Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WestJet joins AC as a new Air Miles partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2000, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Was just checking my various airline and hotel accounts this evening, and also took a look at my Air Miles account. Tomorrow, June 8th, WestJet joins as their newest airline partner. This means they have links to almost every scheduled carrier flying into, and transborder from, Canada: AC, CP, AA, UA, NW and WestJet not to mention KLM.

Also, for those who collect Air Miles -- or whose spouse does -- and have not checked out the web site, it has really been improved since they had their hacker incident last year. Account information is now posted and updated each two weeks and the balance is current to the day you sign on.

I also understand that they are planning to try another entry into the U.S. market. It is not known if Canadian cards will earn points on purchases in the 'states. (This is not possible with the British program.)

Old Jun 8, 2000, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
When I was in the Netherlands, I was tempted to whip out my AirMiles (Canada) card a couple of times, but I think the grocery store checkout clerk would have been hopelessly confused. It was interesting to see the AirMiles program in another country.

FewMiles..
Old Jun 8, 2000, 8:00 pm
Original Member

I'm curious--did you in Canada ever have trading stamps (S&H, Top Value, etc) because AirMiles seems pretty similar to that. What was the story in the USA--I vaguely remember AirMiles from about 5 yrs ago?

jl
Old Jun 8, 2000, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
During the 50s and early 60s we did -- in Ontario at least -- have S&H Green stamps. I remember sticking these things into books and taking them back to Loblaws for my mother. I seem to recall there was another brand of stamps also offered for a while, but one's memory does give out after a while... I think these others were plaid, on a Scottish theme, offered by either IGA or Dominion.

Air Miles started in Britain in the 80s and was the original FF program that BA had, until they introduced their own travel oriented Executive Club program. I'm not sure what their Air Miles link is now. Air Miles entered the U.S. market about the same time they started up in Canada in the early 90s, but it fizzled rather quickly and folded.

I get the sense Air Miles is stronger out here in western Canada where Safeway is the primary partner, and major grocery chain. That may explain why it was important to get WestJet into the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.