S. Africa/World Cup 2010 Q's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

S. Africa/World Cup 2010 Q's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: emirates, BA, Virgin
Accomodation has the appearance of being difficult but I was recently speaking to someone who is in the Hotel industry in SA and it is not a problem. The main reason for a lack of accomodation on the WC website is FIFA greed (are we surprised). Apparently if you want to be an official accomodation provider you sign a lengthly cntract with Match (Fifa's travel arm) and then they have exclsive use of your premises, the catch is they will only pay you 6 to 9 months AFTER the World Cup!!! So some smaller chains and B&B's are keeping their "powder dry". I would just arrive and look for accomodation on the day.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Exclamation

It looks like Nakheel's project to send the QE2 to Cape Town is being whacked by local authorities.

It makes sense. As mentioned by the previous poster, South Africa probably has sufficient accomodation availabble for the 2012 FIFA World Cup.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_i...4253530C685672

DA slams QE2 decision
September 03 2009 at 01:43PM
By Clayton Barnes

The Queen Elizabeth 2, or QE2, will ship millions out of the country and deny locals a fair business opportunity if it berths along the Cape coast in 2010, Parliament's select committee on trade and international relations has heard.

Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
World Cup in South Africa?

I don't mean to hijack this thread of very practical advice on travel and lodging in South Africa during the World Cup, but are any of you concerned that the tournament might not actually happen in South Africa, and in fact be moved to another venue?

Since well before the Confederations Cup in June there have been articles in the press about how far S.A. is behind in the construction of new stadiums, the further delays caused by strikes, etc.

Then there are the personal security concerns.

Yesterday our national newspaper El Mundo ran an article questioning FIFA's commitment to South Africa, and saying that informal and discreet inquiries have been made to other countries -- including the US -- about hosting the championship, if the plug should be pulled on South Africa.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte...251962342.html

Enormous complications, of course, since apparently Sepp Blatter got himself elected President of FIFA with African votes, by promising to hold the next World Cup in an African venue. To backtrack on this would substantially mean to lose his position when this term is up.

Then there are the accusations of "racism" and "imperialism" that have already been thrown about by the South African authorities, including the President, in the Caster Semenya case, and that would increase by a thousand-fold if the World Cup were moved.

Does anyone know just how far FIFA's thinking has gone in this matter, and what direction it is taking?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I think there is zero chance of it not being held in SA. Do you remember the Athens Olympics? There were the same level of speculative news articles on how poorly prepared Athens was. I have traveled around SA a couple times this year and it is amazing what the country has done so far to prepare. Yes there are serious problems and I guarantee there will be people who are inconvenienced by one thing or another and maybe a serious problem or two. But the matches will go on.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:57 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by CDG1

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_i...4253530C685672

DA slams QE2 decision
September 03 2009 at 01:43PM
By Clayton Barnes

The Queen Elizabeth 2, or QE2, will ship millions out of the country and deny locals a fair business opportunity if it berths along the Cape coast in 2010, Parliament's select committee on trade and international relations has heard.

This sort of political point scoring (whether it is the DA or the ANC) really gets me going!

""Instead of bringing in the QE2, we should be looking at getting more local and township accommodation service providers on board," said Van Lingen.

What a load of c*&p!

Although a few Word Cup visitors may be interested in 'township accomodation' (I get worried when I try to think what that may be....And I wonder if you get there by minibus taxi ), the majority will want 'first world style' accomodation that is within a short distance from the stadium and the spectators park (I think that's what they call it). I would be most surprised if that was going to be sufficiently available. I really dont think a lot of people will want to stay in Paarl, Stellenbosch or Riebeeck Kasteel.....
To put a ship in the harbour that can hold a thousand people or so makes eminent sense to me.

And yes, spainflyer, I agree with stimpy that the 2010WC will be held in South Africa. And it will be good!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Now, now, thijsseh, calm down and take a few deep breaths. Politicians will never change so don't let them get to you.

I am surprised about the reports of the stadia being behind. Locally we are told that they are ahead of schedule. Certainly the one I see taking shape before my very eyes every day already has its glass roof on. And the strike was very short-lived (to my intense surprise - I mean they have them over a barrel for once) and I am sure was factored into the planning.

As for the QE2: why is it wanting to dock next month when it it is ostensibly only going to be needed for a couple of days next year? Dubai World already owns the Waterfront now they effectively want to plonk another hotel there. Not sure everything is above board here. The deal was probably agreed when the deputy president took her entire family to Dubai on a junket a few years ago.

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Sep 5, 2009 at 4:42 am Reason: freudian slip: "vice" president ;)
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:47 am

Question

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

As for the QE2: why is it wanting to dock next month when it it is ostensibly only going to be needed for a couple of days next year?
Why only a couple of days?
It seems that CT has a good number of matches lined up on a lot of different days and then also eighth and quarter finals.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...hedule7709.pdf

Do you think the ship is really needed?
Don't they already have sufficient accomodation to host all the visitors?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:39 am

OK, "couple" was an exaggeration! There will be 8 matches played in CT. Even if visitors were to stay here the whole month it hardly seems like a good reason to dock the QE2 here 9 months in advance.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:41 pm

Question

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Even if visitors were to stay here the whole month it hardly seems like a good reason to dock the QE2 here 9 months in advance.
You are absolutely right.
Why would they send the ship so long ahead of time?

