Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note to self:

Avoid travel to the USA until the insane overreactions are reeled in.

I am happy to be retired and in control of my travel destinations.

My sympathy to the road warriors who must travel to the USA.

On another note, this is a plus for AC who can advertize connections through Canada.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Looks like this is going to lead to an opperational melt down. Not sure how this can be good for anyone.

Have a look at some random flights and pretty much every flight to the US is delayed about 2 hours (sometimes 3) today. They've updated their website with a plea asking you to carryon nothing and that you can check all that you want... perhaps a Christmas present for dishonest package handlers, a shopping spree in the baggage hold.

Not clear to me why Canada is being singled out as they appear to have done nothing at all for flights within the US. Perhaps there is a specific threat?

So far only BA and AC seem to have done anything, but clearly AC is in the worst position to handle a US bound flight policy as they have to be #1 in terms of numbers of international flights bound to the US.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Not clear to me why Canada is being singled out as they appear to have done nothing at all for flights within the US. Perhaps there is a specific threat?
Gosh, could it be the security experts - as opposed to all the "experts" on FT - actually know what they are talking about?

Cheers,
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
The alternative being doing nothing? No, first update I heard yesterday I knew this would go down the same path as the Richard Reid shoebomber scare and sadly that first reaction seemed to have been borne out by the reaction to this latest incident.
Yes in some cases it might be better to do nothing then move forward with a knee-jerk over reaction...actually better yet, actually screen for bad people, rather than questionable items in their belongings. At most airports in Canada pax will have already cleared US customs; maybe let the people who's job it is to keep baddies out actually do their job.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
delays

Just heard that flights departing Pearson are experiencing delays of 1+ hours this morning

Enforcing the 1 carry-on and gate checks
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Of note - I haven't yet seen any indication on restrictions on US Airlines or within the US - nothing on any of the US carrier websites nor on FT.

Is it international airlines and/or departure points only?

Simon
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I'm already avoiding the US as much as I can!!

No locking of checked in bags, shoes off at security, now with these ridiculous new rules. When are they going to start mandatory sedation of all passengers while onboard?

I would rather risk having a terrorist attack than being subject to these unnecessary stupid procedures!!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Soon we will all be travelling nude (this will be interesting) with everyone handcuffed before boarding the plane (also will be very interesting..

These new security policies could be party time for all
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
The alternative being doing nothing?
I can see your point, I just don't see the point...if you get what i mean.

Nowadays people still carry their nail files and swiss army knives - but now they have them confiscated (most of the time). The shoes and ever increasing amounts of electronics now hold everyone up at security. Security people have arguments with passengers over the size of their shampoo bottles and whether something is a liquid or a gel. None of these things make me feel safer especially when, almost 10 years after the "big event", a guy still got on a plane with something he shouldn't have had and he did something he shouldn't have done and all these layers of security didn't do a damn thing about it.

There are bad people out there who want to do bad things and bad things sometimes happen - I understand that - but freaking out after the event doesn't help, if it worked then this decade would have turned out a lot differently.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by airbus320
Note to self:

Avoid travel to the USA until the insane overreactions are reeled in.

I am happy to be retired and in control of my travel destinations.

My sympathy to the road warriors who must travel to the USA.

On another note, this is a plus for AC who can advertize connections through Canada.
Exactly. Hello Europe, Australia, Mexico. Goodbye Excited States.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba
I would rather risk having a terrorist attack than being subject to these unnecessary stupid procedures!!
Pas moi. My life - and that of my family - is far more important than any challenges posed by complying with a few simple safety procedures.

Also, I question how much any Pearson delays this morning really have to do with these checks - as opposed to the nasty flying weather we've been experiencing - especially in the US northeast - for the last few days.

Cheers,
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by Flews

Still, it's a sign of the times, for our own protection.
Somebody drank the Kool-Aid.
The madness may be a sign of the times; it is NOT for our own protection.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Now what about flights to Europe originating in Canada? Still on carry-on?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:14 am

Has anyone heard what the major airlines are going to do in response to this limited carry-on rule? Will we continue to have to pay $15 to $25 per piece of luggage checked under this new regimen?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:16 am

I will likely curtail my US trips too until this settles down. Why bother with the hassle?

When we flew out of AMS this September (enroute to DUB), my wife and I were surprised by the security measures in place--it all seemed very lax and disorganized. I know there is much theatre to what we see in any case over here, but AMS seemed particularly for show. Maybe that was a one off experience.

I just noticed that the Globe and Mail has a rather old stock photo of aircraft on its homepage--there even a Tango logoed plane inthe shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.