG AC250 X

Air Travellers Security Charge (CA) $25.91
Canada Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287 RT0001) (XG) $1.50
Combined taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, see fare calculation below (XT) $193.55

Total in Canadian dollars : 220.96

155,000 miles per person
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Generally speaking, you cannot route from NA to Europe via Asia.

However, you can often route from NA to Asia via Europe (and pay for a NA-Asia award). This tends to work best with Southeast Asia due to MPM limitations (e.g. BKK, SIN).

Sample routing would be LAX-NRT-SINx-IST-ATHx-FRA/MUC/LHR-LAX
That makes sense. I was just wondering if I found a routing that came in under the MPM if Aeroplan would ticket it at the lower rate. I believe the MPM for LAX-ATH is 11471. Seems quite high.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splicer100
That makes sense. I was just wondering if I found a routing that came in under the MPM if Aeroplan would ticket it at the lower rate. I believe the MPM for LAX-ATH is 11471. Seems quite high.
Not completely impossible if you find a routing under MPM.

If the MPM for LAX-ATH indeed is that generous, but may be able to get it ticketed; for the most part I've only seen both a TATL and TPAC routing being valid for destinations such as Azerbaijan (technically still Europe 2) etc.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:15 pm

I've done IST-ICN-YVR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.