Community
Wiki Posts
Search

S. Africa/World Cup 2010 Q's

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Poster

S. Africa/World Cup 2010 Q's

Hi All -- New to the boards. Just wanting to start a conversation or two about expectations for the World Cup in South Africa in 2010.

Two, of many, things on my mind right now...

- Any opinions on air fare costs next June? I'll be travelling from the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. I've been using prices for June, 2009 as a rough guide for budgeting purposes. I can get a R/T to JNB for about $1300. Not bad, if you ask me. But I'm expecting a healthy bump in that price for June, 2010. Although I'm assuming many airlines will be adding capacity so I'm not sure how that impacts fares.

- I'm also looking for advice on booking hotel reservations for the trip. The drama here is that we don't know until December where our team (Go Yanks!) will be playing, so it's tough to pull the trigger beforehand. I'm looking for hotels similar to Holiday Inn Express here in the US.

Any advice on hotel brands? City Lodge? Sun? Any tips on beating out the million other people looking to book rooms?

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: * A
hi kooknboo, I am also on a similar boat w/ confirmed tix to the games. Lets see if any of the experts would chime in. I am also looking at game reserves as staying options. thanks!
Old May 25, 2009, 12:40 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Not exactly the scoop of the year, but I thought I would point out 2 local chains that you are unlikely to be familiar with: Protea Hotels and City Lodge. Protea is a bit more upmarket (think maybe Fourpoints by Sheraton) while City Lodge has a number of brands ranging from basic (think maybe Ibis) to aparthotels.

As for airfares, I guess the problem will be that cheap buckets will sell out well in advance leaving only the more expensive fares by the time the matches are announced. Not sure there's a viable strategy to avoid that except maybe to keep track of the less popular routings, e.g. via the Middle East.
Old May 26, 2009, 2:46 pm

They drew R16 @ CPT (Match 56) and QF @ JNB (Match 58) for me.
What about u guys?
Old May 26, 2009, 3:04 pm

Hi
Am brand new to this. But City Lodge are great hotels (2-4 star brand) Try Citylodge.co.za. or citylodgehotels.co.za not sure which is correct.
Cheers
parrish
Joburg, South Africa
Old May 27, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I normally use the SouthernSun chain while on business down here - they range from 3* to 5* - so there's a choice there.

You'll find all the normal brands down here too - such as Hilton, SAS Radisson, IC - and at western prices too :@
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
I have follow your team with my country "Spain" all the way to the QF. So as I have tickets and still don´t know where Spain will be playing, I only need to get air fare to South Africa. Will try to get mileage tickets first and if that doesn´t work, then I ll look for paid tickets.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: AA,Millemiglia,Smiles,AR Plus,Distancia,LanPass
Originally Posted by MarcelL_GER
What about u guys?
Match 9-June 14th JNB
Match 52-R16-June 27th JNB
Match 53-R16-June 28th DURBAN
That's what I got. Hopefully my team Argentina will be in there. Couldn't get the follow your team series ticket.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Exclamation Booking for Kruger & other SA National Parks now open for June/July 2010

For those of you planning to add some game viewing to your soccer trip...
SANParks wishes to inform you that bookings for accommodation in all its National Parks including Kruger National Park for both June and July 2010 will open on the 1st July 2009.

This decision was taken to facilitate a smooth booking process across all SANParks accommodation facilities during the FIFA 2010 Soccer World Cup period. The FIFA 2010 Soccer World Cup takes place from 11 June to 11 July 2010.

The opening of reservations for two months at a time will be a once off strategy for this period and reservations for August 2010 and onwards will revert back to the usual 11 months in advance and one month at a time.

To make your booking for this period please contact SANParks Central Reservations on phone +27-(0)12-428-9111 or contact your travel agent.

NB: The rules governing the reservations made directly through our website remains the same and are not affected by this arrangement.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:58 pm

thanks Cheetah_SA I was looking at the Singeeta during WC 2010. Lets see if we can score a few rooms.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by MarcelL_GER
What about u guys?
we have Match 58 as well at JNB. Have you finalized your hotel/air yet?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
I have the match in CPT on June 11th (opening day) and a match in CPT on the 14th. Could care less about the countries, so hopefully that will make my chances of award tickets a bit higher.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA, AA
Unhappy Durban doldrums

We have tickets for 2 matches including a June 28 match in Durban. Can't seem to land a place to stay in town. Have tried FIFA's accomodations link and hotel chain websites (i.e. Hilton). Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was just in Durban a few days ago. There are a lot of hotels along the water including 3 or 4 Holiday Inns and many non-chain hotels. I stayed at the Hilton, but I imagine it will be hard and very expensive to get rooms at these hotels. If it were me I would arrive on a morning flight and just walk the strip and ask at each hotel if they have a last minute cancellation that I might take advantage of. Or someones home operating as a B&B.

Durban is a real fun place to visit and reasonably warm this time of year. I'm sure you will have fun.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by stimpy
I was just in Durban a few days ago. There are a lot of hotels along the water including 3 or 4 Holiday Inns and many non-chain hotels.
No Holiday Inns in Durban for quite a while now since the franchise held by Southern Sun ended. Of course, the hotels are still there, operated as Southern Sun and Garden Court (not HIGC) hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.