Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

sharing miles for air canada top tier prog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sharing miles for air canada top tier prog

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Smile sharing miles for air canada top tier prog

Hi

Me and my family will be traveling from YOW to SIN soon. There are four of us. I know that miles sharing is possible for aeroplan members but does anyone know if my family's miles can be transferred to me so that I can achieve the prestige/elite status?

many thanks
zeems
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT

Status miles can only be credited to the person whose name is on the ticket. They cannot be shared.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I'm under the impression that status miles can only be earned through flying.

[edit: gah, airbus320 beat me D: ]
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
To further explain, when you actually fly on a Star Alliance airline, you get Status miles credited to the account of the actual person flying. Aeroplan keeps track of these miles, which reset on an annual basis. Status miles cannot be shared.

You also get redeemable miles (RDM) that can be used for getting flights for free. These miles can be shared or bought, and do not reset (provided you have one transaction per year).

So to answer your question, you family can transfer their RDM miles (at 2 cents per mile I believe) to you, but they cannot transfer their status miles.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by DaveTO
So to answer your question, you family can transfer their RDM miles (at 2 cents per mile I believe) to you, but they cannot transfer their status miles.
Or 1 cpm when they have a sale.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by getaround
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Or 1 cpm when they have a sale.
Or for free, if they just use their miles to book your ticket, rather than doing any transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.