I suppose that the ship's new owners are not the ones to decide. Also the QE2 will take up a lot of space in the harbour if they let her.

Which authorities in South Africa are to make the final decision on giving permission for the ship to dock or is it depending on Cape Town administration alone?

Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:50 am

Greetings all

I have a bunch of tickets for WC2010 already, spread between CPT & JNB. As I will arrive in South Africa before the tournement kicks off, I have been looking for a 3 sector *A Africa Pass between JNB-WDH-CPT-JNB.

My agent here in NZ is telling me that she can reserve everything except that the is currently no availability on the CPT to JNB sector for any date around 16 June in either business or economy class. She has queried this with South African Airlines and they have informed her that all the flights are "sold out due to the Soccer World Cup". I am not even able to waitlist.

Are all SAA fights during the tournement already sold out, or are they just being blocked out until a later date...?

Anyone have any advice on the best way to meet the above itinerary...?

All feedback welcomed....
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:21 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
spiglord, as you can read in a few other posts on this forum, the consensus opinion is that SAA are not currently releasing seats for the 2010WC period, not that they are all actually sold. That is an opinion, not a proven fact. The expectation is that seats will be released after the final draw, which is in December (the 4th, if my memory serves me correctly). In what fare buckets these will be is an open and unanswered question, in which bucket does the Africa pass book?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:25 am

Just to corroborate thijsseh 's post - I mailed our corporate travel coordinator today in the context of business travel during WC2010 and her response was:
All the suppliers are waiting for the 4 December for the official WC2010 fixture draw and then they will apparently start releasing information.... but as soon as we have any definite detail we plan on drawing up a guideline document for travellers.
Apparently car hire firms have assured her there will be cars for corporate clients but nothing is known for hotels and air tickets. I'll post if there are any developments.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
WC 2010 -- Here I come !!!

I have scored tickets to these games:

Match 45 - G4 v G1 - 25 June 16:00 Durban Stadium
Match 53 - R16 - 1E v 2F - 28 June 16:00 Durban Stadium
Match 52 - R16 - 1B v 2A - 27 June 20:30 Soccer City Stadium

And then stay until the QF to see how things play out or see if I can pick up a ticket to go see Brazil play !!

Hopefully, we can have an FT do in the same time if anyone will be willing to meet up.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Base in Cape Town

Originally Posted by anaggie
I have scored tickets to these games:

Match 45 - G4 v G1 - 25 June 16:00 Durban Stadium
Match 53 - R16 - 1E v 2F - 28 June 16:00 Durban Stadium
Match 52 - R16 - 1B v 2A - 27 June 20:30 Soccer City Stadium

And then stay until the QF to see how things play out or see if I can pick up a ticket to go see Brazil play !!

Hopefully, we can have an FT do in the same time if anyone will be willing to meet up.
I got tickets to 11 games so far (going with friends). There are 4 games we won't be able to attend (3 of them in Jo'burg inc. the QF at Soccer City). We will be in Cape Town for the most part (3 weeks). We have secured accommodation for our stay there. Will be in Durban at the opening ceremony and then travel down to Port Elizabeth and Cape Town.

These are games we are attending
Match 7 - D1 v D2 - 13 June (Durban)
Match 23 - C1 v C3 - 18 June (Cape Town)
Match 30 - G4 v G2 - 21 June (Cape Town)
Match 44 - E1 v E4 - 24 June (Cape Town)
Match 56 - R16 - 1H v 2G - 29 June (Cape Town)
Match 59 - QF - 2 v 4 - 3 July (Cape Town)
Match 64 - F - Winner I v Winner II - 11 July (Jo'burg)

Will try to secure ticket to Match 13 on June 15 in Port Elizabeth and the SF Match 61 on July 6 in Cape Town.

If your plan is set, you might want to secure the domestic flight asap. Price is still reasonable, except for the CPT - JNB which was about $120 2 weeks ago and now is already at $250. I got flight from DUR - PLZ for $90 and PLZ - CPT for about $115 (all one-way.)

Not sure about JNB - DUR for you though. Looks like you have game in Durban then Joburg and then back to Durban. :-)
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:44 am

Here's a link to a local newspaper report on the accommodation/transport/security situation wrt WC2010. I have no idea how accurate this reporting is, I merely post for information on what is being reported locally.

Some things that caught my eye:
As the scramble for flights, accommodation and match tickets began in earnest, visitors were urged to use official tour operators and beware scams.
In other words give generously to FIFA or risk being scammed.

Airline schedules are going to be radically tailored to the game schedule.
"There will be an aviation lift. If, for example, a game is played in Bloemfontein, there will be planes taking off up to midnight to get fans back. There will be some negotiation with the airlines over prices."
Another interesting snippet:
Prices for hotels and guest houses in the smaller host cities have already rocketed by up to five times. Rates vary from R1 000 to R30 000 per night, with luxury suites rising to R49 000, the Star newspaper reported. One beach villa was asking R75 000 a night.
thijsseh, how much are you letting your place for? You could pay for all of next year's travel if you play your cards right! On the other hand you could end up with 10 hooligans having drunken parties/brawls and trashing your home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.