Wiki Posts
Search

Is AC service deteriorating ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2000, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is AC service deteriorating ?

I have noticed for the past few months various comments that AC service is deteriorating? The various threads on designing the perfect airline and the many comments that resulted from this exercise have been very enlightening. My questlion is how do we benchmarch AC's delivery of service and grade their performance ? We all have various expectations of service. The document being produced on the design of a top notch airline will establish user expectations. What are the next steps to ensure continuous qualtity improvement on AC,s part?
Old Jun 10, 2000, 12:19 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
The service and experience I had on AC yesterday (LHR-YYZ) was amazing. The FA's, the pilots, the concierge desk, lounge staff, etc...were all great. Only one complaint....dicontinued socks in J class...which I really like cause I don't want to appear rude by taking my shoes off for a 7+ hour flight.

BTW, got to sit in the cockpit for the last 2 hours of flight + landing (in heavy crosswind) in a 747.

Dorian!
Old Jun 11, 2000, 7:30 am

I have no doubt that AC service has deteriorated - I take AC's word for it! In a recent interview in the Trade Magazine 'Business Travel World' Bob Atkinson, General Manager Passenger Sales for Air Canada admitted as much when asked "are the good times just around the corner?" he replied "We face a whole host of issues that do take time; however we are moving forward".

Hardly are ringing endorsement.

Old Jun 11, 2000, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Merry: I don't wish to be overly defensive of AC. They do have major challenges after the merger. The main challenge in my estimation is to settle the fundamental staff issues: pay equity, seniority, staff feeling valued by management etc. As an executive, I have experienced that when you figuratively give staff " a dollar, you receive five in return" AC must treat its staff with fairness, justice and compassion. Valued staff are happy and productive.. Quality service is then a natural by-product of the process. In HR, the "me questions and me issues" are fundamental. Staff need to know quickly their rightful place in the new organization. Meet that challenge and you are on the right path to quality.
I do however concede to you that AC being a quasi monopoly has become somewhat complacent
and has sometimes taken the customer for granted. This is an issue for the board. Happy customers are repeat customers. A sure way to maximize shareholder value is to ensure that quality service, safety, a sound reputation in the industry are foremost in the organization's mind.
I am an AC supporter...but I am not naive. AC has major challenges to meet. I am prepared to wait and see. I will however continue to provide the airline with feedback. If they don't listen after a reasonable lenght of time, I will take my business elsewhere when feasible
Old Jun 12, 2000, 6:42 am

Airbus: I don't think your comments are at all overly defensive of AC. you have recognised that some deterioration of service has taken place and as an HR professional myself I am always happy for anyone to regocnise the importance of my profession!

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.