Wiki Posts
Search

S. Africa/World Cup 2010 Q's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stimpy
I can't help but think it might be best to stay home and watch on TV! Sorry, couldn't resist.
Fair, you'll see more game and it will be much cheaper, but you will also miss on the time of your life. I have been to the 86,94,98,03 and 06 WCs and other than special lifetime events I wouldn't trade any of these for anything else. More importantly, traveling to the WC in style is the reason I started to collect miles
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Originally Posted by Roger
Yes. Remember the Beijing Olympics?

Ahead of the games, prices were sky high. Just before the start, there was a glut and loads of rooms were offloaded at more reasonable prices, almost dumping. Part of this was a huge oversupply of new hotels (unlikely in SA) but it also had to do with the market not being willing to pay exorbitant prices.

I can't help thinking that if anybody is prepared to take the risk, it might be an idea to book some expensive cancellable rooms now and then if more reasonable prices turn up, cancel and rebook.
The problem is that many of the hotels have been bought for the entire event for the packages that Cheetah mentioned. This seriously limits the availability. I dont think you can compare Beijing to Joburg. Joburg is not a tourist city - very much a business centre which is now going to be the hub of the world's biggest event.

If I had booked my flight & matches tickets already I would definitely sort out my accomodation well before the event.

I agree with Sagy. The Olympics & WC are amazing events to experience for any serious sports fan. I have never encountered a city in a better light than Sydney in 2000. The same apprehension that I saw (I was living there at the time) in the leadup to those games is clearly visible amongst my friends in Joburg. Can you actually imagine visiting Joburg when there is a proper level of security? I cant wait.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by boar
The problem is that many of the hotels have been bought for the entire event for the packages that Cheetah mentioned. This seriously limits the availability.
Sure. Do you think all those packages will be sold at the prices currently being offered?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Sure. Do you think all those packages will be sold at the prices currently being offered?

No but the organizers will still control the hotel availability. As I mentioned in my original offering this WC is completely different to previous tournaments as there will be far more fans with 5/6/7 match series tickets.

I think the sensible strategy is to rent a house/apt for the duration of one's stay within the Joburg/Pretoria area and then travel to the games in Durban,PE,CT etc. Given the no of matches in the Joburg/Pretoria area I am not sure there will be too many last minute bargains in Gauteng.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:58 pm

Motorhome advice

While we are on the topic of homebase ... we have secured a motorhome for a couple of weeks. We did this in Germany for 06 with great results (we spent a good amount of time parked in the middle of Munich - great experience).

However, as I look at all the motorhome parks in SA, it looks like they are often pretty far outside of town. Ideally, we would like to situate in town (Pretoria, Durban, etc.) for a few days. We really only use the motorhome parks to refill on water, drain out the bad, etc.

What do people think about the prospect of finding secure parking or paying someone to stay on their property so that we have a safe place to park, but are still in the city? Alternatively, would it be better to drive into town everyday and find a secure car park?

We're a bit concerned about security, but I really can't get a good feel for security around staying in a motorhome in a city (excluding Joburg of course).
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Sagy
Fair, you'll see more game and it will be much cheaper, but you will also miss on the time of your life. I have been to the 86,94,98,03 and 06 WCs and other than special lifetime events I wouldn't trade any of these for anything else.
Me neither. I've been to the last Cup and the '98 Cup (well I didn't have to travel much as I live in France), several NBA finals, World Series, Stanley Cup finals, Winter Olympics, la Liga at Camp Nou, etc.

All those events had easy access to luxury and non luxury accommodations with the exception of the Nagano Winter Olympics. And in that case I just took the bullet train back to Tokyo at the end of each day. I will hold off judgment for now as I think SA will rise to the occasion, but it ain't gonna be easy for a lot of people to attend this cup.

That said, watching football in Africa is a hoot and I fully expect one and maybe two African teams to make it out of group stage. Going to those final matches will be a blast even if you have to sleep in a bag next to a fire. But if I did go, I would significantly lower my experiences when it comes to accommodations, in country travel, organization, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
I secured lodging very close to Cape Town stadium at reasonable rates, but booked it 4 months ago and had to pay 50% non-refundable 8 months in advance. My concern right now is domestic flights, as my reward flight only takes me to JNB and I have to get to CPT, and right now domestic returns are $600, even on the discount airlines. ROBBERY
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaturtle
I secured lodging very close to Cape Town stadium at reasonable rates, but booked it 4 months ago and had to pay 50% non-refundable 8 months in advance. My concern right now is domestic flights, as my reward flight only takes me to JNB and I have to get to CPT, and right now domestic returns are $600, even on the discount airlines. ROBBERY
which matches do you have tickets for?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:10 am

Programs: BA BD SA
FIFA accommodation bookings now open

This post on the BA forum is about booking accommodation via fifa.com - bookings transferable and cancellable for $25.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bonaturtle
I will also fly into JNB but I arrived a week before the start of the World Cup. I am planning to do the safari at Kruger before flying into DUR prior to the start. I secured one way ticket DUR to PLZ and PLZ to CPT for $90 and $115 respectively on SA as we are planning to stay a few days in each city. This was done in early September though.

Flight back to JNB proves to be a nightmare at this point. Will figure it out at some point.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by joefiro
I will also fly into JNB but I arrived a week before the start of the World Cup. I am planning to do the safari at Kruger before flying into DUR prior to the start. I secured one way ticket DUR to PLZ and PLZ to CPT for $90 and $115 respectively on SA as we are planning to stay a few days in each city. This was done in early September though.

Flight back to JNB proves to be a nightmare at this point. Will figure it out at some point.
Have you already booked your Kruger Safari?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:35 am

Have you already booked your Kruger Safari?
I have not. I am probably pushing it by not having it reserved by now. I am still working out the transport to Nelspruit (most likely on train) which based on my research 2 months ago is not available for reservation yet.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by joefiro
I have not. I am probably pushing it by not having it reserved by now. I am still working out the transport to Nelspruit (most likely on train) which based on my research 2 months ago is not available for reservation yet.
Ouch. That may hurt. I can imagine there may be limited availability for individual travellers.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:19 pm

Ouch. That may hurt. I can imagine there may be limited availability for individual travellers.
I finally got my flight from JNB - MQP (Nelspruit) and from MQP to DUR. I was planning to take the Premier Train from JNB to MQP but when I called yesterday, I was told premier train only runs from JNB to CPT and vice versa during June and July.

I may have to start looking hard for the safari.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, WN
Hey all, I have Italy TST-6 tickets. If anyone is going to be at the same matches as me feel free to ping me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.