Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hangin' @ LHR...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2000, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
hangin' @ LHR...

I'm sitting in the MLL @ LHR. The Empress Lounge has been connected (maybe it always was?) via a 3 metre long passageway. I went over there to get some chips...hate the unsalted almonds AC switched to last year. The Empress side seems to be closed after 13:30 though...probably due to the light loads after that time.

All Canadian newspapers are gone but it would be old news anyway! The amenities in the lounge (drinks, food, etc.) are unchanged.

The lounge is VERY busy as the flight to YYZ is delayed due to ATC radar problems.

The front desk has both AC and Canadian signs and the ladies are all wearing their respective outfits and get along very well. It is a good feeling to see the integration working out here.

Anyone know why you need an AC issued paper slip to get into the MLL here @ LHR? Why couldn't I just show my boarding pass or SE card like all other MLL's?

Dorian
Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I don't think that the connected lounge is an Empress Lounge, I am pretty sure it is still NH's lounge.

When things were busy around 1100 - 1300 they used to open it up to add extra space onto the MLL. (And it appears they still do).

The slip of paper is meant to prevent arriving passengers from using the MLL (which is a violation of HM Customs Regulations). If you are departing from or connecting through LHR, you get the invitation at check-in (or the transit desk) to prove that you are not arriving, so they can let you in.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As CP has operated out of T4 for the past several years and used BA's lounge facilities, the Empress Club you talk about must have been something else a month ago. It may have been used by CP when it flew from T3 prior to the transfer of flights to T4, but BAA wouldn't have mothballed the space for that long without finding a new use for it. (I can't recall where the Empress Club was back then. I know AC had two, one along the corridor near one of its gates, the other in the main lounge complex.)
Old Jun 9, 2000, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
CP was never in T3. When they finally got into LHR they flew into T2.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It may have been used by CP when it flew from T3 prior to the transfer of flights to T4,
That's incorrect. CP used to operate from T2 and then moved to T4 in late 1996/early 1997. It's quite possible they did operate from T3 before that. I didn't get a chance to see which lounge they used in T2 but they have been using the BA Lounge since they moved to T4.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 06-09-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.